“Great reasonable place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Motel 6 - Des Moines North
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4940 Northeast 14th Street, Des Moines, IA 50316   |
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in Des Moines
Decatur, Illinois
“Great reasonable place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

We had a wonderful stay during the Iowa State Fair at the Motel 6. Nice clean rooms with a wide selection of cable channels. 32" LCD TV was great for my kids to play their playstation games. Pool was very enjoyable

Room Tip: Request rooms on back side if you are sensitive to highway noise
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

I was passing through on a business trip, and looked for a hotel on a budget. I stayed at this motel 6, and was very satisfied. The room was very clean, the staff was helpful, the room was quiet and parking was abundant. I would absolutely stay again, if I ever came back to Iowa.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Kalamazoo, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

My husband and I were passing through Des Moines on a 3-week road trip to the west and stayed at the Des Moines North Motel 6. I was pleasantly surprised. This was the first Motel 6 I've ever stayed at, and since the reviews were positive, I wasn't a bit nervous about staying here. The motel has been remodeled, and we could smell fresh paint when walking in the room, and we liked the modern decor. One thing I would change is the regulation of the air conditioning. While it was a warm evening, I could not properly regulate the temp in our room, and I was cold most of the night. An extra blanket would have been nice, but there was not an extra one in the room. In addition, I found out in the morning that hairdryers ARE available upon request. That would have been nice to know. Also, no shampoo or conditioner available nor facial tissues. I guess that's what I get for using a budget motel. Overall though, we were very pleased with this motel and would definitely stay here again on a similar trip.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

Who Are We REALLY Funding????.. When you get your receipt after paying, READ YOUR RECEIPT!!!!!!!!!! I paid for two days in CASH, instead of me checking my receipt right away, which I have never had any problems like this in ANY hotel I have ever stayed at!!! On my receipt it was showing that I owed for one day, the same day I checked in. What kind of crap is that???!. By the time I noticed it, I was getting ready to pay for an additional day, which would of been my 3rd day staying there. When the female clerk bought it to my attention. I was suprised to see a balance as well. I shouldn't have any balance, I told her. I pay day by day, because I didn't know how long I was going to be in Des Moines, IA. If I had I not been jet lag, from driving 1,600 miles over the Memorial Day holiday, I would of caught that, or at least brought it to the owner/manager that checked me in the first day I showed to this getto motel. She brought it to my attention when I went to pay for another day, that their was a balance, it came to my thought both of them are trying to play me for a fool. They both know I came in & paid in full with cash. They say that I am not on their cameras they bought from Sam's Club. I asked her why did my key card work the past day or so. Is it because I did in fact "PAY".. I do see WHAT I SEE,
I will be dammed if I will be taken advantage of. Hell, if you want to stay here because it's cheap, sure, but this soooo called owner will try to dick you around if he seas the opportunity, especially if you are by yourself, & your vehicle has US MILITARY written all over it. I can see why he took it to heart. Well what the HELL is he doing here if that is how he feels then. The hotel is not all that up graded. It's in a crappy area. There are DENTS on the doors where someone or bodies have kicked them in, I notice AFTER I checked in. It is not a nice hotel period. I just stayed here to be closer to family instead of staying clear out in West Des Moines, which is where I checked in after this Horrible Experiance, & NOT AT A MOTEL 6 Either.. Oh YA, if they ask you do you want a RECEIPT? Read between the lines! I didn't think anything of it at first, & I did say I wanted a receipt, just by nature that what your suppose get after handing over especially CASH, but then I have never been asked that checking into a hotel before. Now maybe that does go on at other hotels. Last time I checked in the USA, you are intitled to a RECEIPT of Purchase. You should get a receipt when you buy a pack of gum!!!!

Room Tip: Go Somewhere Else..
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

There are several chain motels in the area and this is the best. Large refurbished rooms, free wifi and pleasant staff. Montana Mikes restaurant nearby is a useful bonus

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Lincoln Ne.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

If your looking for a place to sleep, not get a spa package, a restaurant, business center, weight room yadda, yadda, yadda then this is the place to stay. Room is B-A-S-I-C but comfortable and clean. We use this hotel for a drive from Nebraska to the Univ. of Minnesota to see our daughter. We use this place for one thing: to sleep! For $41, it's right off the Interstate. If you are a light sleeper, you may want to request a room away from I-35. Not that the noise level is bad, but you can hear the traffic somewhat. The rooms have been recently renovated so things are in pretty good shape for a budget hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

At $39, it is the same price as the Rodeway Inn next door, and the Rodeway has 'free breakfast.'
No complaints on the motel in general, clean, quiet, typical Motel 6. But the heat was not on in the room and an hour later it was still cold (no I didn't complain). I just put on an extra layer of clothes and then put my jacket over the blankets, and it stayed there all night.
Very little truck parking but that was not an issue this trip.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Motel 6 - Des Moines North? Share your experiences!