“Surprised” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4940 Northeast 14th Street, Des Moines, IA 50316   |
Ranked #29 of 46 Hotels in Des Moines
“Surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was recently taking a road trip antiquing and stopped at this Motel 6..it was a very quick check in and I was pleasantly surprised with my room. I expected what I paid for, Cheap! But I found an updated comfortable room..I drove down the road to the Antique Mall, ate at the local Cracker Barrel and had some decent sleep for my next day travel...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Bathroom sink would take a long time to drain. Found sink plug missing and drain full of ??.
Appears housekeeping not in to cleaning sink as it was so obvious the problem and should have been fixed prior to renting the room. The free internet is a joke that motel 6 is now giving. You have to listen to advertisements before it allows you to sign on. I have stayed at these Motels for years and found the newer ones excellent but in the last year I have really seen many degrade to where I will not stay any longer. Just not worth the savings for what you have to put up with. Some of the maintenance done in the room was very sloppy for a motel to have.

Room Tip: Should consider spending a little more and get better accommodations elsewhere..
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Sturgis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Check in was fast and easy. I asked for a bottom floor room and that is what I received,
My room seemed clean and it did look like it had been redecorated recently. It smelled like it was douced with air freshner , that lingered all through the night..very unpleasent.
The door to my room had a gap under it and i found a few spiders and flys that must have made their way in.
The flat screen Tv worked fine and offered many channels. Internet worked fine too.
The shower was a little small area but water was plentiful and warm. No shampoo or hair dryer.
Towels were thin as was the toliet paper.
The air worked fine almost too cold.
The bed was uncomfortable and squeeked all night. Two flat pillows and a thin cover besides the sheets were on the bed.
Also if you like to make a cup of coffee in the morning there is no coffee maker in the room and they don't offer coffee until 6Am.
I heard dogs barking all night, Trains woke me me several times and people talking outside.
When I left in the morning, I noticed a man sleeping in his car next to mine.
I really wanted to like this hotel as we travel to New Mexico several times a year and this is a good stopping point for us. But Iam thinking I'll try one of the other hotels in the area.
This hotel just wasn't what I expected and I set my sights low for this one.
Happy Trails !!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
NW Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed at Motel 6 Des Moines North on August 11-12, 2012. Because of the Iowa State Fair, I was unable to get a room where I would normally stay at for that Saturday night. So after much searching, I decided to stay at this Motel 6, as it is advertised as having the NEW remodeled layout. After staying at several in other locations, I have been pleased with the new look, so decided to book here.

My check-in process was quick. However, I was shocked to find that the average cost for this Motel 6 was $85 per night! This is the most EXPENSIVE Motel 6 I have ever stayed in!

Upon checking into my room, I was greatly disappointed to see that the Motel 6 only PARTIALLY remodelled the rooms. The room did boast the new orange/brown scheme, with the fake wood linoleum floor, and the sink area was upgraded as well. However, the bed was not upgraded to the new platform bed, and the table/chair was not updated. Also, the tv/desk/cubby hole space area remained the same and was not upgraded. Therefore, it should not be listed as a newly remodeled hotel, but as a "refreshed" hotel.

The bed was ok, but HORRIBLE pillows! It is a good thing that I travel with my own pillows if needed. The airconditioner had a musty smell, but did cool the room. The TV had a poor selection of channels, obviously not cable TV, but some sort of POOR Satelite selection service.

Housekeeping NEED TO DO A BETTER JOB with sweeping/mopping this new floor. There was mud/dirt dried up on it, and was overlooked. Unacceptable!

The toilet handle did not work well. I had to hold the handle the entire time until the toilet had actually flushed.

The shower had a strong mildew smell. While I did not see any mold or mildew, the smell was disturbing (fabreeze that I brought along helped with this!).

During the night, there was a terrible problem with noise and drunk guests staying above me. Yelling, shouting, etc. continued late into the night/early morning. Even the police were called in.

Upon check out, I did complain about this, but the staff present would do nothing. (Another guest checking out at the same time was complaining about the very same thing!) Because of this, I did ask to speak to the manager. I gave them my contact information, and they passed it on to him. To my delight, the manager did call me, and we did have a pleasant talk. While I was not refunded the high cost of this Motel 6, the manager did send me a free night's voucher good at any Motel 6 due to the inconveniences

Overall, this is an OVERPRICED Motel 6 in a nice quiet neighborhood. It was unfortunate that there were drunks staying there the same time I was there, but Management did try to make this right.

Room Tip: If you have a room problem, and front desk staff is not helpful, INSIST on speaking to the manager...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Motel 6 should terminate this franchise! I stayed at this Motel 6 in late July 2012, on my way back from the east coast. I had stayed there one year earlier and it was fair. Since then, it's turned into flea bag. When I arrived, over 1/3 of the rooms were rented to migrant worker families. Their dirty laundry was hung up outside their rooms to dry. Some of the guests had set up "patios" in front of their rooms with lawn chairs and BBQs, where they held block parties at night. I called the desk at midnight to ask them to go quiet them down, but it took a thunderstorm to finally put an end to it.STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS DUMP. AND MOTEL 6--IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR CHAIN'S REPUTATION, CANCEL THIS FRANCHISE.

Room Tip: go anyplace else, but avoid this place.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Muscatine, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Motel 6 isn't your full service hotel, but if you just want a clean room to spend the night, this motel is worth staying at. The room was clean and everything in it was well maintained and the staff was friendly and courteous.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Richmond, VT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here because of the price, so didn't expect much, but was surprised at the poor service. When I checked in they charged me for my four night stay, but when we returned on our fourth night we were locked out of our room and were told we were supposed to check out that day and we needed to pay for that night. I told them they already charged me for the night, and after looking on the computer, the clerk agreed. We also came back one day to find they had only made one of the beds in the room and another day we found two bottles of cleaning chemicals in the room. If you are looking for nothing more than a bed to sleep in the. It's fine, but keep your receipt because if you stayers then one night they might try to rip you off.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Motel 6 - Des Moines North? Share your experiences!