“WHAT A DUMP!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Des Moines Airport

You added Ramada Des Moines Airport to your Saves list
Ramada Des Moines Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1810 Army Post Road, Des Moines, IA 50315 (Formerly Magnuson Hotel Des Moines Airport)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in Des Moines
Cincinnati, Ohio
“WHAT A DUMP!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This place is TIRED!!! The photos of this place are misleading, the rooms are small, the beds are OK at best. The carpets don't look like they have been replaced since 1972. The bathrooms are dated as well. The place is need of landscaping in the worst way. When you pull in around the hotel there are weeds all over the place to welcome you to your room. When you see weeds surrounding the building you know you're in trouble. This is an airport hotel, so don't be surprised when you see jumbo jets touching down just outside your bedroom window. If you don't see them, you will certainly hear them. This is a Des Moines airport not JFK, so there aren't planes coming and going every second but more than enough to keep the fun going all night. The upside is that continental breakfast was decent. Also, skip the Bennigan's restaurant that is attached to the place, its as beaten down as the hotel is. I was happy to leave without any skin diseases, so that was a plus.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
AirportHotelDSM, General Manager at Ramada Des Moines Airport, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, we apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. We are going through some changes with management in both the restaurant and hotel as well as renovating different areas of the building including our guest rooms. We have discussed your concerns and are working to make the improvements necessary to ensure a quality guest experience. We hope you give us another opportunity the next time you are in Des Moines.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel in major need of an overhaul. The rooms were clean, but out dated. We were with a large party and one of them had problems with the bathroom door knob and got stuck in the bathroom for a bit of time. The hotel staff was notified and the maintenance man fixed it immediately. The hallway carpets were very stained and appeared dirty. The pool area is a nice huge area, but the ceiling was in bad shape, the cement area around the pool seemed dirty which is unfortunate because you don't see many pools this large, or areas to sit around the pool this large any more. It was nice that our group was able to sit at the tables in the pool area and have a lot of room. The pool area was hot and humid, almost unbearable at times. We had to open a door to get some ventilation.
The Bennigans is connected which is nice, but the restaurant tables are sticky. Doesn't seem like they are dirty but both the table we sat at for our evening meal and the table we sat at for breakfast were sticky. Breakfast had potential, but many members of our party experienced cold pancakes and French toast.
It was pricey for the quality of the hotel.
The good news is that hotel is renovating and has the potential to be a great place. Unfortunately I don't think many members of our party would be willing to ever go back and give it another try.

Room Tip: Members of our party complained that the rooms near the pool were very humid.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Came in late; they allowed our pets which was good for an usually cold May night.
Breakfast ended too early for us to get any. Because we arrived after 1:00 we did not get up in time to eat. Breakfast til 10 would have been good. That was the only complaint.

• Stayed May 2013
Waverly
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The absolute best thing about this hotel is the staff. The desk clerk was wonderful. The breakfast host was attentive, friendly, and excellent. The bed was comfortable and breakfast was more than rolls, so I don't have room for complaints. In fact, I was so cozy in my bed that I accidentally slept in an extra hour. Another advantage is that this airport hotel is not under the flight paths, so it was quiet. However, ...

This hotel has recently changed names, so it wasn't in my Garmin. Oops. The carpets need replacement and things are generally dingy in appearance. I might have really freaked out about the bug in the coffee maker water well, but I am from Iowa and know a Box Elder bug when I see one (harmless and just trying to get out of the cold). On the other hand, it is evidence that the bugs have access.

If you get a good price and need an airport hotel, this is a fine spot, but do not expect luxury.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is clean and the staff is friendly. There Bennigan's attached. Room was clean though a bit outdated. Some rooms face interior with your "window" facing the lobby - noisy. If your looking for a clean moderately priced room by the airport it fits the bill. On the plus side the bed was good quality

• Stayed March 2013
Munising, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This was my first time staying at this motel. I was in Iowa for business and was scheduled to stay there the night before I flew home. The first room they gave me was a room next to the lobby with a window that faced inside the motel which meant I would have to keep my curtain drawn while there. I asked for another room which they gladly gave me however they asked if I needed a bathtub becuase they were going to give me a handicap room which did not have a tub.... I said that would be ok but asked if the motel was full that I wasn't able to have a regular room. They said no it was not. The carpet in the room was new.... however, the shower was not very inviting in that is was old looking and not very clean looking. I was on the first floor. The curtain had holes in it - which I have not seen in a motel before! The night stand had a clock but it wasn't plugged in because only one of the outlet plugins next to the bed did not work. The room really needed some updating as there was not a lap on the table but there was a floor lamp which I moved next to the bed in front of the bedside stand. The TV is was old and was not a very clear picture. I will say the bed was very comfy. I did use the room service from the attached restaurant. The service and food was good. I also ate at the complimentary breakfast which was ok. My biggest complaint would be the price - $107 for the room. I stayed at a Hampton for $99.75 and a Comfort Suites for $107.00 both very nice, updated rooms, clean, and a good continental breakfast. The location to the airport was convenient as I used the shuttle. The staff was friendly.

Room Tip: If you are not satisfied with a room I think they would be accommodating to switch you.... just not...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

After taking 3 international visitors to the DSM airport at 6am, we found that their flights had been cancelled, and rescheduled for the next day. Needing a place for them to spend the day and night, and wanting a nice restaurant, we stopped at the Best Western Airport Hotel. The staff was most accommodating, they let my guests check in at 6:30am, let them eat at the hot breakfast bar, and only charged $65 on a 'distressed traveler' rate. While this review cannot attest to the room quality, all other aspects of this hotel were great, and fully appreciated.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Ramada Des Moines Airport? Share your experiences!