“Needs renovation” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 46 Hotels in Des Moines
Gresham, Oregon
“Needs renovation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed here on business.

On the first night I was unable to get hot water. In checking with the desk I was told it could take 10 minutes! When it finally got hot the water pressure was awful! My room was very dirty with spots on the carpet. The walls were dirty. The sheets had a hole in them and the bedding was poor. I won't be staying here again.

The staff was nice but didn't make up for the facilities.

It has the potential to be a nice place with some updating.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
White Lake, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I've stayed at Hotel Fort Des Moines a few times now on business, and each time I'm impressed by the level of service, cleanliness of the rooms, the friendliness of the staff, and especially the centralized location. The dining options are very satisfactory. Especially the in-hotel breakfast, which has a great selection. On my last stay, I had to work the midnight-shift, and Hungry Howies delivered straight to my room at 2am. Not a plug for the hotel as much as for the fact that you can still get food in-room that late. The sky-walk is a great idea, and should be an installation in every big city in my opinion. It's easy access from HFD. All in all, I look forward to my stay here every time I visit Des Moines!

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Maryville, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was hesitant about staying at this hotel at first, however I enjoyed my stay here. It's a dated hotel, but it still has a lot of charm to it. It's a hotel that was built in 1919, so I figured some of it's rustic charm would linger. Not half the nightmare the reviews make it to be.

In terms of location, it's within walking distance to several bars and restaurants. For everything you cannot get to, the hotel does provided shuttling within a certain distance to/from the hotel. Used it one or twice to get to events across the river.

The lobby is gorgeous and offer complimentary internet access to guests (which greatly came in handy when I needed it around check in). Not much street parking around the hotel, however on the weekends, parking is free (starting at 6pm on Friday) in the garage behind them.

My room was great. Comfy bed, plentiful closet space, great bathroom and everything worked fine in the room. Part of the trim around the floor baseboard behind the television stand had come undone a bit and one of my towels was pretty frayed on one side, but otherwise, no issues. You can tell the rooms was a bit dated.... tube televisions, the design of the rooms, some of the furnishings, etc. But overall I found my room to be clean and comfortable.

The front desk staff provided a friendly and efficient check-in. Word to the wise- if you're paying with a debit card, they pre-charge the room and an estimated amount for incidentals. Plan to use a major credit card for the trip or inquire about the charges beforehand to be prepared. They have it clearly marked at the desk, so it shouldn't take you by surprise.

Gift shop was open late as well, which proved helpful for grabbing those late night snacks the bars and drinks for the ride home.

My stay at Hotel Fort Des Moines was refreshing and convenient. If I can score a good deal on the rooms like I did this time around, I can definitely see myself trying it out again.

Room Tip: I had a corner room that had a small window in the bathroom + plenty of space. I felt like I was in...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

enough is enough. Knew it was old, not so clean, terrible looking ceilings from water damage, old carpeting, tv is not even a flat screen, and slanted beds, terrible flat foam pillows, and bedding that appeared to be 1980s. So, my biggest GRIPE is PAPER thin walls. Tried to sleep at 10:30, and was awake for 3 hours from noises. Sounded like neighbors were within our bedroom. BAD hotel............... put some money into your hotel with a great location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Tagalong48
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

This very historical, old hotel is just that...old! I thought I would like the charm of it...eek. As mentioned in previous reviews, everything is OLD. And worse of all...the beds are horrible! !!! Very expensive for what you get, which is nothing. Staff were wonderful tho!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Old carpet, old bedding, tube televisions, toilets you'd find at your school in the 70's with the large arm flush. No hotel parking, street or neighboring garage, free on weekends. Free internet if it would work.

• Stayed August 2013
Ames, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The lobby was pretty good and it appeared like it would be a good hotel, except the lights in the elevator did not work the entire time we were there.
The room looked nice but basic on first impression but on closer inspection it was dirty and the handle on the cupboard in the bathroom wasn't there. It would have been nice to have a central light for the room because most of the lights were on one side which made the room a little dark.
The bathroom was very badly laid out with the light switch on the far wall instead of by the door and the rail for the towels hanging over the toilet when there was ample wall space next to the shower for them. There was also no room to hang the towels once they had been used since the rail was very small and held the hand towels as well. The shower was nice and strong and a good temperature.
Later in the night I tried to do some work on the free internet they supply, unfortunately it was spotty and every time my inbox actually opened and I could click on the email I wanted, it wouldn't load because the internet stopped working again - this happened both while using the ethernet cord and the wireless.
The bed was also very hard although the room (5th floor) was nice and quiet.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Fort des Moines? Share your experiences!