“my worst hotel experience ever!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Davenport
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“my worst hotel experience ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

for starters i had to give them my credit card even though i had already prepaid! i was suspicious of that like they were rearing to charge me with additional things. The whole place was just eerie like a haunted hotel, long walk to get anywhere in that place. My key card got me into my room but wouldn't swipe me in through the outside entrances! So I spent too much time locked out of the "Hotel" which really pissed me off! It doesn't say Hotel anywhere on it it's called a conference center, now i know not to stay in one! It was run down, rusty, vacant, over all depressing…. When i got in the room the heater didn't work! Huge inconvenience getting a different room. The new room had heat but nothing else to brag about!!! No fridge, no microwave! Bed covers were a yucky color, TV very old no up to date flat screen, hairdryer was broken, bathtub didn't hold water, needed new mattresses. My lovely view was of a dumpster outside! The continental breakfast was horrid! 1 choice of coffee and some doughnuts. Roomservice never cleaned our room, and I had to complain to get clean towels to shower with. The Internet connection was lousy and I kept loosing service; and they never told me the password, I had to go walk around the building in the cold to find out what it was. Worst Hotel experience EVER. Did they do anything when I complained? Absolutely not!!! No one night free, absolutely nothing! They told me I didn't have to stay here!!! Can you believe that? I was very insulted!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
KristinMeyer, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
OwnIt12

Thank you for taking time to review your stay on Trip Advisor. I understand the ease of pre-paying for a hotel, however a major credit card or cash deposit (if you prefer) is required by almost all hotels. This practice is noted on our website and on all confirmation letters and e-mails. If this information was not placed as prominently on the website you used I do apologize. Because of the anonymity of the reviews I am not able to see the exact date you stayed but I do remember having the opportunity to speak with you during your stay. At the time we offered to compensate you with the equivalent Choice Privilege point value of two nights at any Choice Hotel. If you have since decided that this is not appropriate compensation for the inconveniences you encountered I would invite you to contact me at the hotel and I will be very happy to discuss the matter with you.

I would like to have an opportunity to discuss your comment regarding the breakfast selection, as we do not offer a continental breakfast at the hotel. Ours is a full hot buffet including, bacon, eggs, hash browns, sausage and many cold options as well as a full cooked to order menu.

If my offering to make a reservation for you at another hotel that would be more to your liking was perceived as me telling you that you didn't have to stay, I sincerely apologize. We realize that no matter how many pictures you see on a website, sometimes the hotel you choose does not match with the picture you have in your mind. We would never want a guest to feel they had to keep a reservation with us if they are not going to be happy.

Again, thank you for taking time to review your stay. I certainly welcome any additional comments you may wish to share with me.

Kristin Meyer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I just completed an extensive series of classes in Davenport that required me to stay 12 nights over the course of 6 weeks. Since the classes took place at this hotel, I decided that staying here would be the most convenient.

After reading a few negative reviews, I had some concerns.

Let me say right from the start, I was very pleasantly surprised. This hotel has a lot going for it. Now, it is not brand new, or recently remodeled, but…there are many reasons that this is a great hotel choice in the Quad Cities.

Each and every staff person that I dealt with was courteous, friendly and helpful. One evening, after arriving late, I realized I had forgotten my phone charger. One of the staff actually gave me her personal phone charger to use !

The rooms ( I stayed in 5 different ones) were all, very clean, spacious and nicely decorated.

Housekeeping did an extremely thorough job every day.

The pool area was clean.

The meals that I had at the restaurant were good.

Free WiFi

My classes were held in several of the meeting / ballroom areas. They were very nice rooms and would be perfect for any large event.

I simply did not have the negative experience that you may read about in some reviews.

Some of the carpet in the hallways could be updated, but I didn't see anything horrible. One night, I had an issue with the heater but was promptly move to a different room ( a large suite).

So to summarize, the hotel could use a bit of updating in the hallways but the rooms I had were all very nice, the staff was great, the food was good, an the rate was very good.

I travel to Davenport each year for the Bix (road race) and would definitely stay here again.

I say give it a try.

Jeff A

Room Tip: Some of the rooms can be a long walk from the pool / restaurant area. But the closer room are near...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
KristinMeyer, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear Jeff38094,

Thank you for taking time to share your review on Trip Advisor. I truly appreciate you giving us an opportunity to provide you with a memorable stay! I do hope that we will see you again this summer for the Bix road race!

