“nice, but tired” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Davenport
Bentonsport, Iowa
“nice, but tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I only used this hotel because I was desperate and they had a room available on a short notice. It was a room. That's really all I cared about at the time. They took my government rate, which some hotels will not. The room was clean, but showing it's age. No microwave or refrigerator. There was a suitcase stand under the clothes rack. The ironing board hanging behind the bathroom door kept the bathroom door from opening all the way, and it was narrow to begin with. No counter space for toiletries in the bathroom. But it was clean and quiet and did not smell of smoke. The bed was comfortable. The wifi and TV worked, which is more than the place I had stayed at the night before. The breakfast was good. It looks like it had been added on to in the past without too much worry about the view outside the windows. So if you go to a hotel for the view, go somewhere else. If you are looking for a comfortable bed, quiet room, clean, and good breakfast at a reasonable price, this one works.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
KristinMeyer, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
BnBsAreGreat~

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor. I must agree with you, B&Bs are great; but I'm glad you also enjoyed your stay with us :) .

I'm glad your stay was comfortable and that our friendly staff was part of a good experience. We are happy to offer a military/government rate as often as possible. We even offer special government discounts on our suites and business class rooms, which both include refrigerators and microwaves.

Again, thank you for taking time to write a review and I hope you will stay with us soon.

Kristin Meyer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have written well over 100 reviews on tripadvisor. And this is the first time I've ever given a hotel a 1-star rating. It was that bad. Where do I start?

Our room was OK in size. It was on the second floor and very oddly had a view of...a wall. Not sure how that design came to be, but when you open the curtains, you find yourself looking out two doors balcony doors to a closed-in hallway. That was weird, but I could overlook it. What I couldn't overlook (or block out) was the family next door whose kids were literally screaming and jumping around - at 11:30pm. This was no muffled noise either, it sounded like a party a Chuck E Cheese. So, I called the front desk to see if we could switch rooms. The person I spoke to immediately said that the hotel was completely booked and there was nothing they could do. I found this odd. The hotel in fact seemed very quiet otherwise and not fully booked at all. So after checking online, I called back and mentioned that the hotel was obviously not full since they were still selling rooms on Expedia, Travelocity, etc. I was then told that they were checking in a "large group" and couldn't help us until after that. So at that point, we went down to the lobby (of course, the "large group" was a party of about 4) and asked in person for a better room. We were eventually given one but this experience, especially the blatant lying, put a very bad taste in my mouth.

So we walk to the room, in a different wing of the hotel and what do we pass, a huge dead bug in the hallway. Roach? Beetle? Not sure, but I was worried about cleanliness for the entire stay (thankfully only 1 night). The new room was also OK in size, very standard, this time overlooking the pool and arcade area - and thankfully quiet. Bathroom amenities were quite poor quality. And everything just looked very old.

There is a pool area with a hot tub as well. However, the chlorine was completely overpowering. I don't normally mind chlorine, but this was way too much. There were also a number of tables set up in this area - it appeared there had been a party there earlier. However, even the next morning, there were still crumbs on the tables. Again, it just didn't feel clean in any way.

I will say that the guy I spoke to at the front desk before arriving was friendly and helpful with recommending a restaurant (Azteca restaurant - right up the street; open late - at least for the area- and serving good quality Mexican food and margaritas at amazing prices). I believe he was the same one who checked us in and ultimately helped us get a new room and was very pleasant throughout.

Bottom line, though - I would recommend staying somewhere else if your travels take you through Davenport. This is in no way a 3-star hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Pet friendly, reasonable price. Indoor corridors. No windows. One wall is a slider that opens to a hallway. Couldn't turn AC less warm or even off. Bathroom tiny with not much counter space to put toiletries. No bench for luggage 'tho there was a rack. They brought in a little fridge and micro, but had tomputnthem on the floor. Fridge had no door for the freezer. Good size desk. Fine for one night stopover.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Independence, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel recently. The hotel is in desperate need of an update. It is dingy, and there was a dirty bath towel left in my bathroom upon arrival. I would not choose this hotel again.

Pikeville, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Excellent location with many nearby restaurants, nearby mall, and nearby theater. We enjoyed the pool (a little strong on chlorine), the deluxe breakfast bar, and arcade area, there is a lounge, exercise room, and many public sitting areas to be utilized also if desired.

Springfield, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Clarion Hotel in Devanport, Iowa this weekend for a basketball tournament. We are from Illinois where smoking is not allowed in public places. I booked my hotel over a month ago. Not even realizing that smoking is allowed in public places in Iowa and was never asked what kind of room we wanted. When I went to check in, was instructed that I was booked for a smoking room. My husband and I neither smoke. I am a radiation therapy nurse and know what smoking can do to people let along second hand smoke. I was given the reassurance they would do there best to get me a smoke free room the next night. The next morning I was instructed that there was no smoke free rooms available. My friend checked in after me, and they had trouble finding her reservation; however, was given a smoke free room. I was very unhappy with thier careless attitudes for thier customers needs. The room had chunks of dry wall missing. The floor constantly was moist when walking on it. Second, there was always nasty trash bags full of trash in the hallway near the room we were staying in. This is where the housekeepers put the trash prior to taking it out. I think there may have been one time the hallway was clear. The automatic doors to the area we were had broken and was not available. We had to walk around to get in and out. Lastly, there was a security guard in the pool area and a small child (probably 2 years old) was face down in kiddi pool. Thanks to my husband, the little girl was lifted out of the water clothes, shoes and cell phone on. Parents were no where to be found for a few moments. Secrutiy guard never knew the incident even occured because he was watching the big pool area and hot tub due to over crowded areas. You can absolutely tell that the hotel was old and they herd people in and out without caring if there customers are satisfied or not. Will never stay at this hotel or one of these hotels ever again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
KristinMeyer, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear ERT Nurse,

Thank you for taking time to post a review on Trip Advisor. Iowa does not allow smoking in public spaces such as the swimming pool area or the restaurant and lounge. Iowa law does permit smoking in guests rooms, as they are enclosed spaces for private rental. That said, we never want anyone to be placed in a room that does not suit their preference. On weekends that we are sold out, as the time during your stay was, we do offer to accommodate a request for a king size room or a room with two beds by offering a smoking room. I am glad that we were able to refund your stay for the weekend.

Our gratitude certainly goes out to your husband for his quick actions. While we do have a security guard on duty in the pool area so that order in a very busy area can be maintained, we do not have a life guard on duty. We always hope that parents will heed the" No Life Guard On Duty" signs.

Again, thank you for taking time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor.
Middletown, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel is old and needs some TLC. Other than that I had a good experience. Room was clean with a comfortable mattress. Bathroom was small but clean. One of the better breakfast that you get with a Choice Hotel stay. Very nice hot buffet. I ate in the bar. Good food, reasonable prices. Staff was very good. I would go back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Rich 7357,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. I'm glad you enjoyed the full hot buffet breakfast. We are very proud to have a full service restaurant and lounge on site.
We are working on renovations through out the hotel and I hope you will see a difference on your next visit.

Our staff is very pleased to offer exceptional "Mid West" hospitality, and we look forward to serving you again.

Been to Clarion Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!