“Great Get away weekend !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Des Moines Airport

You added Ramada Des Moines Airport to your Saves list
Ramada Des Moines Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1810 Army Post Road, Des Moines, IA 50315 (Formerly Magnuson Hotel Des Moines Airport)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in Des Moines
Northern Illinois
“Great Get away weekend !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

From the first moment you walk through the doors it's beautiful welcoming. It was freezing outside and the warm and inviting fireplace was going strong. The front desk got us to our room fast. The room was a perfect size for two kids, 4-5 years old, not to get in one another's way. My kids swam at the pool from morning til night and was perfect for the inexperienced swimmer and the advanced. One night when we got back to our room the maid service had made our beds and put the kids teddy bear, kitty and their blankets so cute on the bed all tucked in that my daughter said "Look they must of been tired, but now they are all tucked in the comfy bed". I don't think I have had such a good nights sleep. Very quiet, our room was facing the pool area, and for two kids that are up by 6am every morning to sleep until 9am I think that they approved of the bed too. We ate at the restaurant which was so convent with the kids swimming all day we didn't have to go outside just walk straight over and eat. Perfect ! Breakfast was great my kids can't stop talking about the monkey bread that they had and now want me to learn how to make it. A great weekend for myself and kids. Got to meet nice people that only lived 4 blocks away from the hotel and took their Grand kids there for the weekend to swim. Over all I would go back and stay if I could.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Rockford, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

We traveled to Iowa for the State Fair August 20-21, 2009 and stayed at the Best Western Airport Des Moines. It was perfect for our family of 4, with kids ages 9 and 4. The indoor pool area was huge, and included a hot tub. The rooms were very clean, and had a microwave and mini fridge. The bathroom was very large. The beds were wonderful, nice and comfortable with fluffy comforters and large puffy pillows. The A/C worked great, which is appreciated on typical August evenings. The hotel offered a shuttle service and a work out room, although we didn't have the opportunity to utilize them. Bennigan's restaurant/bar is attached to the hotel, and offered a complimentary HOT breakfast for overnight guests. They served scrambled eggs, bacon, french toast ... not your typical "complimentary" breakfast of bagels, yogurt and muffins at other hotels. Even though the hotel is close to the airport, it was still very quiet. The desk staff were friendly and helpful. It is obvious that the property owners and managers are dedicated to offering a clean and comfortable stay, while provided added value.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Omaha, NE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

I had a very mixed experience with the Best Western Airport Hotel in Des Moines. Although my room was comfortable and quiet (and I attribute the quiet entirely to an almost-empty hotel), and the amenities (fridge and microwave, iron/ironing board) were helpful and well-maintained, I can't help but think that my room had not been rented for a while... or kept at a clean level. There was hair in the sink, the toilet didn't work, the coffee maker was dusty, the bathroom vent was horrendously filthy, the comforter on the bed had little dark red spots (yes, like blood) in various places, and the whole room had the vague smell of urine. I'm glad I didn't have to pay the standard rate of $89.99 (on a Sunday!), and had I had more time to plan, I certainly would have searched around for better accommodations. Very disappointing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

I visited this hotel last year and honestly was not looking forward to going back. However, I was very pleased! They are under new management and have put a lot of effort into it. The room was very comfortable. I ate at the Bennigan's in the hotel and it was excellent. The staff in both areas was friendly and helpful. I recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

I stayed with a large group of friends. The hotel smelled of mold, there were dark spots on the wallpaper not only in the rooms but in the hallways. Mold will make you sick, so why is this allowed in a hotel?

• Liked — Nice lobby
  • Disliked — smelled like mold, didn't seem clean, dark and dirty
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wheaton,IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

The walls were so thin,I could hear the neighbor's coughing most of the night, I think I got fleas or bed bug bite also, I was itchy after my night there. Like the hot buffet breakfast & the free wireless internet connection.

• Liked — compliment hot buffet breakfast & wireless internet connection
  • Disliked — too thin walls
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Daphne, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2008

This is the second time we've stayed at this hotel for a soccer tournament held every year in April. According to the property layout on the back of the door, there are a few larger rooms, but most are tiny. Last weekend we had 3 people in a tiny room and for the price I paid it was not pleasant. The attached Bennigan's serves a free hot breakfast buffet with a pleasant gal refilling coffee.

My in-room coffee maker didn't work the first morning but it was replaced. We needed extra towels and they were delivered promptly. When the people in the adjacent room took a shower, water poured from the area surrounding our showerhead into the tub. The hotel is very spread out and the large pool area is in the middle of it all.

Some rooms overlook the pool area and I made sure I didn't get one - people cut through to get to the lobby and restaurant and I didn't want the extra noise and possible chlorine smell. From our room I could see the planes at the end of the runway start their takeoff. Most of the area east/north of the hotel is pretty rundown, try the Okoboji Grill about two miles east/north - great place.

Stayed April 2008

Been to Ramada Des Moines Airport? Share your experiences!