“Good choice for downtown stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Enjoy Breakfast, On Us!
Ranked #13 of 46 hotels in Des Moines
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“Good choice for downtown stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

I came for business and booked here. Overall I was pleased with my room and overall hotel experience. I did not try any of the restaurants inside hotel. Parking was confusing. Use valet, otherwise you have to park in garage across street. There is a skyway, but kind of a hassle.

• Stayed September 2013

215 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Marriot Des Moines Downtown from 24-28 August. The hotel room is clean and tidy and the staff are very polite and approachable.
Avoid staying at the room near the lift or ice dispenser and it is quite noisy if you wish to get good sleep.
The restaurant is a little small and the queue for the breakfast buffet is pretty long if you are happen to have breakfast during the rush hour.
The concierge lounge is small and the food variety is very limited unlike the other marriot chain hotels in Asia. Furthermore they are closed during weekends.
In general the hotel can be considered to stay if you have to attend a meeting or conference in Des Moines.

Dr E. Chow

• Stayed August 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had a great stay here for the Hy-Vee Tri. We checked in Saturday and the front desk was quick and friendly. Our room was clean and fairly big. It had a mini fridge AND a microwave which was a plus for us. We were on the 21st floor and the elevators were quick and they had plenty. The pool on the 3rd floor is actually really nice and had lap lanes. The gym looked nice as well and way more than just the usual 2 treadmills and an elliptical that grace most places. It was also walking distance to Zombie Burger as well as the bar scene on Court Avenue. We still had to drive to the race, but would definitely stay here again for the race next year.
We were also easily able to find street parking EASILY both nights to avoid the $20/parking fee.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed here for a week for a work conference. It was wonderful. The staff were very helpful, the food served at the conference was fabulous. Their breakfast pizza was excellent. The only complaint I have is that the conference rooms were frigid; but the did manage to bring up the temps once we asked them to. The lobby is beautiful. They have shuttle service that will take you anywhere in the city. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Rockford, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed there on 8/24/13. The facilities were very nice and centrally located for our activities. They have valet parking and I recommend it. They are very fast at retrieving your car. Worth the $20 charge. Not much parking in area as I could see. The only downside was no refrigerator in our room. If staying longer would have asked about. Bed very comfortable and staff very friendly.

Room Tip: This was part of wedding block. Very happy w/ room. Heard no complaints from any other members of...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Mitchell, South Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

When you go to an elevator and it just starts to close it should pop open when you put your hand in. Well I did that and it didn't stop, so my hand on one side elbow the other, waiting for it to open... Not. My arm was stuck, had to yank my arm out! Was there for a wedding reception spent two nights there. Went to the front desk to let them know what happened. They called the security person Kyle, took my report asked if I need medical assistance, I said I don't think so, it Really hurts but I have to get back to the reception. My 7 year old daughter was behind me when this happened and didn't want her to worry. She saw the tiers in my eyes and was freaking, so I sucked it up. They asked me if I wanted an ice pack and that was it! No discount, I got a call from a claims guy, Chris 2 days later, saying the Marriott has no accident insurence and would mail me a form and call in a few days to see how I was. This happened on 8/17/13, still no second call!
Long story short what if it was my kid? Or yours? I had a 5 inch long and 2 inch wide bruise above my elbow for two weeks!

Room Tip: Stay on the lower floors!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed two nights. It was a convenient location for the Iowa State Fair and Adventureland. We appreciated the later hours for the lobby bar/ food area. The pool area also had convenient hours and was enjoyable for the kids. Valet parking was full, however street parking and garage parking were close and free. Buffet breakfast in restaurant was acceptable. The staff did not seem surprised when we reported a sleeping (passed out?) man in the hallway directly outside our room the first morning and didn't seem to understand how it affected our feeling of safety in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Des Moines Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!