“Nice Place to visit” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 23 Attractions in Des Moines
More attraction details
Owner description: A wide variety of animals are housed in natural settings at this 22-acre, relatively small zoo, dedicated to caring for the over 800 animals, educating the public about different species, and generating fun experiences for children, such as crawling through simulated prairie dog tunnels and feeding, petting and riding animals.
Piscataway, New Jersey
11 attraction reviews
“Nice Place to visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were in Des Moines for a week and had nothing to do my little girl insisted on seeing the local Zoo. I have to admit I was not too enthusiastic coming from New York City and growing up with the Bronx Zoo I was skeptical about taking her to this one. Upon getting to the zoo it is a curvy road with two parking lots both gravel. The first was already full so we parked in the second one. We made our way over to the entrance and paid the admission for the three of us $28 not a bad price. It was a nice zoo with a good variety of animals and even some animals that I thought would not be at such a small zoo like this one. Overall they covered all of the animals in a fun way for children. The zoo was laid out in a big circle and it was quite fun to see which animal you would encounter next. Also the discovery center inside is also a very beautiful and fun place to visit. The zoo is clean and the people are friendly and I wouldn't mind coming back to the Blank Park Zoo.

Visited June 2013

Newton, Iowa
26 attraction reviews
“Excellent Zoo for the price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband, 23 year old daughter and myself, came here on July 1. It was a gorgeous day and even though we had been here before, we noticed the entrance was totally different than before. The admission fee was the same, which was a great thing. Everyone likes different things about a zoo...my husband enjoys the Big Cats, my daughter likes the fish/aquarium/sea lion shows and I like the scenery/landscaping...none of us were truly disappointed. Yes, things have changed over the years, but we saw that as a good thing. If an attraction such as this, didn't change from time-to-time, eventually people would stop coming. I just hope that as the zoo completes construction areas, that the price remains the same! Its a great place for a day visit, where an adult can be a kid and where a kid can be themselves (or atleast a well behaved kid, that is!!) Yes, the snack areas were expensive, but one has to realize that could AND can be a setback for families on a budget. The gift shop is nice enough, but again, a bit pricey. But...overall...it is an excellent zoo for the admission price!!

Visited July 2013
Iowa
6 attraction reviews
“Blank Park Zoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I love taking my grandchildren to the zoo. This is a great small zoo and well taken care of. Riding the train around the grounds is a must do while there. A good assortment of different animals and that are well taken care of. A nice gift shop where you can find some different gifts for the kids. it's a very nice place to spend a day with the family.

Visited May 2013
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Zoo Brew - Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

A group of us attended Zoo Brew last Wednesday night and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. What a fun way to observe and learn about the animals, while socializing and walking around with a beer or wine in hand! The live music was also good, and it was nice not to have kids and strollers all over the place (the event for ages 21+ only). Couldn't have found a better way to spend a beautiful summer evening.

Visited July 2013
Newton, Iowa
36 attraction reviews
“Enjoyed all the improvements.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

It has been quite a few years since my wife and I had been to Blank Park and we enjoyed it back then. Had a rare opportunity that we had an unscheduled couple of days off together so we decided to go back with our 24 yr. old daughter, who had never been. Coming into the park, we noticed the changes right away and were impressed. It still is a very nice, well maintained zoo and although we noticed some of the animals were gone, there were new ones and new displays, as well as other under construction for future enjoyment. For the price ($11.00 adult) it is a good value and not so big that it is exhausting to get through. It took us about 5 hours, one hour alone was spent in the Discovery Center, and we watched the Seal Lion and Seal show. Like all these places, food and drinks are a bit steep, but you can leave the zoo and enjoy a lunch in the park if you pack one, or go somewhere else and eat and return later to finish the zoo if you chose.

Visited June 2013