“Not worth the full price” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 46 hotels in Des Moines
Phila., PA
“Not worth the full price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We have been traveling across country and have stayed in a few hotels on the way. We were disappointed in the room and amenities that came with this hotel.

The room, although clean, was not very large. The counter in the bathroom was so small that we could not fit our toiletries on there. The only counter was around the sink, that continued behind the toilet- but that part of the shelf was maybe 6 inches deep. The tub is directly next to the toilet and when the shower curtain is shut you are banging into it. There is no vent in the bathroom to let out the steam from the shower, and the hairdryer isn't very strong- so bring your own.

The closet area is right as soon as you walk in the door and you bang into it as you enter the room. It is not enclosed.

The restaurant was OK for breakfast, and wasn't too expensive when we bought dinner there, but again, this was a $200+ per night hotel and it was par with hotels where we only paid $100 and it wasn't as nice.

A very big disappointment was the laundry area- there is only 1 washer and 1 dryer and is only open from 8am-10pm. When I was there, there were many people waiting to wash clothes and they had to place their clothes in a line on the floor to keep their place. Laundry facilities for a hotel that size should be much larger, even if they were coin operated.

Pool area was nice and the kids loved it. Also nice was the fact that there was a shuttle service that will take you places downtown and and surrounding vicinity. The staff were nice, and the shuttle drivers were very good about giving recommendations.

To make longer stays more appealing- I would recommend they add a mini-fridge to the room..out other hotels offered this standard and it was a great help.

Room Tip: Ask to NOT be put in a room on the 10th floor near the laundry area- even though it says closes at 1...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

141 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
omaha, ne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed here for a night while attending a brewfest in downtown Des Moines. We got to check in early and got a high floor room with a view. The shuttle took us to the event at 3 and picked us up at 6. We had dinner in the bar at the hotel. Overall, we thought it was a very good Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking downtown Des Moines are nice.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in Des Moines and at our hotel. Thank you for your business, and we hope to see you again in the future!

Gretchen Conley
Marketing Director
Sioux City, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We had inadvertently booked this hotel through Hotels.com on our way to Des Moines after our prior arrangements were unavailable. I had difficulty hearing what the woman on the other end was saying due to travel noise as well as background noise from where she was talking. On arrival, our room was not the King bed room we had reserved. We were on the phone on hold& being transferred to cancellations @ Hotels.com when our check-in clerk said she had cancelled the reservation through Hotels.com & we would be able to get our room through the hotel @ "the walk-in rate". She seemed quite helpful, but in reality, after 1 1/2 hours of phone work to Hotels.com, our credit card company, & the Holiday Inn; our credit card was charged the more expensive Hotels.com rate. Several people in this process that I dealt with we're very polite & patient on the phone; but I learned you need to keep track of all names. Two days of phone calls after a trip to sort out the details is not my idea of relaxing! Lori, the Manager on duty on the second day was very helpful & able to answer my questions. Vanessa in the dining room was a very good server & seems to love her job. Overall, it is a very old hotel, with only minor updating, but clean. We would not choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: There was a pool, but no spa; there was a restaurant, but no continental breakfast. The "gym&qu...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Kathy N,

Thank you for taking time to write us a review. I am glad you found our room accommodations satisfactory. Please accept my sincerest apology for the disorganization that happened with your reservation. I understand the discomfort that this caused you and I am pleased Lori was able to address this. Thank you for bringing this into our attention as this our best resource of improving guest services.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We came here for a night as we were visiting Des Moines as tourists. I booked this hotel based on the price and the average reviews. It is only slightly removed from the downtown area, but since we had a car rental, we assumed it would be fine.
From the moment we arrived, we were very pleased. The staff made our stay enjoyable, as they were all exceedingly friendly and helpful. From the moment we arrived, the staff answered all our questions and was willing to take the time to make sure we were taken care of.
Andre, the shuttle driver, was very nice and friendly. And he knew the best areas to drop us off and pick us up. We expected to do a lot of driving to different sites, as well as to the Cubs game and to see Billy Elliot the Musical. However the staff kept telling us "don't drive, we'll take you in the shuttle" It was a great service and we really appreciated it. Even after we checked out, they allowed us to use their shuttle.
The room was clean and comfortable. Everything was fine. Half the rooms have a nice view of downtown Des Moines as well.
We didn't try any food at the hotel, so I can't really provide any feedback on that.
The pool area was nice and clean, and well kept.
I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Des Moines area.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the city, it's a much better view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Spent 7/5 and 7/6/2012 here and thought it was average in most ways. HOWEVER, the staff was nice and gave me the Priority Club "goody bag" without me having to ask if we had one. We were there for the Natl. Oldsmobile Car Show at the Events Center and the hotel provided free shuttle service to and from at no cost! Shuttle driver very friendly & informed us they provided free to and from shuttle service to nearby restaurants!

