“Nice hotel, great location, Internet... sucks” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in Des Moines
Vancouver, Canada
“Nice hotel, great location, Internet... sucks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have stayed here many times over the years.

Here is my breakdown:

Valet:
Their staff have always been nice to me. Although sometimes hard to find the Valet staff. I believe that they are also the bellhops, so they often run errands as well.
I would definitely recommend more full-time dedicated valet staff.

Lobby Bar:
AMAZING Staff. I forget his name, but the gentleman working the night of 4/11/2013 was absolutely amazing. Got me blue-cheese stuff olives when I asked (had to go into the back to make them, but still did).
Totally went above and beyond the call of duty.

Front-desk staff:
Friendly. Always greeted me with a smile and hello as I entered. Recognized my Platinum status.

Concierge lounge:
Average.

Internet/TV:
Sucks. Sorry to be so blunt. As I said, I have stayed here several times over the years (probably at 5) and have to say, every time that the internet service sucks.
I am a business traveler and have to be able to connect to the VPN for work. The network dropped so much that I could never stay connected. I couldn't even stay connected long enough on my iPad to be able to download an app.
I did end up going to the lobby bar to use the internet (the connection in the lobby much better then the rest of the hotel).

I understand it's an old hotel, but internet in today's society (especially for the business traveler) is one of those things that HAS to be up to speed and work reliably.

The TV stations had several blank channels and not many at that. Meh... it's a hit and miss in every city you go to whether "your" channel will be on the TV.

Overall:
Beautiful building, modern lobby. Would have been nice to have somewhere to put my clothes if I wanted to unpack. The rooms, depending on which you get of course, are typically big enough to fit a dresser in. It would be nice to look into that as it's a common amenity in most hotels now a days. I'd recommend staying here, just be aware of the internet.

Room Tip: Well, 932's internet sucks...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Savery Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
My apologies for the internet service. We are working with our vendor to solve our issues on high demand time for internet. I do appreciate the kind comments on our staff and will certainly pass along your feedback to them. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Was here over the weekend to watch some Iowa Wild hockey action. Saw the Milwaukee Admirals checking in when we got there.

Hotel is very nice; very representative of the Renaissance brand. Our two-double room wasn't huge, but was big enough. It also had a walk-in closet, so if you're a steamer-trunk kind of traveler, that would probably be good for you.

Linens were clean, beds were comfy, elevators were good, location downtown was easy. Parking is not free, but there is a ramp that is pretty cheap just across the front door of the lobby.

Considering it was the same price as the Marriott for our stay, I thought it was a great bargain.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the very kind comments on your stay with us. We do appreciate your feedback and for choosing us for your Des Moines stop.
San Leandro, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

The rating should be 3.75 stars - I rounded up to four stars. My husband and I found the staff to be very helpful. We received excellent customer service during our entire stay. The room was very comfortable - we slept well every night. You can tell it is a renovated hotel because when we turned up the heat, the heater in the room started knocking. This may be odd, but we found this to be a charming aspect of the historic property. The down sides were few. 1) The internet/wifi connection is spotty, particularly in the evening. This needs to be improved. 2) We had to constantly giggle the cables in the back of the TV in our room to get the remote to work. 3) The food at the main restaurant on the first floor and room service was bland. Overall - it was a reliable hotel with great service.

Green Features: It needs to be marketed better in the room. I did not immediately find any information.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. We are continuing to work on our internet performance. It is only during peak usage times that we are experiencing challenges. Thank you again.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed here for just one night as we were attending a wedding nearby. The staff were incredibly accommodating and friendly - seriously the best I've ever experienced. The rooms were also very nice and kind of had a throwback colonial charm. Definitely a great stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Savery Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for the very nice comments on your stay with us. I will certainly share your feedback with my team.
Thanks again.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Last weekend we had the opportunity to stay two nights at this hotel in De Moines as did our daughter, son-in-law and baby grandson. Our daughter and husband were attending a wedding, and we were the babysitters. We had adjoining rooms with their room having a crib. The hotel did everything to make our stay enjoyable--extra pillows, the crib, extra towels, etc. The entire staff was VERY friendly. The location is very good--near the river and an easy walk to a huge Farmer's Market. We were on the 10th floor and heard no noise at all. We ate breakfast both days in their dining room eating off the menu and/or having the buffet. The choices for freshly made omelets were wonderful---the best omelet I have ever had. The bar is very lovely and roomy as is the lounge. We would stay there again if we are in Des Moines.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Savery Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for the very kind feedback on your stay with us. There is only a couple of more weeks left this year for the farmers market. Come back down and do some shopping.
Thank you for staying with us.
Muscatine, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We booked this on Travelocity and named our price. We stayed here to go to the Iowa State fair and we were impressed with this hotel. The rooms were very big, two bathrooms per room! The kids had room to play and we could sit on the couch and not be scrunched into a small area.

We would definitely stay here again.

Quick note: there is not a free breakfast, but the restaurant on the first floor was very good. It had a decent buffet with any breakfast item you could want.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Savery Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback to your stay with us in August. State Fair in Iowa is a must for all to experience at least once. Thanks again.
Cave Creek, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We liked the location of the Savery. It seemed to be within walking distance of a lot of touristy spots. Plus, there's a free bus that circulates around the downtown Grand / Locust Street area.

We asked for an upgraded room and got a junior suite. That's a room with a kitchenette. Plus, based on peeking into other rooms, it was a bit larger as well. The room was nice. My only complaint was that the furniture was pretty abused. Not a biggie but worth mentioning.

Other than that, it was what I've come to expect of Marriott properties. Good for business, nicely appointed and the service was outstanding.

Room Tip: Ask nicely for an upgrade.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on your stay with us. We are working with the manufacturer to come up with a solution to touching up our furniture. Thanks again for taking the time to score us.

Been to Renaissance Savery Hotel? Share your experiences!