“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Hotel Des Moines Downtown

Save Saved
You added Embassy Suites Hotel Des Moines Downtown to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Hotel Des Moines Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 East Locust Street, Des Moines, IA 50309 (Formerly Embassy Suites Hotel Des Moines-On The River)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Receive Double Points
Ranked #2 of 46 hotels in Des Moines
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My second time at this hotel. Great location as we walked to baseball park for a game and walked to the Des moines farmer's market on Saturday AM. The shuttle service drivers were great, drove us to and from the Iowa state fair and to dinner. The hotel is rather pricey and they charge for WiFi which seems a rip when the room is $200. Nice breakfast, open bar Happy Hour. Large 2 room suites but still sort of a rip as you have to pay for parking. Des Moines is not a busy city. No traffic and no pressure for the parking lot.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Sommymom;

Thank you for coming back! Sounds like you had a busy stay enjoying the great fun events Des Moines has to offer (the Farmer's Market is my favorite)! I appreciate your nice comments about the free shuttle service and the drivers we have. We do have complimentary WiFi available in the public areas and in the business center. It is also complimentary for Hilton HHonors Gold and Diamond members. In addition we offer the premium floor for a nominal price premium, but it includes complimentary internet, a 24 hour complimentary refreshment center with drinks and snacks, Keurig in-room coffee, and iHome music stations you can play through your phone or iPad. This might be a good option for you, especially if traveling with family.

425 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
mia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

embassy suites is a personal favorite and the riverfront hotel is my go to hotel in des moines. the start to finish experience is outstanding and i would recommend this beautiful hotel, its superb facilities and great staff to any visitor. the outdoor theater adjacent to the river is a hub of activity and its proximity allows for a fantastic nightlife within walking distance!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Dear soflo_travel;

I am, glad that we are your personal favorite and that you found the hotel beautiful and the staff friendly. Thank you for your business - greatly appreciated!

South Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I extensively read Trip Advisor hotel reviews prior to traveling to Des Moines. I saw some other hotel was higher rated than the Embassy Suites but I just decided I liked the feedback I saw from the General Manager, Skip, at the Embassy Suites~I was very happy I stayed at Embassy Suites!
First I requested a room on the top floor facing West so I could have a great view of the Des Moines River and the downtown area. The view was outstanding. I was on the Premium floor so my room had a Kuerig coffee maker, microwave and fridge. The room was a true suite so I could shut the door to the living area. The shower and bath have been recently updated and look great! The bed was so comfortable with wonderful soft linens. My upgraded room also came with a complementary snack center near the elevator where I could use a code and get water, diet coke and all kinds of healthy snacks.
The other great thing is this hotel has a free shuttle from the airport and it will also take you within 2 miles of the hotel. Downtown Des Moines has an abundance of restaurants so you could either walk to the East Village (see my review on this) or take the shuttle to Court Avenue. I did rent a car from the airport as I required one for this visit. However, there is an Enterprise Leasing about 1/2 block away I will use next time. That way I can take free shuttle to hotel and wait and pick up the car on the following day. So i find this a big bonus.
At this location you will be within walking distance of the Iowa State Capital which is the 2nd largest in USA. You will also be able to walk to the Des Moines Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings (seasonally) and this is a ton of fun!
The hotel has a full bar and restaurant which is handy and free breakfast which is very nice.
I have read some criticism about the noise in the lobby due to the 8 story waterfall and I have to agree it does take away a little from the overall wonderful ambiance of the hotel. But I don't spend a lot of time in hotel lobbies so this does not matter much to me.
The only negative was the AC in the small workout room was not working and some of the equipment needed some TLC. However as soon as I brought this matter to the attention of the always friendly and professional staff they had someone working on it. It was too late for me to utilize~however there is a YMCA one block away and I am a member so I utilized that.
This is a wonderful place to stay!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river and on a higher floor for the best view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Bookwoman44;

Thank you for reading my reviews! I truly appreciate your detailed review of the hotel and I am very glad that you found everything to be excellent. I am glad that you were able to enjoy our Premium Floor accommodations and that you found them to be great. We are part of an Embassy test to see if this is something that should be rolled out nationally and I will share your feedback with the Brand Executives.

Thank you again - come back to see us soon!

Fort Dodge, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

After serving in the military for 23 years, I have found few "perks" to military life. As a reservist that travels for every drill weekend, however, I thought I had at last found one "perk" with the Downtown DSM Embassy. For the last 5 years, my family and I have loyally stayed at the this hotel every weekend I have drill--over 60 weekends. I have used the hotel chain's government rate to pay for our room. Until recently, that is. The hotel's manager (Ryan) informed me this morning that this specific Embassy has done away with government rates on all weekends and most weekdays. I am baffled by this. We've enjoyed the great restaurant, come to know the staff by name, and feel like we are at home in this hotel. I guess we are going to be looking for a new home away from home for the rest of ours stays in DSM.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
shammerman, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Jason L;

Thank you very much for your comments regarding the Government Rate. The rate is based on availability (as are all discounted rates) and as our hotel is so very busy most of the time, the availability has been more and more limited lately. It still may be available at times, so I do encourage you to look for it before you travel to Des Moines and if it is available it will be on the Embassy website as well as through calling reservations.

Thank you again for your comments - we hope to be of service to you in the future.

Gainesville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Great hotel for business travel. Shuttle to and from airport and downtown businesses available to all guests. Nice breakfast included daily and restaurant with nice variety on menu available until late. Courteous and helpful staff means I always select Embassy Suites when traveling to Des Moines.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed here for two nights at the end of a 6-State, 14-Night Road Trip and it was an excellent hotel to finish in. The hotel has a large, bright atrium with breakfast room, restaurant, bar and casual seating. There is a complimentary evening reception between 17.30 and 19.30 every evening that includes chips and dips as well as Wine, Sangria, Beer and a pretty decent selection of spirits; we spent a couple of very relaxing pre-dinner evenings sat outside in the patio area enjoy the drinks! The rooms are really well appointed; we had a Double Queen Suite with a large separate lounge and kitchenette and decent sized bathroom. There is a good guest laundry, gym and swimming pool. The Hotel is in an excellent location on the banks of the Des Moines River and in the heart of the East Village were you will find a few good restaurants and bars. There is a decent river front walk straddling both sides of the river and connected by various bridges that was great for early morning runs or strolls. On our first night there was a concert taking place in the open air theatre on the riverbank right outside the hotel, which we enjoyed on the way back from dinner. There is a free Trolley Bus that stops close by the hotel and has stops throughout the Capitol and Downtown area on both sides of the river. In addition, the hotel has a complimentary shuttle bus which we used to get to the Iowa State Fair as well as to restaurants in the downtown area. Breakfast was excellent with a very good selection of hot and cold items including sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, hash browns, waffles and biscuits as well as made to order omelettes and pancakes. You can help yourself to milk, chocolate milk, juice and soda as well as pastries, yoghurts, fresh fruit salad and other fruit items, etc. The hotel was quite pricey at $430 for two nights but you do get what you pay for and I’m glad we stayed here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Travelpassion;

i hope taht you have truly enjoyed your tour of the United States! I appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel in detail and I am very glad that you found everything to be "outstanding". Your feedback is valuable and will give an idea to other travelers what to expect when they are our guest.

Raleigh, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

stayed at this hotel for business and it was awesome...I had small problem checking in because I did not have the business card that the room was reserved on due to the fact only managers have that card...but that was taken care of...hotel very clean and quiet...breakfast was awesome...i would stay here every chance I could

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Des Moines Downtown? Share your experiences!