The outer appearance of the hotel is in need of updating; I had my qualms about how the room would look judging the outside. This is a NON SMOKING (yessss!!) hotel and when we arrived in the 103 degree heat at 8pm there were lots of people sitting outside smoking. YUK.

Check-in was quick and our room was VERY CLEAN with a new mattress. Room quite spacious, but the bathroom was TINY, TINY, TINY. Wish we had had a microwave and fridge but this particular king room did not. Our bed linens were nice as were the bath linens.

We ate dinner/supper around 8:30 at the hotel restaurant. While the waitstaff was HORRIBLE our angus burger was actually quite tasty. One waitress passed us and said, "Be back in just a minute." Well, 10 minutes later and no waitress. Finally the hostess came and took our order and since she didn't write it down she messed up my husband's order but we were so thankful to have a burger after 45 minutes we didn't say anything. I ordered a Coke and the 1st one tasted like a diet Coke. I sent it back and the 2nd one was also "flat" tasting. My husband said there is no fizz in this drink! Their machine needs to be checked! I sent it back and told them to take it off the bill and drank water. When she finally brought the bill she had not removed it. I pointed this out and she reprinted the bill with correct amount. We had a coupon for ONE PERSON next morning for a free breakfast. I ate a horrible bagel and my husband tried the buffet. He said the eggs were actually quite good! We also had another coupon for this morning but since we left the hotel at 4:15am for the airport they weren't serving breakfast.

If we returned to the area to attend a function at the Wells Fargo Arena or Events Center we would not stay there, but not because anything the hotel did or did not to. Friday night our sleep was almost non-existent because the hotel is across from one of the hospitals! Sirens, sirens, sirens most of the night.

Room Tip: Rooms far, far away from the hospital side of the hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Stayed here because they have a hospital rate. Desk staff ok. Woke with a couple dozen bites on my legs. Asked for a manager, told her about the issue, and showed her a picture of the bites. She seemed ptty indifferent - claimed to have never seen a bedbug bite and said she would have housekeeping check the room after I checked out. No, "sorry for your luck" or offer to make good on the cost of fumigating my luggage. Staying elsewhere for the rest of my stay in Des Moines. Rest of the family canceled their reservations too. Good place to stay away from.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
holiday1050, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thank you for your review. Our hotel takes allegations of bed bugs very seriously. We pride ourselves in having a clean hotel and value our guests’ comfort and wellness. After Management received your claim upon check out, our staff immediately inspected the room, and found no bedbud acitivity. We then contacted the number one pest control company in the nation, EcoLab Pest Elimination, to investigate as well. We are pleased to report that the pest control company found NO indication or activity of bed bugs in your room. The full report has been mailed to you.
Kansas City MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Just off the Interstate in the middle of the city with free parking--a great way to start my stay there. I was there to present at a seminar for a couple of days. Greeted nicely at check-in and got the usual goodie bag as a Platinum member without having to ask for it. Lobby was comfortable and exceptionally clean.

Staff was first-class. My meeting room was clean, temperature regulated perfectly.

Sleeping room was quiet, comfortable, got the job done. A bit older, but is that really a big deal? I see so many reviews here grumbling about the age of hotels. While some of that is justified, hey, whaddya want? Should they be torn down and rebuilt after a year?

The bathrooms ARE small compared to others I've seen in many hotels.

Food prices for breakfast were "hotel average," but the buffet had top-class food including eggs benedict that were amazingly good. The soup and sandwich I had for lunch was quite good, as well.

I'm an experienced traveler, and I can say without hesitation I'd stay here again anytime if my travels take me through Des Moines.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor room for best view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown? Share your experiences!