Again, thank you for taking time to share your comments.

minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Most of the employees were very pleasant. But - that was about the only plus of this hotel. Very tired, very dirty. I attended a convention, and literally had trouble breathing in some rooms due to what I perceived to be moldy carpet and loads of dust. Even the rooms didn't get cleaned until late in the afternoon.

Had I known that the hotel was this seedy, I would have stayed at another.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
KristinMeyer, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Peggybundy13~

Thank you for taking time to review your stay. I am very glad that our staff was a positive part of your experience. While I hate to think that an odor in your room left you feeling that the room was not clean, we always want to learn and improve from the insight of our guests. Since the time of your stay we have had all in-room air-conditioning units professionally cleaned. Our rooms are also on a rotation for professional carpet cleaning in addition to being regularly shampooed by a member of our housekeeping staff. I do hope that you had an opportunity to address these issues with a member of our Guest Service team before you departed the hotel.

Again, thank you for taking time to bring this experience to our attention.

Kristin
Boaz, Alabama, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed here 10 nights while on business. We were without a way of getting around town and the staff was great helping us to the store and even to the Dr. The room we were in was clean and well supplied the whole time. Yes the place could use some new paint and carpet but the rate was exceptional. The free breakfast was very good with eggs, bacon, sausage and even French toast sticks. There are several fast food places within walking distance. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone who likes a good room for an excellent price and service.

Room Tip: Choose a non-smoking room.
Jeffery R~

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I'm very glad that your business trip brought you to us and that our staff and complimentary shuttle service played a memorable part in your stay.

Again, thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I hope we have the opportunity to have you stay with us again!

Kristin
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Where to begin. This hotel needs work. Starting with the room itself, the "double" beds had matresses that needed to be replaced, the TV which was old, only offered one channel: The Disney Channel, there was a huge brown stain on the ceiling in the bathroom and the grout needed cleaning. The wallpaper looked like my 10 year old granddaughter had applied it and the toilet was in need of repair. This hotel also does not offer any kind of free continential breakfast. I have stayed at places for less money that at least offered some type of free food in the morning as well as HD TV's and queen size beds. Would not stay there again.

Room Tip: This place is huge. Had to walk a long distance from our room to the lobby or restaurant.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jane S~

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. From the information in your review I was not able to find your reservation to see if you had and opportunity to address these challenges with a member of our guest service staff. If you did, I hope that they were able to resolve them to your satisfaction. If you did not, I invite you to contact me directly, as I never want anyone to leave our hotel not feeling satisfied with their stay.

We offer a full array of cable channels at the hotel and a full hot buffet breakfast Sunday through Thursday, including scrambled eggs, bacon, hash-browns, French toast sticks and biscuits and gravy. While our rooms do have double beds in some rooms, they are all topped with the luxurious quilted mattress pads that are a standard for Choice Hotels.

If these amenities were not offered in your room I sincerely apologize, and again, I invite you to contact me directly so that we can discuss your stay in greater detail.

Elmvale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Older hotel but very reasonable and had good breakfast which was free to us for our stay. Clean rooms and staff friendly and helpful. Great pool area which the kids in our party enjoyed. The tub needed some work and the water pipes squealed but very minor issues.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jan D~

Thank you for taking time to review on Trip Advisor. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. While we are happy to be able to boast a great pool area and fresh hot buffet breakfast, our clean rooms and friendly staff are what we what we are most proud of.

I hope we will have any opportunity to see you again soon.

Bentonsport, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I only used this hotel because I was desperate and they had a room available on a short notice. It was a room. That's really all I cared about at the time. They took my government rate, which some hotels will not. The room was clean, but showing it's age. No microwave or refrigerator. There was a suitcase stand under the clothes rack. The ironing board hanging behind the bathroom door kept the bathroom door from opening all the way, and it was narrow to begin with. No counter space for toiletries in the bathroom. But it was clean and quiet and did not smell of smoke. The bed was comfortable. The wifi and TV worked, which is more than the place I had stayed at the night before. The breakfast was good. It looks like it had been added on to in the past without too much worry about the view outside the windows. So if you go to a hotel for the view, go somewhere else. If you are looking for a comfortable bed, quiet room, clean, and good breakfast at a reasonable price, this one works.

BnBsAreGreat~

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor. I must agree with you, B&Bs are great; but I'm glad you also enjoyed your stay with us :) .

I'm glad your stay was comfortable and that our friendly staff was part of a good experience. We are happy to offer a military/government rate as often as possible. We even offer special government discounts on our suites and business class rooms, which both include refrigerators and microwaves.

Again, thank you for taking time to write a review and I hope you will stay with us soon.

Kristin Meyer

Been to Clarion Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!