“Excellent Rooms, Very Helpful Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Des Moines, Iowa
“Excellent Rooms, Very Helpful Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

We had 2 rooms. Although a little smaller than some suites, these rooms were excellent. Fully furnished kitchen adds so much to your stay. Even the sofa bed was pretty comfortable. Staff was very helpful at check in and helped us to use the gas grill outside in the patio area so our group could have a picnic. Breakfast had nothing unusual but again, the staff was helpful to get more of whatever we needed. Just wish the motel was closer to downtown, but this was our second stay and we will be back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

Booked directly with the hotel - originally got AAA price of $113 (or was that $114/night?), but when I asked about ski specials, the price dropped to $84/night - quite nice considering I had a reservation for a smaller room at another hotel (at $89/night)! We were in Dubuque to ski @ Sundown (www.sundownmtn.com).

The hotel was a good value - wasn't the cleanest, but the staff were all friendly and helpful. We had a 2 queen bed suite - with full (mini) kitchen - including a full sized fridge, stove and oven. It was a HUGE room in comparison to other hotels, we didn't feel like we were on top of each other. Like I mentioned the room wasn't the cleanest, but we weren't grossed out either.

The continental breakfast included juice, coffee, milk, cereal, muffins, fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels, English muffins and 2 waffle irons. One of the 3 days we stayed, they were out of yogurt, but that was quickly remedied by asking the front desk for more.

All in all, we had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

I have stayed at several of the Choice Hotel Brand but this was my first time at a Main Stay. The layouts of the rooms were nice and roomy but warning this is not one of the best places to say. The front desk staff for the most part was clueless and was not friendly. The rooms were not clean. Our team of business men and women who are all “well traveled” found dirty rooms, several bugs under the sink, dirty dishes, hard beds, and a very very unfriendly staff.

I ask about dry cleaning service and they had no clue. So I allowed them to take the dry cleaning and the lady said oh your other items will be here the next day. Never seen my items and they had the nerve to call me over and over at my new hotel which is much better than this that I owe them money. They lost 3 pair of paints and the dry cleaner or the hotel has no clue. They never followed up with me and acted as if I never had dry cleaning. At this point our staff had chosen to go to another hotel due to the several issues. How can 5 people be this disappointed!

The so call morning breakfast was very limited and bread was stale, they ran out of cereal by the second day and no replacement. The orange juice ran out – the staff person did not even care they just kept working. Compared to other Choice Hotels this is the worst hotel in the system regarding the breakfast.

So we made the best of it for 9 days and now we are at the local Fairfield Inn. We are getting better service and a staff that cares for the same price!!! I have stayed in several hotels over the years and a well seasoned traveler – from staying in from 5 star hotels etc. I understand that a Main Stay would not be at this level but was so disappointed in the service. So don’t stay here unless you really have too….

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Bad Front Desk Staff, Cluess, Lost Reservation Etc., Bad Breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
swartz creek mi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2008

booked 3 days stayed for 2 . staff didn't seem well trained and when they messed up arrogant manager lisa lynch stepped in to call the guest a lier.tried to register a complant but would have had better luck getting in touch with george bush,all roads lead back to manager lynch.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — meeting the manager
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
lynchmomx2, General Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this review, December 1, 2008
I need to respond to this. There was a reason why he was having so much trouble checking out early. Check out is noon and when you go to check out at about 4pm you are charged for that night. The staff had to contact me since most people don't check out at that time and they weren't sure how to handle it.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2006

Our 4-night stay at Mainstay Suites in Dubuque was wonderful! Our rooms were clean, quiet and comfortable. Staff were pleasant and helpful. We enjoyed waking up in the nice breakfast area and grilling in the patio area.
Minor negatives: 1) the exercise room could use improvement, just well-worn; and 2) the room thermostats were difficult to manage.
Overall, we had an excellent vacation, and this hotel played a big part in our satisfaction.

• Stayed May 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2005

Had a reservation for 10/7/05 --- double queen beds- supposed to be a very nice suite. ground floor
Received Discover card statement before our trip and the charges were already on the statement!!!! Not Good!!
Arrived - they had mistakenly booked the room for 9/7/05 and said they were full. These reservations were in my mother's name - a special treat for her and me. Rick was on duty - he finally put us in a room on the 2nd floor - not good - one double bed - not good
there was a piece of the wall lamp in the bed - not good (it was very sharp!)
the bathroom light/vent was so loud you literally could not use either!!
I won't even go into how dirty the room was - absolutely disgusting.
Tried to work with the manager, Penny, who was apparently unreachable when we were having all the trouble the night before. When we asked for a refund of some kind to be placed on my mother's cc we were told NO. I asked her to then comp a room for my parents at some other site within a year and again were told NO. My parents were charged a month ahead for a room that stunk. We are not done yet trying to work this out. We will not stay at this hotel again - ever!! We will be contacting the IOWA Better Business Bureau also and the Consumer Protections Department within the state of IOWA. I am pretty sure it is not legal to over charge willfully.

• Stayed October 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2003

The rooms are like mini apartments. There is a fridge, micro, stove, dishes, silverware, sofa, full vanity. Clean, new, next to restaurants.
Average continental breakfast. Beware, there is no pool.

Been to MainStay Suites? Share your experiences!