“Food is good, but mgmt is a miss” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 500 Restaurants in Des Moines
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“Food is good, but mgmt is a miss”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Have been there twice. food is good. But went for an advertised special. After we arrived and asked about the special, we learned pricing was different than was advertised. This has happened on two separate occassions.

Visited April 2012

“DEFINITELY TOP 5 IN DES MOINES!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

So, my girlfriend and I dined at Alba during restaurant week and we absolutely loved it. We are both foodies and we loved the whole experience. Our waiter was spot on!! Answered all our questions and made excellent suggestions. Sure, the portions were not huge or as large as most restaurants, but the food was so satisfying there was no need to overeat or have leftovers. Besides, I think as mid-westerners we are used to over sized meals. I had the heirloom tomatoe salad with homemade ricotta, the pork loin with chorizo(best thing I've eaten for a long time), and bread pudding(best I've ever had). All for $25 since it was restaurant week, but felt like it was worth even more, since it was so delicious!! I cannot wait to go back for more and I am shocked this place is rated so low on TP!! Definitely, top 5 in Des Moines.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fairfield, Iowa
“great food, tiny portions, noisy room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

After looking online at the menus of all participants in the recent Des Moines Restaurant Week, we thought Alba's looked like the most interesting. The three-course prix fixe dinner was delicious and beautifully presented, but stingy with the portion sizes. The appetizers were practically amuses bouches, and the entrees (imaginative salmon and barramundi recipes) were lunch-size portions. The peach clafouti for dessert was pretty amazing, though, and contained more calories than the rest of the dinner combined.
The room was simply too loud. If they're trying to attract a "younger" crowd with this ambience, it isn't working -- practically everyone there was over 50. Lastly, the server was inattentive to a fault: we had to flag him down simply to order coffee. Bottom line: We chose Alba primarily for the food and were pretty much delighted with it, except for the portion sizes. Service and ambience alone would rate two stars.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I'd rate this place as excellent except I didn't love the big open room, and our entrees were both rather over-salted. Service was good once it began (waited a few minutes) and the beet and haricot verts salads were exceptional. We did not try any of the burgers. The gnocchi and tagliatelle were very good although as mentioned, oddly salty. We had salted caramel creme brulee (yes, we ordered salt for dessert!) and it was lovely. Nice wine list! I'd go back.

Visited July 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
“Better eat before you go to Alba”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

While I generally think the serving sizes at most restaurants are too large, Alba is the extreme opposite - unbelievably small. The drinks are quite small too, and it was difficult to tell if there was any alcohol in them whatsoever despite the charge of $9.50 for a small specialty drink. The atmosphere and service were good, but otherwise Alba is so not worth the money!

• Visited June 2012