“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 45 hotels in Des Moines
Greene, Iowa
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was one of the nicest AmericInns I've stayed at. Very clean and comfortable. Staff was pleasant. Breakfast was an extended continental. Location was a bit far out since we weren't using the airport. But it was state fair time and we were trying to stay within a certain price range. Plus I had one of the Rewards vouchers to apply to the bill.

• Stayed August 2013
desmoinesairport_ia, General Manager at AmericInn Hotel & Suites Des Moines Airport, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for all the very kind words about the hotel. We all happy that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed the breakfast that we offer to the guest. We have a nice easy rewards program for our guest. Glad that you got to enjoy the Iowa State Fair hope to see you on your next trip to the Des Moines area.

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Eldridge, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We called & made a reservation thinking we were calling a Super 8 Motel! The price was kind of high,but the room we had was very nice.The bed was VERY comfy. The breakfast the next morning was very good. A good selection for breakfast both mornings we were there

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thanks for taking time to review our hotel.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

My fiance and I checked in, thankful we could still get a romm somewhere, as everything was booked. We were first put in a handicapped room, that smelled so badly like mildew. I took a shower, no water pressure and it smelled like sewer water. Stinky room all together. We went swimming in their pool, and there was sand on the bottom, assuming because of the construction. The water was lukewarm and the windows were open because of how hot the roon was.
Wre switched rooms, it didn't stink, and it was clean. But the lights flickered and out of nowhere the tv and lights went out.
Both myself and my finance work in customer service, so we are both patient, and critical. The wench at the desk was rude, didn't believe us, and came to our room to look. She said that shr can't void the room and that I would still be charged.
We left and got home at one in the morning. What a great vacation. Bad service, is what I'm most disappointed in.

• Stayed July 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel and giving us feedback about your stay. I would like to apologize for any problems that you had during your stay.
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for just one night and it was exactly what we needed and expected. Smaller queen room but clean, no odd smells and air conditioner worked well. Friendly staff at check in/out. Have no complaints.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking time to write a review about the hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This AmericInn was rebranded from a former Super 8. The upgrades are excellent, and Rachel and her staff could not be more helpful and friendly. We spent 10 consecutive nights here while visiting family in Des Moines. The hotel staff treated us like family, the room was comfortable, beds very very nice, and the place was spotlessly clean. The hot breakfast every morning was excellent. We were not bothered with noise, even on nights when they had a full house. This hotel offers excellent value for the price, with the added advantage of having a very nice staff.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackie thanks for all the kind words about the staff and the hotel. We enjoy seeing you guys each year. On the behalf of our entire team we looking forward to seeing you guys next year and thanks again for the kind words.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I'm a sound sleeper and could not sleep through noise. Room 203 was under a remodel, food was luke warm.

When I told the front desk server V. She acted unconcerned about our inconvenience. Its not like we were asking for a refund, but somethimg should of been offered. If you know you have noise issues don't place guests in that area.

Don't bother staying here. Overpriced for what was offered.

• Stayed June 2013
desmoinesairport_ia, General Manager at AmericInn Hotel & Suites Des Moines Airport, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review the hotel. I want to apologize for the inconvenience that you experenced here at the hotel. We strive to make sure that everyone has a good stay. I hope that we will be able to have the chance to meet your expectations again in the future.
Green Bay, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

4 night trip with my wife and 9 year old. We chose the hotel based on reviews here. I guess we should have heeded them a little better.

The Good: The room was large. Fridge. Microwave. Nice TV. Centrally located in Des Moines. Breakfast was decent.

The Bad: Being right next to the airport, we heard and felt planes taking off, starting as early as 6am. Room was "Quick Cleaned" - meaning when we moved the footstool or chair, the carpet was dirty undeneath. No elevator was a minor inconvienence. The pool area was small. They had just filled in the hot tub. Worse, the pool area was unbelievably humid inside. I sat down there so my son could swim and was literally sweating within a minute. The pool area was also not clean. My son found gum in the pool. Finally, the internet was inconsistent. The trick was to not connect to the Americinn Wi-fi, but to the Ecolodge wifi (this was the answer from the front desk).

The Ugly: The fridge made a terrible buzzing noise. We unplugged it to sleep and let the front desk know in the morning. The maintenance man asked if we were going back to our room yet that morning. Since we were heading out after breakfast, he went up to look a the fridge. He was outside having a cigarette before we even left. When we returned, the fridge was not working at all. We called the front and found out that his solution was to turn down the fridge so it wasn't running. Granted, it was quiet, but not working. We filled the fridge with ice as a temporary solution (we had food in there and didnt want it to spoil). The manager was supposed to talk to us the next day, but we never saw her. (We never saw here the 4 nights we were there.) Someone eventually must have fixed the fridge and there was a random discount on the room rate.

Ugly #2: A youth baseball team was staying at the hotel also. The team had a party in the parking lot, right under our window. The noise went on until 2:30am. Lots of noise from the halls every night. (No noise from other rooms though)

Ugly #3: Because at 2:30am we finally complained, when we checked out the next day, they did apologize and offered us a $25 credit. After we left, I examined the bill and the total was more than it should have been. I headed back inside, and ran into the front desk people leaving for the day. Rather than offer to take care of the problem, the response was "Print it up and call the manager." When I finally lost my temper, they did go back inside and correct it. I wasn't so angry that they accidently charged us an extra $25 rather than issue a $25 credit, but that they were content to leave me there angry.

Ugly #4: We never did see the manager the entire trip. We did, however, see the employees sitting outside often.

If you read my other reviews, you'll see that we enjoy most hotels we visit. I'm sure the manager will reply and try to put a positive spin on this one too. My answer to fellow travellers is: Don't risk your vacation on this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't take the room by the ice machine! You'll hear it all night long
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We are truely sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations, I want to truely apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced during your stay with us. Contructive feedback from our guests is helpful for us to provide great customer service.
Once again I am truly sorry about your stay. I hope that we will get the chance to meet your expecations in the future.

Been to AmericInn Hotel & Suites Des Moines Airport? Share your experiences!