“Fun for kids of all ages” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 23 Attractions in Des Moines
Type: Science Museums, Museums
Grass Valley, California
14 attraction reviews
“Fun for kids of all ages”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is a kids hands on Science center. My grandson got to "dig" for dinosaur bones, make a rocket and fly it and played for hours. The toddler room has a "fishing" area and a bubble table. We had a really great day, So many activities and not enough time!

Houston, Texas
81 attraction reviews
“Great for kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I took my 2-year old niece and 6-year old nephew to the SCI and we enjoyed the time. There are enough hands on activities to keep the kids engaged. They have a spot for kinders which is nice as the activity center upstairs is for 6+ year old kids. We went to the IMAX and saw the Dinosaur movie (2D) and I thought it was interesting enough to keep both kids active watchers. The movie went from animation to real people back to animation - good for adults and kids. We paid $41 for the three of us (included the movie) and spent 3 hours total time. We could have spent a bit more time if we had it.

When comparing to other Science centers, it is smaller. However, this isn't Houston or Chicago so the traffic isn't as heavy so I would say that for the size of the city, this is a good center.

Visited March 2013
“We had to drag our 6 year old away.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We had a great time. Sue the T-Rex was on display, and my 6 year old HAD to see "her". The star lab was amazing, and their learning center upstairs would have kept the kids entertained for hours on end. Big enough to have lots of fun things for the kids, but not so big that the kids get tired of walking. We are looking forward to our next visit.

Waverly
4 attraction reviews
“Not a top tier Science Center, but decent.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Having visited a Science Center in a neighboring state, I was pretty disappointed by my home state's center. The exhibits are good, if starting to look a little worse for wear, but staff is scarce. This would be a good half-day visit with kids 4-10 who are interested in science. Parking is free on the streets on weekends, so we took advantage of that and our museum pass to see the sites.

The youngest liked the "town" area on the ground floor for smaller kids which has only one entrance/exit to cut down on the chance of you loosing your rug rat. There are some fun areas to run around and an excellent pin sculpture.

The oldest realized she had been there before with school and got pretty bored pretty quickly. I was most impressed with the ball wall, the paper rocket launcher, and the egg drop upstairs.

Minneapolis
4 attraction reviews
“Don't Bother”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I love science museums but this one is very disappointing. Took my Grandson and felt that we wasted a couple of hours. It was very expensive and not impressive.

Visited September 2012