“Good... for the price” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in Des Moines
Chicago, Illinois
“Good... for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Pros:
Per night rate was very reasonable
Typical breakfast selection
Clean room
Comfortable bed
Friendly Staff
Large TV
Good amount of channels

Cons:
Old fixtures and furniture
Old style heating/air unit
Needs more power outlets

While the hotel rooms looked older than most ive stayed in, for the price this hotel was good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Topanga, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Was in Des Moines for both work and recreation and chose this Intercontinental Hotels Group property due to both location just outside downtown and mainly positive TA reviews. This location is just a few minutes from downtown Des Moines and maybe 20 minutes to the airport on surface streets. You must have a car unless your only destination is Drake University. There are small restaurants and shops close by. It took me only a few minutes to drive to a Dahl’s to pick up some groceries.

The hotel is located in an older tree lined neighborhood. The hotel is nicely kept and clean. The staff are polite and correct even if not particularly friendly. My room was clean and good sized though one could spot signs here and there of wear and tear on the carpets, furniture, lampshades, etc. The AC was on the loud-ish side but not an issue for me. The shower stream was strong and welcome after a day in the heat outside. No problems with the Wi-fi. I didn’t get a chance to use the business center. Plenty of parking outside and no problems with cigarette smells. My room was pretty quiet.

The breakfast included with the room rate was more than adequate. The coffee was merely passable but the biscuits and sausage gravy really got the day going. Also fruit selection, toast and pastries. They also had a pancake-making machine which I didn’t try. The breakfast area only has a few tables and unwiped spills, clutter, and empty coffee carafes indicated that it wasn’t as well looked after as in many other comparable lodging properties.

Keeping in mind that this is an “Express” brand hotel meaning it won’t be offering the kind of luxury services of more the more high brow properties, I thought that room rates could also be more aligned with its “Express” branding but overall I like this property primarily for its location near but right in downtown.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The hotel is the only hotel in the Drake neighborhood. It is convienient if you have business at Drake. The place is clean, staff are nice, the breakfast was not the greatest...but it is free with your room rate. The Drake Diner is right next door
..I would recommend eating there. The beds were very comfortable. A/C was a little loud...but I could deal with it. The price is high...but all the hotels in this area (comparing with downtown) are in this price range. So...not unreasonable in comparision. I would stay here again. I recommend if you need to be at Drake.

• Stayed August 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hotel was pretty nice. Cheking in and out was quick and easy. The room was clean. They give you nice toiletries, I like that they include a makeup removal wipe.
The free breakfast was generous. The sausage, biscuit, and cinnamon roll I tried was good. The scrambled eggs were grotty! The oragne juice was watered down and nasty. Maybe the machine was on the fritz? I would avoid those two items, but there was a wide enough variety to still make it a great amenity.
But that's about all you get. I paid $100 on Hotwire, and even at that "bargain" I felt that was a bit much to pay for an average hotel in a neighborhood in Des Moines, IA.
Speaking of Hotwire- I live in Des Moines and intended to book a hotel downtown for a "stay-cation" and was annoyed to find that they considered this hotel to be in the downtown area even though it's a couple neighborhoods away. Something to keep in mind.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Des Moines/Drake University, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear mpaulette,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel. As for the rates, we strive to provide a competitive rate in the area. It is not our intent to inconvenient our guests instead provide rate options that make sense. Nevertheless, I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kenosha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I'm not sure what "what an awful hotel" was talking about-this is a great hotel. Yes, its small and does not have a pool, fitness center, etc. How much time were you spending there; get out and enjoy the city! We have student at Drake and were very leary about staying at a hotel on campus. We were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are very clean and well maintained. The front desk staff was very helpful and answered any and all questions we had. We have traveled to many hotels and experiences "breakfasts". This one was definately the best of the best.
If you consider staying there for an event at Drake make your reservation far in advance as they fill up very quickly. That also tells me that others are also happy with this hotel.

Room Tip: For special events at Drake, make reservations early; they fell up quickly
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WisFisch
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a very nice place in a nice neighborhood in central Des Moines. Much better for us than the suburban wasteland places, and cheaper and less ostentatious than the hotels right downtown. We found it very convenient to downtown and East Village, or to the Art Museum and Isotope ave. Though hot breakfast is free there's a nice diner next door. And the service was excellent. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Eagan, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The room was spotless when I arrived...housekeeping was fantastic. I did an inspection of the room and found no hairs or stains. The front desk associate MJ was very nice and answered all my questions. Staff was friendly. Complimentary breakfast was delicious and the variety was appreciated. Definitely ask about restaurant hot spots as there are quite a few in the area of Des Moines. The Drake Diner is right next door to the hotel and they offer excellent food. They are currently remodeling so extra amenities are being added (new elevator and a fitness center). I highly recommend this property to any friends/family of Drake students. I have family who attends Drake so I will be staying here from time to time when I come and visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family