“Good and disappointed.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in Des Moines
Fair Haven, VT
“Good and disappointed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Had a nice room and convenient location in the city. The AAA listing said the hotel had a hot tub. Did not and that was a disappointment. Enjoyed the exercise room and it had several machines. Receptionist was very helpful and friendly. Only caffeinated tea.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Pardeeville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We arrived at check in time the night of a Taylor Swift concert at the Wells Fargo Arena. There was a line but we didn't wait very long and the 3 ladies working were friendly, professional and efficient. Our room had a great view of the Capitol which was beautiful at night. The Arena was less than a block away which was really nice especially after the concert was finished. Even though the hotel was full it was quiet and easy to sleep. Breakfast was good and there wasn't a long wait at 8:00 am like we were expecting with that many people staying there. The hotel is situated in a great location for walking and biking. I walked to the Capital and back after breakfast, showered and was ready to check out well before noon. The only inconvenience we had was finding something to eat close by at 10:30 at night. Everything at the arena was closed by the time we were hungry for supper after the concert (as was the hotel restaurant) so either eat at a decent hour, be prepared to walk the other direction for food or have food of your own in your room. We settled for snacks from the vending machine which had a big selection. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed here for business in July 2013. The hotel has been around for awhile and it is easy to tell that but there has been some redecorating and it was fine for my needs. I used the fitness center which is small but the elliptical worked. I never heard a peep from any of the other rooms. I ate dinner in the restaurant and had the complimentary breakfast buffet in the morning. Both were perfectly fine. The front desk was helpful. The hotel is very convenient to downtown, the capitol area and right by the Iowa Events Center. I had a very nice view of the state capitol. The only things I would have liked is a refrigerator and they are only available in some of the rooms. I will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Hotel was clean and front desk staff was courteous. Nice size pool and restaurant was also decent if you really did not want to or could not leave. Continental breakfast was awesome the first day, but on Sunday 7/28 there were signs all over stating there was a "problem" in the kitchen and breakfast would be delayed. What they prepared on Sunday was not as good as Saturday, but I understand "problems" sometime happen. Overall good experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Room was overpriced for the condition of the rooms and hotel - but, when you want to stay in downtown Des Moines and right next to the Wells Fargo arena for a a concert - you're paying for location, not luxury accommodations. The location is perfect if you're attending anything at the arena, Hy Vee hall, any of those venues. Literally a one block walk to enter Wells Fargo arena and you can leave your car parked at the hotel and not deal with getting in and out before and after a big concert. If I ever attend another concert there, I will be staying at this hotel again.

There was a line to check in (everyone checking in was going to the same concert we were.) The manager blamed the back up on their computer system being overloaded and crashing. When I finally got up to the desk, it worked fine for my transaction. I got the king bed room (more expensive) but did get a microwave and refrigerator in the room. The room was okay - nothing special. There is a complimentary buffet breakfast - standard hotel breakfast fare, but it comes with the room.

Overall this hotel was good for what we needed it for. I did manage to get a room facing to the east which had a nice view of the river and the Capitol building.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed here in May for an conference I was attending. I had a suite and it was adequate. The hotel is a older and dated, but my room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

I have two main issues with this hotel.

1. The breakfast area is horribly maintained. It has a nice view, but the people working there don't care about cleanliness. We were not the only group staying in the hotel that weekend, and the hotel was fairly crowded. The one woman working in the breakfast area just sat there and watched as the food got low and was never replenished, and didn't move when the one trash bag filled with plates. It got so bad that the trash spilled on the floor. You could smell the food that had sat in the trash for hours..it was disgusting. I went to her and told her that there was trash and food all over the floor so someone could come and get it. She never said okay or thank you or I'll get on it. She just gave me this nasty look like "b**ch, okay", and kept it moving. Really? The breakfast isn't even that great. As crowded as the hotel was that weekend you'd think they'd have more than one person working in the breakfast room. I imagine she was overwhelmed, but that's no excuse for trash and food all over the floor.

2. Watch your bill when you check out. The front desk management tried to overcharge my group although we paid for several rooms in advance and in full. They tried to charge us two and three times and got really ugly when we tried to get it resolved. If this is how they treat people who reserve over 30 rooms in their hotel I can only imagine what someone staying overnight goes through.

I feel like the bad experiences that I had and that other people in our group had is partly my fault - I picked this hotel for our room block based on price and location. Next year when we have our conference I will pick another hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Little Falls, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Reservations were made for us by the team's coach and while it was close to where the team was competing, it was obvious that upkeep is not a priority here. There was an ugly stain on the ceiling tile, cigarette burns on the bathtub and kleenex dispenser, stains on the hallway carpet, no fridges, no microwaves available to guests. When I opened the desk drawer, there were receipts and paperwork from the previous guests that had not been cleaned out out by the housekeeping staff. With a proper checklist system, that doesn't happen. On the plus side, the front desk staff, the breakfast staff were all very friendly & professional. If I were to ever return to Des Moines, however, this would not be my choice of lodging.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Event Center? Share your experiences!