I visited during the final weekend of the Iowa State Fair. It's an old school HI, which brought back memories of days when HI was the premier hotel chain. Why was that? The pool area is old school, for sure. It has a high ceiling, sorta dome-like, and it has the old-style pool: 9 feet deep on one end. Hotels never put in a pool that is more than 5 feet deep these days. I'll bet there was a small diving board once upon a time, although there wasn't an obvious indication of its absence. Another thing that amused me, the water feature above the pool.
So the pool area makes you think of an old-school HI, our room was clean and mostly modern. Our room had a nice view of the parking spaces on the side of the building, but we didn't care. The bed had soft and firm pillows and we had a nice flat panel TV with plenty of cable channels for late night TV viewing.
What wasn't modern? The bathroom sink was outside of the toilet and shower, which is nice, but the toilet/shower area was a bit small. It was an older toilet, rather small, and a bit aged. Not terrible, but less than desirable. Our room had the infamous hotel shower drain -- it didn't really want to drain while we showered, always a pet peeve of mine. They leave a slip of paper that you can fill out so that housekeeping and maintenance will know of the problem before the next guest arrives. I filled out the slip, but I wish somebody had done it for us Since ours was a one-night stay there wasn't much we could do.
Somebody noted previously that it smells of smoke when you walk in the lobby to the check-in desk. I forgot this, until I walked in. I don't have a good sense of smell, and even I could smell it, whatever it is. It's not overwhelming, but it does kinda smell like cigarette smoke. A manager responded to the previous report that the facility has long been non-smoking, so it makes me wonder what it is in the air. I barely noticed it after I approached the check-in desk. It made me chuckle more than anything.
Being near the airport is no real benefit unless you are going to the airport, but we got the room for a better deal than downtown hotels, and it's a short drive to downtown, so it was worth the savings. The room rate is no bargain, but it was better than options we were finding online as first timers to Des Moines.
I'd consider staying there again.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn - Airport Hotel
- Holiday Inn - Airport Hotel Des Moines
- Holiday Inn Des Moines
- Des Moines Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center Des Moines, Iowa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Des Moines Airport Holiday Inn & Conference Center, Iowa places you minutes from area attractions including Des Moines International Airport with 24 hour free shuttle, Blank Park Zoo, Science Center of Iowa/IMAX theatre, Iowa State Fairground Varied Industries, Wells Fargo Arena, Hy-Vee Hall, Knoxville Raceway, Cownie Soccer Complex, Adventureland, Gray s Lake, and Prairie Meadows Casino. Our hotel is also convenient to businesses such as Wells Fargo, Allied Insurance, as well as area colleges such as Drake University, Des Moines University, Grandview College, DMACC, and Simpson College. If shopping is what you are looking for be sure to visit Jordan Creek Town Center & Mall, Valley West Mall, Southridge Mall, and historic Valley Junction Our hotel has over 200 beautifully decorated guestrooms, each with free wireless Internet, many with high-speed hard wired Internet as well. Many guestrooms come with microwave/refrigerator units, and our hotel has more than 20,000 square feet of meeting and banquet space with ample free parking for groups of 10-500. For your enjoyment we have an indoor pool, whirlpool, video game room, and ping pong in our tropical courtyard. Stop by our Grill restaurant, offering breakfast anytime, hot & cold sandwiches, along with steaks and seafood dinner entrees. Unwind in our bar and catch your favorite sporting event on our huge 68 big screen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Venere, Otel and Fareportal so you can book your Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.