“Great food and atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
L.May Eatery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 178 Restaurants in Dubuque
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 10th & Main
Description: A new romantic bistro on the historic 1000 block of Main Street in Dubuque IA. L. May Eatery serves fusion cuisine and pizza in Dubuque, Iowa in a romantic candlelit atmosphere. Enjoy our impeccable service table side or at our full bar. We also have an extensive wine list with anything from a quality glass of pinot to a great special occasion reserve bottle.
cameron
“Great food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We were at this restaurant the last time we visited Dubuque and really liked it... The menu has different selections than a chain restaurant and we enjoyed that. It is fun to try new foods and it was delicious... The wait staff was very friendly.

Visited April 2014
LMayEatery, Owner at L.May Eatery, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for your review and for your support of L.May! We hope to see you again soon. Cheers, Lea

Galena, Illinois
“Not as good as I'd hoped”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I'm really kind of torn on how to rate L.May. It was good, but not as good as I'd hoped.

I was slightly disappointed from the moment we sat down. I had reserved a table for 3, and instead of giving us a table for 4 with an empty seat, they seated us at a table for 2 and crammed a chair in there. So not only was it crowded for us, but the people next to us had to deal with the person between the tables where there normally wouldn't be one. I could understand if we had this for a walk-in, but not with a reservation.

I was also disappointed in my main course. I chose the salmon, and it came under seasons for my taste (forgivable) and overcooked/dry. I tasted the other meals at my table (ravioli, grits) and they were absolutely fantastic, so I know the food here is good. Both appetizer and dessert were excellent.

The wine list was great. Wine by the glass didn't stink, and it wasn't crazy expensive. Bottle prices weren't bad either. And the beer selection was nice too.

Service was also great. Our server checked in often enough to make sure we were taken care of, but not too much to interrupt the conversation.

So, other than seating and my meal, I was pleased. I would still return, I would just not try the salmon a second time.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
LMayEatery, Owner at L.May Eatery, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
We are very sorry that you were disappointed in your seating and your entree, but glad you were able to try others' meals as well as appetizers and dessert! Please do bring these concerns to our attention while you are dining and we will make every effort to correct the situation while you are still here. If you would like to send me an email at dining@lmayeatery.com I would very much like the chance to make it up to you. Thanks, -Lea
Dubuque, Iowa, United States
“Fantastic Dinner.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and myself, and another couple enjoyed dinner at L. May this past Friday evening and had another wonderful experience. We all thoroughly enjoyed our entrees, we received excellent advise from you server, Denise She thoroughly knew the menu, food and cocktails. I had the scallops and they were the best I've ever had in the midwest. Everyone else were equally satisfied with their entrees as well as desert. Denise seems to know just the right moment to serve each course, and to check in with us. We are so happy to have this restaurant!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
LMayEatery, Owner at L.May Eatery, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for your review and for mentioning Denise, she is a huge asset to our restaurant. We hope you return for another double date soon! Cheers, Lea
Dubuque, Iowa
“A sure thing ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

As usual, the best Dubuque has to offer. Good wine, great crab cakes and the Brussels sprouts are fantastic. Nina (our server) was excellent as we're all the staff. You won't be disappointed.

LMayEatery, Owner at L.May Eatery, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for your review and for mentioning Nina! We are so happy to be your go-to spot. Cheers, Lea
DUBUQUE
“Favorite tri-state Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Small & intimate. Change in menu every season. Great chef! Fish, steaks, nitely specials all delicious. Even the pizza is awesome. Our favorite restaurant in the area! Sue

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
LMayEatery, Owner at L.May Eatery, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for your kind review and for making L.May your favorite spot! We hope to see you again soon. Cheers, Lea