“Does the job - almost” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 46 Hotels in Des Moines
Ames, Iowa
“Does the job - almost”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The lobby was pretty good and it appeared like it would be a good hotel, except the lights in the elevator did not work the entire time we were there.
The room looked nice but basic on first impression but on closer inspection it was dirty and the handle on the cupboard in the bathroom wasn't there. It would have been nice to have a central light for the room because most of the lights were on one side which made the room a little dark.
The bathroom was very badly laid out with the light switch on the far wall instead of by the door and the rail for the towels hanging over the toilet when there was ample wall space next to the shower for them. There was also no room to hang the towels once they had been used since the rail was very small and held the hand towels as well. The shower was nice and strong and a good temperature.
Later in the night I tried to do some work on the free internet they supply, unfortunately it was spotty and every time my inbox actually opened and I could click on the email I wanted, it wouldn't load because the internet stopped working again - this happened both while using the ethernet cord and the wireless.
The bed was also very hard although the room (5th floor) was nice and quiet.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stopped here on a trip across country. I thought it would be nice to experience a historic hotel rather than the standard chains that line the interstate. Unfortunately, the hotel was dirty and out dated.

The front doors were heavily smudged with handprints. I stepped on a cockroach in the lobby while checking in. The room had a lot of mold in the bathroom, rust on the sink, wallpaper hanging off the wall and sagging, uncomfortable mattresses. I stayed one night then got up early the next morning and checked out. I couldn't even bring myself to use the shower.

When checking out the staff did not ask me how or if I enjoyed my stay. I can only guess they already knew what my answer would be.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Germantown, WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I visited relatives near Des Moines and stayed in this hotel. Our room was on the 6th floor. It looks NOTHING like the website -- it is old and need of desperate updating. Our room had very ugly furniture, outdated light fixtures, and felt dirty. We ordered coffee and danish through room service -- the coffee was cold and we were given four little creamers for a whole pot of coffee. To top everything off, there was no hot water to take a shower. Apparently the boilers were not working. The hotel bar that is advertised on the website was closed!!! Obviously, we were very disappointed and would not recommend this hotel. Don't believe what the website advertises...........

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Saint Cloud, MN, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Nice hotel, lots of history, poltergeists abound - my wife's shower cap was moved multiple times. Fun times.

We were on the fifth floor and could not get the free Wi-Fi to connect to our iPads. Hotel personnel tried to help, but nothing worked. My phone only registered a very weak signal when I tried to access the Wi-Fi.

Staff made the hotel. They allowed us a discount due to not gaining the WWW.

Situated right down town, close to everything. Would return when in Des Moines.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Hotel Fort des Moines was a very nice place to stay... while there I had an issue with orbitz and my bank..They took care of my issue ASAP.. the staff as well as my stay was amazing. Also The Food at D'Jangos , which adjacent to the hotel was awesome!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

As someone who stays at many hotels due to work..country inns, holiday inns, to super 8's sometimes also...Hotel Fort has got to be the worst have ever stayed at..My stay was to be 3 nights but I did not stay for 1 I left & went elsewhere...where to begin...The reception area was a total dream, so plush it gave me great expectations about the rooms..I could not believe once I got to the room..and trust I am so not a fussy person, as long as the room is clean all many people need. firstly the wallpaper was so so dirty it should have been re papered at least ten yrs ago. it was dirty & ripped the rips were filled with the same color paint as the paper..the carpets were filthy . the ceiling was cracked n crumbling down..the bed cover was covered in stains..i had to throw it straight on the floor. and the cream blanket underneath has hairs stuck to it..many hairs.. the wall skirtings above the floor were dirty all the way round they needed a good clean. the bedside table has coffee granules on from previous occupant. and every ornament was covered in dust. he room telephone was pure filthy. the coffee maker was dusty and the two black cups were chipped n dusty..the paint had partly feel off the bathroom door. Historical is not supposed to mean filthy..& the heating or air con was not working at all..apparently the building controls it but was neither..no refridgerator or microwave. an old black tv and no lighting just 2 dim lamps..maybe so people don't notice the dirt. I am guessing the pics for booking were taken twenty yrs ago now..as was totally not my experience, this building needs some kind of health n safety inspection.along with a major makeover in all the rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at this hotel with some friends because we wanted to be close to Court Ave which is a nice place to go out. The hotel is very nice and I love the history. Some people don't like that they haven't fully updated the hotel with all new fixtures and such but I think having some of the original things is neat. The customer service with this hotel is amazing. The hotel has a van that will take its guests anywhere in downtown 24 hours a day. The night we stayed was cold and raining and that van turned out to be a lifesaver. We went down to the front desk and asked to be taken somewhere and we were off. They gave us a card and said to call when we were done. Around 1 am we were ready to come back. Made a phone call and within 5 minutes the van was there to pick us up. Once back to the hotel I asked the driver where a gas station was to get something to eat. He said it was about 7 blocks away, and instead of letting me walk he said he would take me. This hotel is not a Hilton but I would recommend it to anyone and would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Hotel Fort des Moines? Share your experiences!