“10-hour Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Des Moines
Los Angeles, California
“10-hour Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Very nice hotel, I stay at this hotel chain as often as I can and I'm never disappointed. The staff personalities vary but it's expected, we don't live in a perfect world. My main concern is always a clean comfortable bed and clean bathroom, and safety, of course. The one thing that would be appreciated is outlet access at the nightstand table. I've come in very late at night at times with low batteries on my iPad and cell phone would like to use them while in bed. This would be a big plus. The hotel was being remodeled and there are signs posted apologizing for any mess or noise. I appreciate their efforts as it is not easy to remodel and be occupied at the same time. Non of that interfered with my very much needed sleep. Shuttle picked me up at the airport at 3:30am after my five hour flight delay :D( Hotel is conveniently located across the street from the hotel, I think I waited five minutes. Very nice shuttle driver :D)

Before leaving in the afternoon to meet up with friends in Council Bluffs I had a bowl of soup in their very nice coffee shop where I also picked up some snacks.....3 hour drive ahead. The soup was very tasty and as I ate I noted they had a pleasant eating area next to the indoor pool. Also noted some rooms had a balcony facing the enclosed pool and eating area.

FYI: Do Not speed in Iowa, there are about 4-5 different speed limits, depending where you are driving. In Spencer I got stopped for driving, according to the officer, 30mph in a 20mph zone, I'm sure I was going 25mph. I did not get a ticket. But as I drove away I noted a block from where I was stopped the speed changed to 35mph. Very nice people though, just keep an eye at the speed limit signs.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I had a early Sunday morning flight out of Des Moines. Booked a Park N Fly. Got to hotel about 8:30 after Iowa State game. Mikka at the front desk was OUTSTANDING! She was courteous, helpful and very nice. She pointed out the option of free drink or 250 points for my being a Platinum member. She then asked what time my flight was Sunday morning. I told her and asked what time the I should be at the airport and when the shuttle runs. Since I would be leaving the hotel before breakfast opened she gave be "Breakfast Bag" for Sunday morning. It contained a muffin, banana, orange juice and granola bar. I had never received such a bag previously. To top it off I was upgraded to VERY NICE two room suite. Mikka told me food was available until 10:30. I went the restaurant area and ordered 10 oz Rib Eye with garden salad and California medley. The young man doing the cooking and lady working with him were very friendly. I took the food to my room. The meal was OUTSTANDING! The steak was as good as any steakhouse in Des Moines. This is the second time I have stayed here in the last year. It certainly won't be the last.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

A truly great hotel. Staff is very friendly, hotel is located in a good location, price is reasonable and the hotel itself is very comfortable. I received a breakfast coupon that gave me a good American breakfast included in the price of the hotel. All around a great experience.
I was afraid the vicinity to the airport would mean it was going to be noisy at night, but that did not turn out to be true. Could not think of a better value for the money!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband booked us into this hotel for a 2 night/3 day stay for a family wedding. There was a little confusion when he booked it as far as what room we would stay in because it was really full due to a conference in town, but they reassured him that they would have a room for the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids). Wow did they ever have a room! We stayed in a suite on the third floor and it was really nice! We had 3 connecting rooms, the main room was a living room area with a bar, there was another room with a conference table, desk area and bathroom and finally another room which served as the bedroom with 2 queen size beds (very comfortable) and a decent sized bathroom. We dined in a café area which overlooked a decent sized indoor pool and the food was really good! We only ate breakfast there, but they have a small convenience store with a small restaurant attached. The staff were friendly, the place was clean and if you are flying in and out of Des Moines, it is very conveniently located right across from the Des Moines Airport. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Leandro, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The hotel served my purpose for being there; a place to lay my head at the end of the long flight. I chose it because of the atrium/pool area and the restaurant/lounge it offered. It's a very old hotel and in desperate need of a face lift, so if your looking for modern amenities book somewhere else. My stay wasn't unpleasant, it was just a surprise. The place reminded me of the vacations my family would take when I was a kid, circa the 70's and 80's. I can't remember the last time I swam in a tiled pool and played and been in an arcade with games that cost a quarter. If your looking to reminisce about times long gone this is your place. Some parts were being remodeled, which woulda been good to know before arriving. Lots of workers hanging around with tool belts and jangling keys while I was trying to relax at the pool. They might want to change the water in the hot tub too. It smelled kinda funky. I liked the deep pool and my room with the pool view which I didn't find too noisy cause the rug rats are back in school. The place just needs a interior decorator....bad.

