“Great Trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Decorah
Randy's Bluffton Store Campground
2619 W. Ravine Rd., Decorah, IA   |
Urbandale, Iowa
“Great Trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I absolutely LOVE Randy's. He was the most helpful man ever when my friends and I accidentally locked our keys in our car. He spend more time than expected to unlock the doors, which he did successfully. The grounds were beautiful and well kept and we had no issues with noise. I loved that we could go up to the restaraunt if we needed anything and everyone there was very accomodating to us. We will be returning this wknd for our 2nd trip and we can't wait!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Solo
Business
Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I haven't actually been there yet, but I am not looking forward to my experience. I called to ask about their predictions on the weather and the lady that answered the phone, Laura?, was completley out of line and rude. Pretty much told me that I was an idiot to call and ask someone what the weather would be like in Iowa. According to her, in a snotty voice, "I don't know you'll have to wait and see, I don't know what the weather will be like in a hour!" Are you serious lady, I'm pretty sure you have an idea. And if you don't, take some customer service classes and get a clue how to speak to people that are coming to your establishment to spend their money! She was of NO help and if it were up to me we wouldn't be going there!!!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This was my first trip to Randy's and I guarantee it will be my LAST. They don't enforce any quite time in the evening. There was some guy blowing a air horn all night one night then someone shooting off fireworks. Don't get me started on the obnoxiously loud music that I'm pretty sure the next county can hear. The bar area was full of drunks who wandered the campground and we had 2 guys breakout into a fight right in the middle of our campsite. The profanity was terrible. Plus you had to PAY to take a dang shower. It was the worse camping experience I've ever had and I've camped my entire life. I would not recommend this place to anyone. Especially if you have small kids. There is nothing good I can say about it other than the shade trees were nice and the bluffs were pretty.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

IF you camp here, do not camp near the bar in the electric sites...it was absolutely horrible. I have camped over a hundred times, and this was the worst! We had kids camping with us...the bar was so loud and so annoying, we couldn't sleep. After it closed down, people still hung around drinking and talking, music from cars...lots of profanity and lots of "raw" music. They didn't leave until the birds starting chirping...and then it was too late to try and sleep. Do yourself a favor...find a different campground where you can hear nature and not drunk people and loud music all night.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Waterloo, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

If you camp there don't stay in the electric sight go down below. Very noisy near a bar. We got no sleep and the profanity that they used was not something we wanted our kids to hear. It was the complaint of many of the families camping that weekend. Otherwise Randy supplies the canoes at reasonable rates and great service. We didn't care to have to arrange all that by going into the bar part should have separate building. Sounds like Randys has been there awhile could maybe update his shower bathroom facilities. Canoeing the river was great. LIke I said camp down bythe river away from the loud noises from the bar.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

The views are breath-taking, but the camp left something to be desired. The portajohns were always clean, but there were no trashcans available, so people tossed their beer cans on the ground. Expect loud country music blaring from someone's truck, hunting dogs running through your camp (my tent got peed on 3 times), and people yelling obscenities into the wee hours of the morning. The camp is gorgeous. Song birds woke us up each morning and we caught our first trout, but the atmosphere is too much like a kegger. This place will do in a pinch, but I plan to try the campsite on the other side of the river next time to see if it is more family-oriented.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

I have gone to Randy's for a good many years. (20) and in that time, I have always left with nothing but positive things to say. Randy is always around and willing to help you in any way he can. The shuttle services are just fine and on time. ONe year, Randy let us in a bit before the official opening of the camping season just to allow us to canoe/ camp.

The facilities are outdoor showers. Cement building with a tin roof... you pay 25 cents for it, but well worth iti in a camp ground.

The bar / restaurant is always hopping and they have a great 'gig' every year called Light up the Bluff where they enjoy live entertainment and an all around good time.

Be prepared toget there early if you want a good spot along ther river.

We often go upstream one day (kayaking) and then get out right at our tent on the river. The next day, we get up, put in at the campground and arrange for a pick up downstream however many brindges (hours) that you would like.

The river upstream is trickier with tight turns and class I rapids. Intermediate for sure. Although many party canoes often float on a nice sunny day in the summer. There are many places to stop along the way to either grill out or just stop to swim.

Would not rec. going when water is low. Lots of bottoming out.

You won't find a better place where you get good hometown hospitality coupled with great value and a skinny little price tag.

I would often come back to Iowa (from the East Coast) and make sure every year... on my birthday... we float down the Upper Iowa River.

One last thing... the view of the Chimney rocks bluffs are gorgeous and the scenery along the way is breathtaking at times with pines growing off the bluffs and many springs along the way including three that spill into one on the float from Florenceville.

Your tent on the river is directly under a large wall of a bluff... gorgeous! One fo the top 10 floats in Iowa for sure.

A favorite of mine for sure!

• Liked — Location and Randy's personal attention every time.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Randy's Bluffton Store Campground? Share your experiences!