“Nice but currently going through renovations” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 46 hotels in Des Moines
Ames, Iowa
“Nice but currently going through renovations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I recently stayed here for a single night due to a 2-day seminar I was attending. Service was decent, rooms are okay but need renovating. This hotel is right along HWY 235 going through the main downtown area of Des Moines. It is also located on the Mercy Hospital campus so it you need a close hotel for doctor's appoints, this is actually within walking distance of some of the medical buildings. Also close to the Wells Fargo arena & Hy-vee Hall; both are used for large tradeshows, conferences, concerts, etc.

There is a bit of hwy traffic noise and the walls are rather thin so be prepared with earplugs or headphones if noise is a bother. Main floor has a restaurant & bar that has lunch & dinner options. Conference rooms have been remodeled on the main floor but the rooms upstairs on the "tower" floor have not been re-done yet.

All in all, an okay hotel to stay in . . . will be better in the future after remodeling has been completed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear JanetCat73,

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the noise during your stay and the renovation. We will look into this point. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

142 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The Holiday Inn Des Moines is in the middle of a renovation, and it is needed. While the hotel is … adequate, in this era of hotel excellence, adequate doesn’t really cut it. Although located downtown, the hotel is right next to an interstate, and there is a good amount of highway noise. The service is fine, the rooms are clean, and there is free working wifi. But would I stay here again? No, there are newer, nicer, better-located options in downtown Des Moines. The weirdest thing about this hotel? The elevator – with separate“1,” “L,” and “G” buttons, I kept going to the wrong floor.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Alice M,
I want to thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown while you were in Des Moines. I appreciate the high marks in regards to service and value. However, I am upset to hear you found your experience to just be "adequate". I hope you give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future. In regards to the elevator, "L" is for Lobby Level, "G" is for Garage and "1" is for the first floor of guest rooms. I am sorry that was confusing. I appreciate your taking the time to offer your thoughts about your stay. Again, I hope we have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future.
Milton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I couldn't rate it perfect because the hotel had no vending machines for snacks, nor did they have a small store. Clerk informed me it was due to the remodel. I was there because my husband had surgery across the street. Because it was fair week, it was difficult to find a room. I found this room but had to book on line. Unfortunately the online booking debited my card for all the nights I stayed and I did not get the hospital patient discount. When I asked, the clerk just shrugged.
The goody bag for being a frequent stayer was very nice. The pool was too crowded but it looked nice. The room was excellent and up to date. Beds and pillows were great. Air conditioner was accurate. TV good.
The bar is great here, bar tender pours a good drink. The breakfasts were very good as well. Parking is a bit scary in the underground garage. The spaces are small and the concrete bars intimidating. Also, there is a long scary hallway to reach the elevators. No recommended for someone who has trouble walking or who is alone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Patricia S,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel during your recent stay with us. I can confidently say on behalf of all the staff that we enjoyed having you as a guest. I was especially happy to see the high marks you gave us in regards to the rooms, cleanliness, and sleep quality. I have passed along your comments to all of our staff so we can improve for the future. I hope we have the opportunity to show you a completed renovation the next time you come to town. Thank you again for your review.
Burlington, IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in July and had I known it was right on the interstate, I would have asked for a room on opposite side, it was quite noisy! Beds were great. There was a youth baseball team (s) staying there which made for a very busy hotel.

Room Tip: Please ask for a room on opposite side from interstate...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear 7asprinter,
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Downtown for your stay in Des Moines. We appreciate your business as well as taking the time to offer your review of your stay. I appreciate the high marks you gave us in regards to rooms, cleanliness, and service. Your comments have been shared with all staff members so we can improve for the future and hopefully your next visit.
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was here for Juco Wrestling Nationals Championships Hotel is going thru Major remodeling and it’s a dated hotel and décor needs major updating… over all my stay was pleasant by for all the construction they are going thru they should consider discounting their rates to reflect what star rating there hotel current state is in…

PRO:

Hotel room was basic came with your basic essentials, room was clean and presentable. Customer service was so, so here, but I guess being a small town and limited accommodations has some effect on that. My room came with Microwave, coffeemaker and popcorn, which I thought was great to have as a late night snack.

CONS:

Only thing I suggest is have the front desk personnel would’ve taken better control of all the Noisy running playing on the elevator little kids better… I was there during their AAU State wrestling championship and hotel had kids running all over the place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear planedrs,
I want to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am glad you found your room to be comfortable, and I appreciate your input. We take all reviews, good and bad, seriously, and each review is given to all staff members so we can improve for future guests, which I hope includes your next stay. Thank you again for your review.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Average isn't a negative, it's a moderate price brand and you have to expect it to be busy, especially during fair week. But overall, with the pageant ,and weddings that were there, I still had a quite stay on the 8 th floor, and was unbothered. When busy, the elevator is a challenge as is parking, but still location and price trump that.
The pictures here need updating, maybe the hotel can do that...but it seems nothing like it is in these pictures, or at least some of them. My room was clean, and breakfast buffet had fresh moist eggs, and all the trappings, fruit and bacon, and biscuits were all good. It was worth what I paid for it, and nothing was exceptional in that price range, it's what I expected. But nothing made it worse. It won't kill you to stay here, staff was very accommodating and friendly at all levels.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear CliveWatkins,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Downtown while you were in Des Moines. I am glad to hear that you were able to have a quiet, relaxing stay in spite of how busy the hotel and the city were during the Iowa State Fair. I am especially happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating. We appreciate all reviews, good and bad, as they help us to improve for the future. I hope we have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We checked in very late and stayed only one night. Nice lobby and quick check in. The room and bathroom were very nice and clean. Bed and pillows were comfy. Internet was fast. The rate was pretty similar to hotels with the same grade. It is located right off highway, so very convenient. We would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear jdtravelist,
Thank you for your kind review regarding your stay. We really appreciate the high marks you gave us in regards to location, sleep quality, guest rooms, and cleanliness. I'm also happy to hear you enjoyed the renovated public spaces. We hope to have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future so we can say thank you in person. Thank you again for your review.

Been to Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown? Share your experiences!