“A Delightful Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Butler House on Grand

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Des Moines
Butler House on Grand
You added Butler House on Grand to your Saves list
4507 Grand Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50312   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Des Moines B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“A Delightful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Webster's Dictionary should be amended to include a picture of Lauren and Clark Smith alongside the definition of the word "hospitality". Our room included modern conveniences, but retained the character you would expect to find in an elegant home. Breakfast exceeded all expectations. We stayed for two nights and our only regret is that we didn't book a longer stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I was very impressed with the Butler House. Actually, my stay at the Butler house exceeded my expectations! Beautiful Tudor home, the history of the structure has been preserved and maintained extremely well. This bed and breakfast a unique and historical feel to it. A great reprieve from the hotel drill. I just booked another stay there, and unfortunately, they were booked. So, the secret is obviously out.

Room Tip: Master suite
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
thankfulmomof3
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Lauren and Clark have quite simply the most romantic,charming and delightful bread and breakfast that I have ever been to! My husband and I stayed in the Garden Room and it was gorgeous! The bed was big and comfy and Lauren even offered to turn down our bed for us! She brought us chocolates in the evening when checking on us to make sure that we were set for the night! They have refreshments that are available to guests at no charge. The decor fits well with the charm of this home that was built in the 1920's and is right across the street from the Des Moines art center. The bed was simply luxurious and comfortable to sleep in. The next morning for breakfast our hosts first brought out a plate of wonderful fresh fruit and then for the main course we had a delightful ham and cheese quiche, homemade cinnamon rolls and hashbrowns! They also have the most exquisite coffee. I literally felt like Cinderella with my prince in the beautiful castle!! We highly recommend this place and will be back again! I will say though the rooms are not handicapped accessible though (my husband has M.S and walks with a cane and so it took him a bit to get up to our room), so if you are someone who uses a wheelchair or has difficultly walking you may want to keep this in mind. Still though by far this home and it's hosts are simply grand!

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent two nights at Butler House on Grand last week and were in love with it from web we first saw it. We stayed in the master suite and took in the beautiful sunlight and airiness o the room. The entire house is gorgeous and the decorating is amazing. The main room with the piano is great, too, as I love to play. Another dies wowed us with his amazing playing one morning after breakfast and blew me away. So fantastic to meet that couple.

Lauren and Clark (the owners) were wonderful to us. I have a lot of food allergies and without fuss they catered to them perfectly. I gave them a list of what I could and couldn't eat and they made a special breakfast for me. (Sweet potato hash browns! I never would have thought of that...but now I'm going to make them whenever I can!) They were also very kind about the check-in process. We had a couple of things that kept us from being able to fit exactly with their time schedule an they worked around it beautifully.

Also, being right across the street from the Des Moines Art Center gave us something to take a quick peek at as well. Definitely go check it out, too.

This is definitely someplace we would like to return to again when we are in Des Moines. Thank you for a fabulous getaway, Lauren and Clark. We hope to see you again!

• Stayed April 2013
Omaha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I am a huge fan of B&B's and Lauren and Clark's beautiful home made my top ten list! So warm, so welcoming, a great family who clearly love opening their home to interesting and a wee bit wacky travelers. The rooms were lovely and clean. The house is surrounded by trees so waking to the birds singing was simply magical! The breakfast were just right...not "over the top" as I've experienced in some places. Dietary requests were honored with grace and goodness. Lauren's recommendations on dinner and reservation assistance made it so easy to just relax and enjoy a delightful weekend in Des Moines. We loved it!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

If we could pack Butler House up and move it to our home we would! We had a wonderful and relaxing stay with our 7 month old while there was a blizzard outside. Warm cozy fires, cup of coffee and tea with m&m's in the living room watching the snow fall was great. Lauren & Clark were so friendly and they wanted us to be as comfortable well fed and relaxed as possible. They were so accomodating with our baby. Our room was beautifully decorated imaculatly clean too. Our baby slept all night! Breakfast was delicious. It was such a treat to not rush out the door but to sit down to a wonderful homemade Iowa breakfast. Our baked French toast and baked pear were amazing. They even made blueberry pancakes for our baby! We also enjoyed learning the history of the house. We have stayed several times and will again hopefully very soon! This is certainly a treat! Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2013
Ames, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at the Butler House for our four year anniversary. The room was lovely and the house had a lot of character. However, the bathroom was not well kept. Granted the age of the house added to its character, but that did not excuse the peeling wallpaper and clunky fixtures. There was a extraordinarily large clock in our room, which was a nice touch. The breakfast was outstanding with really wonderful food. However, the very sweet couple that runs the house was a little too personal with us during breakfast. The parking was somewhat difficult. Otherwise, it was generally a very nice experience and we would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Butler House on Grand? Share your experiences!