“Really caring staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Freeport, Illinois
“Really caring staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I made reservations for three rooms for a one night stay. My fiance' was injured in a bad car accident and I had to cancel the pre-paid rooms that had no refund. When I called them, the front desk clerk passed that info onto the manager who promptly refunded my money. I will definitely re-book down the road with them again. The hotel has integrity and a good staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Things I particularly liked: the shower had excellent water pressure. (That's so rare in hotels!) The bed was very comfortable. The Internet worked great, and the desk clerk remembered to offer us the password before we went up to our room. I didn't use the pool, but my husband and kids did, and they liked it; my husband also used the fitness room and liked it.

Things I was less thrilled with: our room was not really big enough for a rollaway. (I think for more money they have larger rooms; this was a standard queen room.) The A/C made a brief high-pitched noise every time it kicked in that sounded remarkably like an alarm clock. (Once it was on, it ran quietly, though.)

Finally, one other piece of information for travelers: I booked through one of the TripAdvisor links (I think to Travelocity) because even though the hotel's website says it has a "low-price guarantee!" -- the price on the hotel website was $10/night higher than the price I got through TripAdvisor. I kind of prefer to book directly with a hotel rather than via a broker, but if they're not willing to give me the same price...I'll use the broker.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Evansville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed for one night after attending a get together for our family, and found the place to be very delightful! It was a very roomy motel room and was very clean. The bathroom had quite a bit of room in it too. The whole room was very clean smelling and the beds were very comfortable. The morning breakfast was very sufficient and had quite a variety of foods out for use to have.

Room Tip: There were quite a few outlets in the room which was a pleasant surprise. It was very tastefully de...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Basic, ok for overnight stay.

Hotel is very basic, dated country décor. Everything worked fine. Hotel was clean.

The major concern I had was that I could hear the water flushing down the pipes from rooms above. This was very annoying.

Room was comfortable, bed was ok, slept well.

Staff was pleasant.

Wifi was good.

I do like that hotel has microwave and fridge.

I used treadmill in simple workout room, it was ok, a bit squeaky, but ok.

Some items look new, I guess hotel is upgrading some items.

There are some restaurants and shops 5-10 minutes away

The free breakfast was decent, just very busy, crowded and limited space.

Overall basic, clean hotel, pleasant staff and good value for the rate I paid.

Room Tip: Book high floor room to avoid hearing plumbing, toilet flush. Ask for a room away from parking lot...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Santa Fe, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We often stay at Country Inn and Suites motels so naturally we booked a room here when we visited Dubuque, Iowa. There's nothing "wrong" with this motel but there's nothing really "right" about it either.

Our visit got off to a mediocre start at the front desk. The woman who worked there didn't smile, rarely looked up from her paperwork, didn't greet us or make us feel welcome. She wasn't unpleasant or inefficient; she just set an impersonal and indifferent tone. She spoke if spoken to and gave information if asked but clearly but not going to put out any effort unless compelled to.

Our room was OK, clean, and everything worked, but it was dated. Gold accented carpet, gold chair, gold bedspread, and gold drapes; a desk chair that was about 12" too low to make working at the desk possible; thin pillows and a marginal bed; and, a cracked and stained sink. I wondered if the furniture in the room had been bought from another motel that was remodeling and had used stuff for sale.

I also wondered if the motel had been another brand in a prior life. It just didn't have the quality that we've come to expect from Country Inn and Suites.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I've never stayed at a Country Inn and Suites before so I didn't know what to expect. The lobby was beautiful and peaceful, seemed like a great place to curl up with a book, thanks to the little lending library bookshelf. I never got around to using it because when we would return to the hotel, we would be too exhausted! (We were vendors at the Dubuque Renaissance faire- and by "we", I mean myself, boyfriend and future mother-in-law). I simply LOVED the 24/7 coffee, cookies and hot chocolate as well as the complimentary breakfast. The staff were very nice and helpful~ and you had so many choices for breakfast.
Our mini suite was very nice and I enjoyed having the A/C on in the room the whole time. It was nice they left that on for us when we got in.
I couldn't find anything wrong with this hotel and I'd stay here again if we were to return to the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Traveled here to visit the casino downtown. The hotel is a little far but better than staying in smoke smell filled casino hotel. Nice breakfast but very busy. They do need more space on weekends. Rooms are sufficient but really costly for this class hotel in northern Iowa. Would recommend and plants visit again. Take advantage of any discounts and specials if you can.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dubuque? Share your experiences!