A very reasonable value for the dollar. But this is an older hotel, and it is showing signs of it. It is a half-step below what I would expect from a "good" business-class hotel, hence the rating (it easily could have gotten four stars). First, the minuses. There are no restaurants (other than a McDonald's) within walking distance. The bathroom was tiny, and the fixtures older. The walls seemed thin, and I heard quite a bit of noise from other rooms and the hallway. The carpet was a bit worn. No hot tub. The hotel had a bit of a "decrepit" feel to it (no fault of the staff....we all get older...*I* have a bit of a decrepit feel at times).
The pluses? The staff was *excellent*. Very helpful and friendly. The bed was very comfortable. I was upgraded to a larger room without having to ask. Free breakfast buffet. Very decent restaurant. The pool was *excellent*. The location was very convenient...not quite walking distance to downtown, but close. Plenty of convenient, free parking. Shuttle service was provided.
Overall, this is a very good value for the money. It may not be quite up to your average "Embassy Suites", but then it was $50 less per night than the Embassy Suites. I would certainly stay here again. The service was great so I can deal with a bit of an older hotel with great staff and a good rate.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown Hotel Des Moines
- Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown Hotel
- Holiday Inn Des Moines
- Des Moines Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown Iowa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Downtown, Des Moines, Iowa. Come see our new Priority Club Executive Level with the new Holiday Inn bedding. Our convenient downtown location provides the ideal setting for both business and leisure travel. With convenient access to Wells Fargo Arena, Hy-Vee Hall, Veterans Auditorium, Des Moines Civic Center, Iowa State Fairgrounds, and Mercy Hospital, you can not go wrong when you stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown. Located in the heart of Des Moines, we are minutes away from an assortment of entertainment options. Indulge and have a ball at Prairie Meadows Race Track and Casino, Adventureland Park, Blank Park Zoo or the Science Center. Also, exceptional dining and nightlife are just blocks away at the Court Avenue Entertainment District and the trendy Historic East Village. Downtown Des Moines is alive with special events every weekend, and our area shuttle makes navigating downtown a breeze!Relax, it's Holiday Inn. We offer free parking and free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, an indoor pool, and a complimentary downtown/airport shuttle. If you love classic American cuisine set in a casual but elegant dining atmosphere, then Genevieve's is the place to go. Whether your visit brings you to Des Moines for business or pleasure, allow the Holiday Inn Downtown to be your hotel of choice! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Holiday Inn Des Moines Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.