“Classic Greasy Spoon Diner With Massive Tenderloins” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Hamburgers, Mexican, Fast Food
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Delivery
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Classic Greasy Spoon Diner With Massive Tenderloins”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

Seriously - who gave this place a bad review? I can't imagine what you were expecting. This place is a greasy spoon, cab-car diner, drive-in institution. One look at the place for the outside tells you all you need to know - so any disappointment after that is on the diner not the place. Inside you don't even get plates - just a piece of waxed paper onto which your massive tenderloin should be plunked steaming hot from the fryer. Add cheese sticks and fountain coke and shut up. Great for lunch. Check your pretense at the door - this place is for the hungry working class and those who appreciate what that means.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Des Moines
“A classic bite of Americana.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

This is what drive ins are supposed to be. Don't be fooled, it's not dirty at all, it's just old. My biggest complaint is that they close too early!

I love the loose meat sandwich, and one of these days I'll work up the nerve to get a Fat Man.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Des Moines
“Imagine a dirty truck stop in the 80s”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

I went a few year back. Parking lot with pot holes and cracks with grass growing out. Old wood picnic table that would splinter your butt. The menu was on a huge wood signed painted in the 80s with paint cracking off. It was like an old trailer park. I went inside. There were a row of bar stools (with ripped seats) on the opposite side of a cooking area. I looked around the place was filthy. The servers served with bare hands. I saw a lady on the opposite side of the counter smoking a cigarette. I thought to myself. What a weird place to take a break. Well she wasn't on break she was just smoking while she was working. She was pretty busy too because she didn't have much time to ash her cigarette. I wanted to leave but didn't want to alienate anyone else there so I ordered. Screw it. I figure I couldn't die from anything that was actually cooked. The smoking lady set a piece of wax paper in front of me. Basically you ate right off the counter. What a trip. Also instead of making my chili dog and bringing it to me she made the entire thing right in front of me. She tossed a bun on my wax paper and went from there. I thought I was in the Twilight Zone. It was like having an aunt that I never met make lunch for me. The cook was sweating over the grill. His t-shirt completely covered in sweat. He had sweat dripping off his hair. Nobody really said anything to you. I think all anyone said was "What can I get you." Anyway I ate. It was good and tasted like a chili dog. But I had to really concentrate on not looking at the clutter in the kitchen. The place tested my threshold in what I was willing to put up with cleanliness wise. I suggest if you want a good chili dog or that kind of food to hit Ted's Coney Island that is much cleaner and a better menu.

Maryland
“A fun place with great tenderloins and onion rings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

Yesterday, before heading to the airport home, I just had to stop by George the Chili King for a tenderloin sandwich. It was a beautiful day to sit at the picnic tables outside, and what fun to eat a yummy tenderloin and homemade onion rings. Good stuff! This place is nothing fancy, just good food.

Des Moines, Iowa
“Dirty, Filthy Business ...YUCK!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

What happened to the old Chili King? ....I Stopped in there for one of the famous "Hamburger Coney Style" sandwiches, Found the place was a filthy dirty pit, not only was the business a total filth pit but the help behind the counter was equally as filthy,.... food was being prepared by help using filthy bare hands with the worst looking longest dirty finger nails I have ever seen ....Needless to say I WONT BE BACK! .....WHAT A PIT!!!!!