“Blast from the Past” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Des Moines
San Leandro, California
“Blast from the Past”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The hotel served my purpose for being there; a place to lay my head at the end of the long flight. I chose it because of the atrium/pool area and the restaurant/lounge it offered. It's a very old hotel and in desperate need of a face lift, so if your looking for modern amenities book somewhere else. My stay wasn't unpleasant, it was just a surprise. The place reminded me of the vacations my family would take when I was a kid, circa the 70's and 80's. I can't remember the last time I swam in a tiled pool and played and been in an arcade with games that cost a quarter. If your looking to reminisce about times long gone this is your place. Some parts were being remodeled, which woulda been good to know before arriving. Lots of workers hanging around with tool belts and jangling keys while I was trying to relax at the pool. They might want to change the water in the hot tub too. It smelled kinda funky. I liked the deep pool and my room with the pool view which I didn't find too noisy cause the rug rats are back in school. The place just needs a interior decorator....bad.

Room Tip: If you don't want airport noise, stay in an inside room. If you don't want kids and family n...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear sunkat70,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with the condition of our facilities. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I visited during the final weekend of the Iowa State Fair. It's an old school HI, which brought back memories of days when HI was the premier hotel chain. Why was that? The pool area is old school, for sure. It has a high ceiling, sorta dome-like, and it has the old-style pool: 9 feet deep on one end. Hotels never put in a pool that is more than 5 feet deep these days. I'll bet there was a small diving board once upon a time, although there wasn't an obvious indication of its absence. Another thing that amused me, the water feature above the pool.

So the pool area makes you think of an old-school HI, our room was clean and mostly modern. Our room had a nice view of the parking spaces on the side of the building, but we didn't care. The bed had soft and firm pillows and we had a nice flat panel TV with plenty of cable channels for late night TV viewing.

What wasn't modern? The bathroom sink was outside of the toilet and shower, which is nice, but the toilet/shower area was a bit small. It was an older toilet, rather small, and a bit aged. Not terrible, but less than desirable. Our room had the infamous hotel shower drain -- it didn't really want to drain while we showered, always a pet peeve of mine. They leave a slip of paper that you can fill out so that housekeeping and maintenance will know of the problem before the next guest arrives. I filled out the slip, but I wish somebody had done it for us Since ours was a one-night stay there wasn't much we could do.

Somebody noted previously that it smells of smoke when you walk in the lobby to the check-in desk. I forgot this, until I walked in. I don't have a good sense of smell, and even I could smell it, whatever it is. It's not overwhelming, but it does kinda smell like cigarette smoke. A manager responded to the previous report that the facility has long been non-smoking, so it makes me wonder what it is in the air. I barely noticed it after I approached the check-in desk. It made me chuckle more than anything.

Being near the airport is no real benefit unless you are going to the airport, but we got the room for a better deal than downtown hotels, and it's a short drive to downtown, so it was worth the savings. The room rate is no bargain, but it was better than options we were finding online as first timers to Des Moines.

I'd consider staying there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is located across the street from the Des Moines airport. It is incredibly convenient to the airport. The hotel is laid out like many Embassy suites with a central courtyard/pool area covered with a huge skylight. Rooms either face this courtyard area (some guest noise and easy pool access) or are outside rooms (face airport). The outside rooms are very quite. Yes there are the occasional plane noises but this is the Des Moines airport. There are few if any flights between 10 pm and 6 am. You do notice plane noise starting about 6 am so if you need late morning sleep, ask for a room in the back of the hotel. Hotel staff are uniformly friendly and helpful. There is a restaurant near the pool that has a good variety on the menu and some carryout food items. The conference center has strong wifi and adequate facilities for a meeting. It is not the newest most recently remodeled hotel but it is clean and the rooms are comfortable. Most rooms have a mini-refrigerator and microwave oven as well as a good sized flat screen TV. There are a few restaurants within walking distance (1 mile) but not much immediately adjacent. There is a full grocery store a mile down the street. There is a free shuttle to the airport - it is a bit too far to walk if you have much luggage. Overall a good clean hotel with a staff who seem to care.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel have less plane noise. Interior rooms face pool/courtyard and thus ha...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Fleur6111, Owner at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
WOW! I reread your review and suffice it to say I could not have written a better one myself. Your comments are deeply appreciated. We do host a tremendous number of conventions and meetings and just this week announced a huge new project. Construction will begin shortly on a new 12,000 sq.ft. Exhibition Hall - we are really excited and hope to see you soon.
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The pool was so good, I don't think I'll get away with booking anywhere else when we're in the area again. It was a decently large indoor pool with a deep section that goes all the way to 9 feet deep and a basketball hoop with balls floating in the pool and a small waterfall in the shallow section. Kids were in heaven. We also ate omelets at the grill and those were good. The room itself was ok. It was clean but older. The fridge was loud so I unplugged it. Beds were comfortable. Bathroom was very clean. The room didn't wow me but it also didn't have any issues.

Room Tip: We will probably get a pool area room next time since the pool is why we'll be back.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fleur6111, Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
We are very glad to hear your family enjoyed our large swimming pool. One great feature is our tropical courtyard is a year around oasis, even in the dead of an Iowa winter! We will follow up on the fridge as well. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you soon.!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This Holiday Inn like an aged starlet has an updated exterior but is old, dated, and worn on the interior. The room layout is confusing this hotel is built on the dated atrium/natatorium design leaving those poor souls with rooms encircling the pool to enjoy all the activities going on whether they choose to or not. The desk staff is not very helpful or accommodating and didn't even direct me to my room. The hotel is quite dated, the carpet soiled, and the rooms poorly accommodated for work with no electrical outlets closet to the bed for surfing. The furnishings are somewhat modern, but the room layout is vintage 1960's. Internet connection is adequate and free. There is in-hotel dining...but I wish I hadn't and there is no dining within walking distance. The only positive thing about this hotel is its proximity to the airport and a readily available shuttle to take you there, and certainly it is not a good value for what you receive. I would recommend other accommodations in the Des Moines airport area for those having to be close for an early flight.

Room Tip: Find better accommodations for the price and location.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear FedVetAPHIS,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable accommodations. I would like to apologize for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and apologize our hotel did not live up to your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and these will be taken into consideration in our efforts to improve the quality and services we offer.

Once again, I appreciate your feedback and hope that you will give us the pleasure of hosting you again on your next visit.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here before we flew to Puerto Rico. Check in was a breeze. A bit far from rooms to lobby. Nice little cafe/store near pool area. The pool area has some seating and a gated whirlpool. Shuttle took us to airport and when we returned they also drove us to our Park 'n' Fly vehicle. Will stay again.

• Stayed June 2012
Williamsburg, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel several times for business purposes. I always find it clean and well managed. The attached Bennigans restaurant is very good. The hotel also has a small cafe/store that is great for grabbing a quick bite. I am always treated very well and enjoy my time spent there.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center? Share your experiences!