“Pretty lobby, ok rooms and location” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in Des Moines
Irving, Texas
“Pretty lobby, ok rooms and location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

The lobby was newly remodeled so you walk in expected an updated and modern room, not the case. The rooms aren't dirty or anything, they are just outdated. The hotel also faces a highway so if you are unfortunate enough to stay on the highway side be prepared to be kept up at night. Overall there's nothing horrible to report, it's just an average hotel that has the potential to be so much more.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Dear baca512,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. It is our pleasure to accommodate our guests needs the best way we can and we are so pleased you appreciate our lobby. We apologize for the disappointment the room accommodation and our location had caused you. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations.

Thank you again for your feedback and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We only spent one night here, and I'm glad. The room was average, had old decor and chipped bathroom fixtures, and was not what I would consider a room worth over $100 a night. The only thing going for it was the location, and the little bag of snacks we got at check-in. I had requested a wheelchair accessible room on booking, but there were none available. Upon check-in there were also no refrigerators available. The room had enough space to get the wheelchair over to the beds and desk, but there was no way to get grandma into the bathroom. We opened the window when we arrived to get some fresh air, and then it wouldn't close. Maintenance responded promptly and fixed it, but there was so much noise from the highway outside, it seemed like the window was still open. My son, who has stayed here before, says the rooms on higher floors have been redone and are nicer, too bad we didn't get one. As a member of Holiday Inn's rewards club I get a free buffet breakfast each morning, or $4 off a menu item, but that is only good for myself, so we would have to pay the outrageous price for the mediocre breakfast buffet for the rest of the family. We chose to feed the kids at the McDonald's up the block instead. My mother and I ordered off the menu and the food was fine, but $4.50 for a bowl of oatmeal is a bit ridiculous. They were nice enough to let us check out an hour later than the usual. We may come back here since this is the closest hotel, and it provides the minimum bed and bathroom, but I sure hope we get an updated room next time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear MN_NightRN,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am pleased to know that our location suited your needs. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. Please accept our sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and show you just how much we care about delivering an above average experience.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This IHG should be higher in city rank on Trip Advisor.
Nice stay. The staff makes the difference here. They are under going renovations and so far it looks like it will be very nice when complete.
They are also doing a excellent job of keeping everything clean and tidy during the transformation.
Convenient location right off highway in downtown.
Walking distance to Mercy hospital.
On site restaurant and bar.
The staff is overtly nice and it's not fake. Every staff member that I saw said hello, rare occurrence ,but something I personally look for.
Notable staff for outstanding service is Tamara ,Regina ,Tommy, and JJ.
Next time in town will stay again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Travel46804,
Thank you so much for taking the time to offer such a kind and candid review of your stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you were pleased with the cleanliness of our property. We take great pride in our hotel, the services we provide, and the accommodations we offer. I have passed your comments along to all of our staff which of course includes Tamara ,Regina ,Tommy, and JJ. We hope to see you again in the future.
Williamsburg, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We recently stayed for one night in a king sofa room. The room was average in its décor but nice and large. The bed and bedding were very comfortable, especially the pillows. The walls were a bit thin, kind of noisy in the morning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear IowaGirl-in-Germany,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us while you were in Des Moines. I am very happy to hear that you were pleased with the size of the room, the bed, and the pillows. I appreciate the high marks you gave us in regards to service and sleep quality. We truly enjoyed having you as a guest and hope that we have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel while attending a seminar at the Mercy hospital. The shuttle promptly picked us up from the airport and the staff members were very efficient. The front desk staff especially Tramaine (sp) were very helpful. We had a very early flight (6am) and the hotel shuttle took us to the airport at 4am per our request. That is what I call going above and beyond!!! Did I mention that their onsite restaurant has some very yummy steak?? It was a pleasure..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Purity N,
I am happy to hear you chose the Holiday Inn Downtown Mercy Campus for your recent stay in Des Moines, and I thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am very pleased to hear you found the front desk and especially Tramaine to be accommodating. I am also glad to hear you enjoyed the food in our restaurant. I have passed along your comments to all of our staff. We truly enjoyed having you as a guest and hope to have the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future. Thank you again for your review.
North Mankato, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Got to the hotel before the 3 pm check in and had to wait a few minutes as they were still cleaning from night before. The wait was alright as I checked in for my meetings that were taking place at the hotel and by the time I had checked in their they had our room ready. Room was on the 9th floor away from the interstate and was quiet, if I opened the window I did hear some traffic noise but never with the window closed and ready for bed. The bed was comfortable and they had a amazing choice of pillows, internet connection was great. Had supper in the restaurant in the lobby and it was great, Breakfast both days was a buffet breakfast and I got my fill both time food was hot and fresh. The staff were very helpful in meeting the needs for our meetings and banquet staff were outstanding. If I am in the area I will stay again

Room Tip: North side is quieter but not the best view, Hotel is doing some remodel work and upkeep They do ne...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear suemel604,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I am so happy to hear that you were pleased with the staff and service. I am also happy to hear you enjoyed the pillow options and were able to rest. I have passed along your review to all of our staff. We appreciate your business and hope that we have the opportunity to accommodate you again the future. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Downtown Mercy Campus.
Appleton, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Toilet would not flush properly had to have maintenance come two times still would not work. Couldn't get a different room hotel was full. Had a first floor room with view of a wall. Rooms are small ,walls paper thin crying baby all night sounded like it was in our room. Do not venture one block north as you may get murdered. Underground parking corridor smelled of mold. Overall bad stay and bad location. Did online survey and was emailed that I would be contacted and never was.

• Stayed September 2013
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Hockeydad123,
I am sorry to hear you were displeased with your recent stay with us. We do take great pride in our hotel and the services we provide and strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. I apologize that we fell below your expectations and were unable to change your room as we were full. Our Guest Services Manager is trying to locate your survey, so we may find your contact information and get in touch with you. I have passed along your comments to management and appreciate your input. I do hope we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

Been to Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown? Share your experiences!