“No frills, good food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Des Moines, Iowa
“No frills, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

The restaurant is small and spartan, but the food is good. They don't mess around with their sushi. My friend and I ate at the bar and watched the preparation. It appeared the chefs enjoyed what they did. It was just super straightforward. We ordered nigiri and rolls and were pleased with both. The fish was fresh and the rice had a nice texture. The rolls were overly dressed with sauces either. It was a Thursday evening, so it wasn't very crowded, but since the restaurant is small I could see it getting crowded quickly. The crowd was mixed- a table that was obviously some sort of business dinner, two older couples, and young people. One thing I noticed was there wasn't the usual pretentiousness of some sushi places. I would definitely go back, but probably stay within the week than fight the weekend crowds.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Des Moines, Iowa
“Great Sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Mike does a great job. I eat here often and it is always fresh.

Iowa
“A great destination in Des Moines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

One of the best Sushi restaurants I have ever eaten in and I tend to visit Sushi restaurant in every city on my travels. The fish has always been fresh and on this visit the entire meal was perfect and the members of our group who have not visited loved it. Great meal and a great location in Des Moines.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Strasbourg
“Come to explore the mystery or a new cuisine; stay for a memorable evening.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

AMBIENCE: *****
This small dark, cozy ethnic cafe accommodates about two dozen dinersl It is to their credit that they restrict service to the number of diners whom they can feed and serve with excellence. My family of four arrived just ahead of the holiday week rush (7pm on 12/27) . If you are an impatient diner I suggest that you plan your visits to miss these crunches. During our stay, a medley of low volume '50's era standards (perfect background music for dining) was largely drowned out by the pleasant hum of happy diners.

FOOD: *****
My son who has spent his past six years in SF Bay, and who has become a committed sushi aficionado, declared the cuisine superb! Of course he can obtain more variety in SF Bay, but the choice of dishes and the perfection with which they were prepared, was acknowledged thorughout the meal.

My other son and I are just plain Iowans, who enjoy steak, chops, chicken, BLTs, grandma's homemade pies, undated cans of smoked herring, hamburgers, BBQ ribs, local produce (corn on the cob, fresh eggs, pears, apples, and honey), and all the other fruits of this fecund land (including venison, duck, and turtle soup). But tonight we discovered another indulgence in the salty, sweet, sour cuisine of Japan, which we washed down with generous servings of ice cold Sapporo, and topped off with a surprisingly user-friendly (potent yet sweet) bottle of sake. We will be back, even if it is just the two of us!

SERVICE: *

I hesitate to disparage any aspect of Miyabi on the basis of a single visist. But accuracy and completeness require that I mention some poor service, and suggested improvements.

/we arrived while several tables were open. Yet it took the waiters a couple minutes to notice us. We dealt with a succession of waiters and waitresses, most of whom were attentive, but businesslike in the sense that they performed their duties efficiently, yet without exchanging even the slightest pleasantries with their customers as is the practice in the Midwest. Possibly a language or cultural barrier prevented this. They did all appear to be ethnic Japanese. My only significant complaint occured at the end. I receved a bill for the table which included the $14.95 charge for the entre, Katsu Curry. The menu had provided that this entre would come " served with choice of soup and a house salad." At this point, we were all sated, and no one wished to eat another dish. But while paying my bill I thought it was not merely appropriate, but in fact thoughtful, to inform the waiter about the missing soup or salad. Perhaps if he was not so rushed, he might have given me more attention. As it was, he had to turn away from attending the onslaught of new customers in order to spare me enough time to inquire, "What do you want me to do?" I considered it arrogant for him to consider the situation to be my problem rather than his. Faced with a similar minor error in Grundy Flats, Iowa, Grandma's helper would have apologized and offered an extra slice of apple strudle as an accommodation. Not the young man at Miyabi. I could well have asked him to introduce me to the owner. Instead, I simply told him that we enjoyed his meal and that I simply hoped he would learn from the avoidable blemish on an otherwise near-perfect evening of dining. I gave him a 15% tip (waiters have tough jobs), but I will leave him a penny next time if he has not learned his lesson.

Total: ****

(we will be back)

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Park City, Utah
“Sushi in Des Moines? Yes!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

I've been to many sushi restaurants, and this was actually really tasty! Service was good - we were seated right away, and the food started arriving within 10 minutes. I totally forgot which rolls we ordered, but we had five (four would have been plenty!) that were a good mix of traditional and unique items, and all were excellent and fresh. We didn't order any other menu items aside from the sushi.

There was street parking around the restaurant, as well as a municipal lot right across the street that is free after 6pm.

• Visited September 2011