We have been traveling across country and have stayed in a few hotels on the way. We were disappointed in the room and amenities that came with this hotel.
The room, although clean, was not very large. The counter in the bathroom was so small that we could not fit our toiletries on there. The only counter was around the sink, that continued behind the toilet- but that part of the shelf was maybe 6 inches deep. The tub is directly next to the toilet and when the shower curtain is shut you are banging into it. There is no vent in the bathroom to let out the steam from the shower, and the hairdryer isn't very strong- so bring your own.
The closet area is right as soon as you walk in the door and you bang into it as you enter the room. It is not enclosed.
The restaurant was OK for breakfast, and wasn't too expensive when we bought dinner there, but again, this was a $200+ per night hotel and it was par with hotels where we only paid $100 and it wasn't as nice.
A very big disappointment was the laundry area- there is only 1 washer and 1 dryer and is only open from 8am-10pm. When I was there, there were many people waiting to wash clothes and they had to place their clothes in a line on the floor to keep their place. Laundry facilities for a hotel that size should be much larger, even if they were coin operated.
Pool area was nice and the kids loved it. Also nice was the fact that there was a shuttle service that will take you places downtown and and surrounding vicinity. The staff were nice, and the shuttle drivers were very good about giving recommendations.
To make longer stays more appealing- I would recommend they add a mini-fridge to the room..out other hotels offered this standard and it was a great help.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Downtown, Des Moines, Iowa. Come see our new Priority Club Executive Level with the new Holiday Inn bedding. Our convenient downtown location provides the ideal setting for both business and leisure travel. With convenient access to Wells Fargo Arena, Hy-Vee Hall, Veterans Auditorium, Des Moines Civic Center, Iowa State Fairgrounds, and Mercy Hospital, you can not go wrong when you stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown. Located in the heart of Des Moines, we are minutes away from an assortment of entertainment options. Indulge and have a ball at Prairie Meadows Race Track and Casino, Adventureland Park, Blank Park Zoo or the Science Center. Also, exceptional dining and nightlife are just blocks away at the Court Avenue Entertainment District and the trendy Historic East Village. Downtown Des Moines is alive with special events every weekend, and our area shuttle makes navigating downtown a breeze!Relax, it's Holiday Inn. We offer free parking and free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, an indoor pool, and a complimentary downtown/airport shuttle. If you love classic American cuisine set in a casual but elegant dining atmosphere, then Genevieve's is the place to go. Whether your visit brings you to Des Moines for business or pleasure, allow the Holiday Inn Downtown to be your hotel of choice! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, BookIt.com, Tingo, Hotels.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown Hotel Des Moines
- Des Moines Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown Iowa