“Not worth it!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines

You added Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines to your Saves list
Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5000 Merle Hay Road, Des Moines, IA 50322 (Formerly Holiday Inn Merle Hay)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Des Moines
Arlington Hts,Il
“Not worth it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

First off the room was priced higher because of the Iowa State Fair. Rooms were hard to get! We thought spending a little more money would get us some luxuary-wrong! The room smelled of smoke even though it was non smoking. The air conditioning wasn't cooling. The people tried to help us solve our problems. The air conditioning did get better . However the smoke smell did linger. There was a charge for the breakfast. The cost was resonable, but so many places have free breakfast this was a surprise to us. As was not having a USA Today to read or a local morning paper. When we checked out, the clerk didn't even ask if we had a nice stay! I would think twice about staying here!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Worthington, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

I Pricelined this motel for $60. I believe it was a 2 1/2 star. I would rate it a 2 star. The rooms are OK. The bathrooms are showing their age and could be scrubbed down a little better. The common facilities are dated and in need of renovation.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — age
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

Stayed at the hotel while in town for a soccer tournament. The double beds are very small. There were 7 rooms with our group. All the rooms and hallways smelled musty. The air conditioning system is out dated and was not able to keep up with the heat wave they were having at the time. Rooms were very humid, so much so that in the morning your sheets and clothing felt damp. Second night the airconditioner went out in one of the rooms and started blowing warm air. Initially the front desk only offered a fan but later allowed us to switch rooms. The pool had way too much chlorine but otherwise was ok. The hotel does not have the smoking rooms separate from the non smoking. Even though our room was "non smoking" you could always smell fresh cigarette smoke coming from rooms nearby.
We will not stay there again.

• Liked — Room Rate
  • Disliked — Air Conditioning/Ventilation system; Very humid rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — You get what you pay for.
  • Stayed July 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
virginia beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2006

was surprised to have everything go right with my stay after reading all the others who had problems while staying here.

the hotel is no longer a holiday inn; it is now a ramada inn. they just changed names last week. got a nice rate of 29.95 per night. great. room had internet in it. rooms could be entered from the parking area or the lobby on the inside. had a couple of machines for exercies and a nice pool. woould stay here again.

• Stayed January 2006
Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2005

Upon my arrival, I asked the maid where the elevator was, "we don't have an elevator." Who doesn't have an elevator at a hotel? I went into one room, right above a loud maintenance room of some type, so they moved me to a quieter room. I was burning up and there was no air conditioning unit to cool the room down. I then went to the window, oh wait, the window is screwed shut, so there is no way for any air flow or in case of a fire, I can't get out and then I'd have to barrel down a flight of stairs. Hairs were all over the bathroom floor, I don't think they even bothered to clean the floor. Gross! My mother tried to lock the deadbolt in the first room we were in, and we were locked in it for 15 minutes. It was broken and somehow we managed to wiggle it loose. The second room we were in, the deadbolt wouldn't even lock. After deciding I wanted out of there, they would not refund my money because I booked it through Orbitz. They said, and I quote "you can leave, but we will still collect our money." Very rude! I will never stay at another Holiday Inn nor book through Orbitz. Neither will my family and friends. It's funny how they don't look at if a customer is unhappy to fix it rather than have a very mad person blab their mouth to potential customers. All to save a buck for them! Was it worth it?

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2005

I ended up spending one night at the Day's Inn Merle Hay after having to leave another nearby hotel because of the disgusting conditions.

Upon entering into Holiday Inn you see the very stylish yet small lobby. I was greeted quickly and in a very friendly manner. I told them about my horror story from my other hotel and they actually apologized and said they'd be sure to take care of me there. They certainly did. My husband who would be joining us later in the afternoon would qualify us for a government rate but even though he wasnt' there to check in they gave us the government rate with no trouble. The clerk then apologized that she couldn't give us a room closer to the pool, she seemed to genuinely care that our stay was great. She then said she would keep the extra key for my husband to pick up later.

The room we had was nice. They had a nice TV with internet access,pay movies,pay CD's,and even pay nintendo available. Everything seemed newer and was very nice. The pool area was clean and the pool and jacuzzi were both very nice. There were ample towels and seating available as well as a ping pong table. There was a small exercise room with a elliptical machine, treadmill, and bike, along with a TV. It was nice other than it was very warm.

I also have to mention the lobby had complimentary cookies and brownies etc. that were EXCELLENT! There is an attached restaurant that offers room service and kids staying with you eat free with a paying adult. We didn't have a chance to check out the restaurant but it looked nice.

The best part of the hotel was the friendly staff. Every single worker we came in contact with was super nice and offered us anything we needed. We'd definately stay again.

• Stayed March 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2005

My family and I stayed here 1 night for a college tour. This hotel is a great place to have a good night sleep, take a swim, exercise, and have a filling breakfast. Holiday Inn's seem to work nice for our family on small occasions. Don't expect a Plaza staff or a Ritz diner. It has a wonderful pool area, with a nice breakfast/brunch, including bagels, milk, cereal, fruit, and much more. This was the perfect hotel for our short trip.

Been to Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines? Share your experiences!