“Terrible unorganized management” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in Des Moines
Hopkinton, Iowa
“Terrible unorganized management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Paid 200.00 for a room I was told I never had. I made a reservation 1 year in advance and they made me put my reservation in seperate names. Who does that? Then when I called 10 months later they told me I only had one room only to find out after the first night of our stay that I had two rooms and I had been charged for the empty room full price and they would not refund me a penny. Very poor management and high priced for a low end hotel. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Heather C, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
I'm sorry that you feel it necessary to post this kind of review. when the problem was that YOU made two reservations in two seperate names and paid for the two rooms and then YOU forgot. At which time you wanted us to take responsiblility for your not checking into the second room. You felt like we should have told you that we had mulitple rooms for individuals with the same last name and that is against our safety policies. We also provided you with mulitple confirmations. So I do apologize for any confusion.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I'm in Des Moines twice per month for work and I stayed here on July 29th. It is on a busy road however my room was 3rd floor rear and I never heard a thing. The hotel is a good value for the money. I tried this hotel after having a horrible experience at another Des Moines property and would definitely return.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We have recently updated our rooms. So please come agian, I am sure you will enjoy the new bedding.
Iowa City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stay frequently at Choice Hotels - usually Comfort Suites and nice Comfort Inns. I had not stayed at an Econolodge before, but there were not a lot of available options for the two nights I needed in Des Moines.

I tried this out based on other reviews and was very satisfied. I was upgraded to a suite and the room was clean and the bed comfortable. It was steaming hot outside, and the air unit I had worked great! Nice tv with lots of channels. Wi-fi was was good enough (went down for a bit, but worked most of the time). Probably the most important thing for me is that it was quiet. Not a lot of guests on those days, but still didn't hear much noise.

I give it a 4 rating as a budget hotel. It was a charmless place - but worked. Pool looked budget. No fitness room. There were a couple breakfast items, not much, but at least something. The staff was busy, but friendly and willing to help. Iron's at front desk and iron boards little things that make ironing a little extra of a challenge.

The location is a right across from the fairgrounds. It's on the old east end of town. Not a lot of good places to eat right there. But I had meetings downtown and it took me less than 10 minutes commute without extra cost of hotel and parking required at downtown hotels.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We love to hear from our guests.
Oskaloosa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Fine bed and linens. The first floor carpet is worn but they mentioned the 3rd level rooms have been renovated lately. Really fine for the money. Breakfast bit above average for continental. Many other restaurants close by, close to I-80. I didn't see the pool as had no time or need for it.

Room Tip: Third floor has been redone.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and choosing to stay with us here.
St. George, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Not the best, but worth the low cost. Convenient location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Heather C, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I hope you always enjoy your stay with us.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

i came in 2009 and it was bad it smelled, was dirty and the staff wasnt so nice but i have been here two nights now and it is much better! i know it is on a busy street but the pool is on the back side and i havent heard a single car. the rooms r much cleaner (may not be top of the line like im used to but worth it for the money) staff is much better and nicer... well worth it for the money!

We have been working diligently to provide the best guest experience. Our staff appreciated the review. It helps them strive to provide top notch guest and room service when they hear it from you. Thank you for taking the time to write the review. Heather Clair GM.
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Breakfast was kinda lame...and the pool smelled funky but the rooms are nice

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you for writing this review. It helps to know which areas are in need of attention. Heather Clair GM

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!