Room Tip: If you don't want airport noise, stay in an inside room. If you don't want kids and family n...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear sunkat70,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with the condition of our facilities. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I visited during the final weekend of the Iowa State Fair. It's an old school HI, which brought back memories of days when HI was the premier hotel chain. Why was that? The pool area is old school, for sure. It has a high ceiling, sorta dome-like, and it has the old-style pool: 9 feet deep on one end. Hotels never put in a pool that is more than 5 feet deep these days. I'll bet there was a small diving board once upon a time, although there wasn't an obvious indication of its absence. Another thing that amused me, the water feature above the pool.

So the pool area makes you think of an old-school HI, our room was clean and mostly modern. Our room had a nice view of the parking spaces on the side of the building, but we didn't care. The bed had soft and firm pillows and we had a nice flat panel TV with plenty of cable channels for late night TV viewing.

What wasn't modern? The bathroom sink was outside of the toilet and shower, which is nice, but the toilet/shower area was a bit small. It was an older toilet, rather small, and a bit aged. Not terrible, but less than desirable. Our room had the infamous hotel shower drain -- it didn't really want to drain while we showered, always a pet peeve of mine. They leave a slip of paper that you can fill out so that housekeeping and maintenance will know of the problem before the next guest arrives. I filled out the slip, but I wish somebody had done it for us Since ours was a one-night stay there wasn't much we could do.

Somebody noted previously that it smells of smoke when you walk in the lobby to the check-in desk. I forgot this, until I walked in. I don't have a good sense of smell, and even I could smell it, whatever it is. It's not overwhelming, but it does kinda smell like cigarette smoke. A manager responded to the previous report that the facility has long been non-smoking, so it makes me wonder what it is in the air. I barely noticed it after I approached the check-in desk. It made me chuckle more than anything.

Being near the airport is no real benefit unless you are going to the airport, but we got the room for a better deal than downtown hotels, and it's a short drive to downtown, so it was worth the savings. The room rate is no bargain, but it was better than options we were finding online as first timers to Des Moines.

I'd consider staying there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is located across the street from the Des Moines airport. It is incredibly convenient to the airport. The hotel is laid out like many Embassy suites with a central courtyard/pool area covered with a huge skylight. Rooms either face this courtyard area (some guest noise and easy pool access) or are outside rooms (face airport). The outside rooms are very quite. Yes there are the occasional plane noises but this is the Des Moines airport. There are few if any flights between 10 pm and 6 am. You do notice plane noise starting about 6 am so if you need late morning sleep, ask for a room in the back of the hotel. Hotel staff are uniformly friendly and helpful. There is a restaurant near the pool that has a good variety on the menu and some carryout food items. The conference center has strong wifi and adequate facilities for a meeting. It is not the newest most recently remodeled hotel but it is clean and the rooms are comfortable. Most rooms have a mini-refrigerator and microwave oven as well as a good sized flat screen TV. There are a few restaurants within walking distance (1 mile) but not much immediately adjacent. There is a full grocery store a mile down the street. There is a free shuttle to the airport - it is a bit too far to walk if you have much luggage. Overall a good clean hotel with a staff who seem to care.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel have less plane noise. Interior rooms face pool/courtyard and thus ha...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Fleur6111, Owner at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
WOW! I reread your review and suffice it to say I could not have written a better one myself. Your comments are deeply appreciated. We do host a tremendous number of conventions and meetings and just this week announced a huge new project. Construction will begin shortly on a new 12,000 sq.ft. Exhibition Hall - we are really excited and hope to see you soon.

Been to Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center? Share your experiences!