“Not Sure Where I Stayed” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Des Moines
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Not Sure Where I Stayed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was surprised to see all of the positive reviews. I typically do not review the hotels I stay in for business but I did in this case because it was so bad.....

I stayed at the Holiday in Conference center as my usual first four choices were book up with Farm Ex......It was a quicj in Quick out one night stay. I picked Holiday inn from my few options as i perceived it to have the highest and most consistent standards to the alternatives.

So, I found the hallways to be musty, an stale smelling.....Not cigarette smoke but really old Gym sock smelly.

Room was a huge concern.......Again musty and not particularly clean. The bathroom was disgusting with actual mold present in the grout of the bathtub.

Sorry Holiday Inn.....you did not get this stay right at all. I will avoid this property at all costs in the future

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear scooter34,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center, Des Moines, IA.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Davenport, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is a well cared for 40 year old facility. The rooms are nicely appointed, the beds (and pillows) are first rate. The bathrooms have been updated and are both clean and comfortable. Our room featured both a microwave and a mini-fridge. Typically I believe these make the room look junky. These were tastefully done and somewhat matched the decor of the room.

The hotel is built around a large covered pool area. My guess is at one time this was outdoors but was enclosed in the early 80's (which was a bit of a trend back then).

This place is great for conventions and kids. It seems as though the conventions fill the week and families fill the weekend.

Service at the front desk and housekeeping area was not notch. Friendly, helpful and unobtrusive. I cannot comment on the restaurant and bar as I did not give them a try. And, in my opinion, Des Moines has too many great restaurants for a person to eat at their hotel.

Room Tip: The pool side rooms could be noisy if that kind of thing bothers you...
Loveland, CO and Mt. Vernon, IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Room size, cleanliness, service, accessibility, and layout....all had the makings of a great destination. The central atrium was multi-purpose to include a swimming pool, fountain, dining area, gathering area, and access to hotel services. The restaurant served tasty, excellent and affordable breakfasts. The hotel's location in the DM metro area gave us quick access to downtown, the airport,the zoo, and Summerset Vinyards in Indianola. The rooms were quiet and properly furnished to include a mini-fridge and microwave, big flat screen TV and easy access to ice makers. The beds were comfortable, and pillow choices were both soft and hard. Front desk personnel, and restaurant and service staff all were friendly. Free internet access is a plus...especially in the lobby and offices (since I left my computer at home) OK, there was one minor drawback: the hotel provided shampoo, but not conditioner, as part of room amenities. We had to ask for, and were given, conditioner. Minor detail...but watch for it.

Room Tip: some rooms open to the atrium, others to the building exterior. the south side was the most quiet du...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Our room was nice sized. We enjoyed the internet in our room. The only bad thing was that they didn't have hair conditioner. You would think that a 3 star hotel would have had that. The hair dryer was new and worked well. The plus of a small refrig and microwave is also a plus.

Sibley, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We were there July 31-August 2 2012 for Iowa Gas. The rooms are nice and quiet. It was very convenient for us being vendors to be able to stay there for the show. Its a very busy place during this week, but all was good.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Really enjoy this location for the Muay Thai tournament. Staff was very friendly, rooms were clean, bed was comfy. Great weekend. Love having fridge and microwave within the room, as well. Love the convenience to park for a run.

• Stayed July 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We booked online and I was feeling a little dismayed when we arrived -- the grass around the hotel was messy, there was dog poop all over it, and the outside just looked forgotten and run-down. Our room was in the basement and that also made me nervous. When we walked in, the room was quite large but equally run down looking. It was surprisingly clean and comfortable, however, though I never did take my shoes off until I was in bed. The bathroom was a pretty tight squeeze -- you couldn't get out of the shower if the door was open but the fan didn't work so you needed the door open to vent the steam! It wasn't a bad spot to stay as we were passing through town but I think that I would find a different place if I'm in Des Moines again in the future. The location can't be beat if you have a late night or early morning flight, though, as the airport is almost literally across the street.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn - Airport Conference Center? Share your experiences!