“Excellent Service! Excellent Food!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 501 restaurants in Des Moines
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Mankato, Minnesota, United States
“Excellent Service! Excellent Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Dined at Alba for the first time this past weekend and we were not disappointed. The service was excellent and the food was outstanding. In my opinion they did everything right. We started our meal off with the Prosciutto Ham & Jalapeno Fritters and Wild Mushroom Bruschetta which were both very unique and very delicious. I had the Bouillabaisse for dinner, based on the servers recommendations and she did not steer my wrong. The combination of fish and saffron were both light and satisfying. Overall, I would visit again and it's the perfect restaurant for either a special occasion or a relaxing night out with friends.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

81% Recommend
Dallas
“Good upscale neighborhood restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Alba is a nice, upscale neighborhood restaurant with a relaxed, fun vibe. I was there with business colleagues but we saw plenty of folks out on dates and groups of friends eating together.

Food is electic modern and, at least at our table, generally very good with a few slight misses here and there: great steak tartate served with way too oily crostini. Good pork loin that was just a bit overcooked, but stil a tasty dish.

Wednesdays are half price wines which is a great deal though if you order a red, you'll need to ask the to chill it for you as ours was served way to warm.

Service was pleasant and efficient.

Overall, worth a visit and likely a place I'll come back to and work my way through the rest of the menu.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Des Moines
“Experience tonight was excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Food and service tonight were excellent and half price wines on Wednesday was a very pleasant surprise. Comments about portions make me wonder if people are used to steakhouse and Machine Shed portions. My wife and I shared three appetizers and left stuffed and neither of us would be considered light eaters. We had trouble selecting from the very broad menu with interesting choices. We are both foodies and know wine. Their wine list has good breadth and prices offer something for everyone. Service was spot on as well. Our three selections arrived in sequence and very timely. At some other places when we order apps to split they all come out at once. It is a bit loud but not so bad one can't have a conversation. We will be back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“JUST NOT THAT SPECIAL.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

High priced, small quantities and the owner is rude. Good martinis and a different selection of food but over all not that special.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Iowa
“You must experience Alba!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I had heard many friends tell me how wonderful Alba Restaurant is, but two nights ago, I finally found out for myself. It was amazing! The atmosphere was inviting, the wait staff was genuinely friendly and helpful. The food was top of the line, with a unique menu that still had some options for the not so adventuresome.
We asked for onion rings for an appetizer even though they were only listed with one of the entrees. They gladly accommodated our request and they were the best onion rings we had ever had, real onions, beer battered to perfection! My husband's Pork Loin Duo was amazing and my my Australian Barramundi, a mild white fish, was some of the best seafood I have had, and I have had tried seafood all over the world. The side of green beans was very flavorful and we even took the leftover beans home. Just too good to waste.
Don't miss this one. Now that we have been there, we will go back many times, and it will be a place we take friends whether they are from in town or guests from out of town.
You won't be disappointed with Alba.
One other little perk, if you sit on the east side by the window, you can see the dome of the Iowa State Capitol, one of the most impressive in the nation!

• Visited September 2012