“Ahh...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Davenport
Aurora, IL
“Ahh...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I were in town visiting our son who is attending St. Ambrose University for a family weekend. While our youngest son stayed on campus with his brother, we booked into Hotel Blackhawk, and didn't want to check out!

From the doorman to the front desk, to the impeccable room, it was perfect.

The decor is attractive and clean. The beds were extremely comfortable and room service superb.

We will go back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Shoes29,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Blackhawk last weekend while you were in town for Family Weekend at St. Ambrose University. Also, thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience on TripAdvisor. We are honored that you enjoyed your time spent with us, and we truly appreciate your compliments about our staff, guest rooms, and cleanliness.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Tim Heim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Waverly
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because we had a voucher that was expiring at the end of the month. Therefore, I checked out a lot more of the hotel than usual since it was included in the package. Everything was great, except for Breakfast.

First, the hotel is beautifully restored. Parking is free, but only for guests of the hotel or restaurant and they were checking names as you pulled in. I overheard someone say valet parking was free, but we didn't take advantage of it. Staff at the doors was welcoming and helpful.

Check in was a little slow, but part of that was due to using a voucher which messed a bit with the computer system. The key cards are RF-ID which means you don't slide them anywhere, but just hold them up to the sensors. We were given cards for most of the items included with the package, but had to call the desk for the one we were missing. They did suggest that because of the dancers, we would want to make reservations for the included game of bowling. From previous reviews I knew this might be an issue, but we weren't here for the bowling, so it wouldn't have ruined the trip. The bowling alley in the basement was able to squeeze us in before dinner, but were completely booked from 7 PM to closing.

The room is very nice and the temperature controls worked great. We checked out the pool, but didn't bother because there were lots of kids having a good time in the water. I heard over drinks later that evening that the hotel was sold out due to the dance competition next door. We went for a walk, went bowling, had a great dinner at the Brew Pub a couple of blocks away, and slept soundly. A credit for breakfast was included with our package and we chose to use that in the attached cafe instead of the pretty expensive breakfast buffet.

To say the cafe was overwhelmed would be a huge understatement. The line went out the back door the whole time we were there (Did I mention the dancers?). The breakfast skillet was served on wax paper with cold pre-cooked meat. The eggs were pre-cooked hockey-puck shaped and also barely warm. It was a 25 minute wait for self-serve coffee and the staff could not keep the coffee pots full. Part of my order was forgotten and when I mentioned it as I picked up the rest, I was told it was on its way. Ten minutes later, I went back and it was admitted that someone had made a mistake. Meanwhile my breakfast sandwich had gone from lukewarm to cold.

Everything else was great, but the cafe was understaffed for the event and I would worry about the quality of the hot food even in quieter times.

Room Tip: City rooms overlook the parking lot, so don't choose them if you are looking for a view. On the...
Dear mbirgen-
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Blackhawk on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us last weekend. Thank you for your kind words about our bell staff. We are fortunate that we’re able to provide complimentary parking for Bix Bistro and hotel guests. It is great to hear that you were able to get in a quick game of bowling in Blackhawk Bowl & Martini Lounge prior to your dinner in Bix Bistro!
I apologize that you were overwhelmed by some of the large groups that we had in the hotel last weekend with the Dance Competition going on next door at the Adler Theater. It is disappointing to hear about the breakfast items and service that you experienced in Beignet Done That. We learned a lot from last weekend, and please know that we have procedures that we are putting in place to help avoid the issues that you and other guests experienced in our cafe last weekend.
Again, thank you for taking the time to write us a review. It is only through candid feedback like yours that we are able to correct any issues that affect our guest’s experience. We hope that you will return to Hotel Blackhawk soon, and we're confident that you will not be disappointed.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if there is anything that I can do for you.

East Moline
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I had a belated Valentine weekend at the Hotel Blackhawk and every part of our experience was perfect! Our room was decorated beautifully and it was exceptionally clean and comfortable and we had a beautiful view! We started our evening with great cocktails at the bar located in the lobby and then continued our evening by having dinner at Bix Bistro. Both the service and the food were excellent! We ordered off the Valentine Menu and each dish was fantastic, I was even treated to a rose by the hostess! We ended our evening by visiting the Blackhawk Bowl and Martini Bar and had a great time! The service throughout our visit was first-rate!! Next time we're going to use some of the Spa services as well! Thanks so much to everyone at the Hotel Blackhawk for making our Valentine weekend a real treat!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Rebecca B,
Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Blackhawk on TripAdvisor. We are honored that you chose to stay with us. We're thrilled that we were able to assist in making your Valentine's Day celebration special this year. Your positive feedback regarding your experience with your guest room, Bix Bistro, and Blackhawk Bowl & Martini Lounge are greatly appreciated, and I will be sure to share your comments with all of our team members. We truly appreciate your business, and we hope to see you back again very soon. Keep in mind, we do have Spa Packages available, if you'd like to set up your appointment with Spa Luce prior to your next arrival! Please do not hesitate to contact us if you'd like additional information.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Cedar Rapids, IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I don't normally write reviews for hotels, but I must let everyone know how wonderful the entire staff at the Hotel Blackhawk are. From the moment we arrived we were treated as if we were the only guests at the hotel. We were there to celebrate a belated Valentines Day with a gift certificate from our son. Our room was beautifully decorated and very spacious. We had a great massage at Spa Luce by Jen and Kara, who I would recommend to anyone coming to stay at the hotel or in the area. Our dinner that nite at the Bix was outstanding. To top off the weekend we made reservations for the Sunday Brunch. This was the icing on the cake, the food was incredible, I recommend making reservations as soon as you arrive because it books up very fast. This hotel is a very beautiful asset to the Davenport area and we will definitely be back.

Dear Janeen W,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Blackhawk. We appreciate you taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is important to us. Your compliments about our staff are extremely kind, and I will be sure to pass them along to each department. I'm thrilled that you were able to relax and rejuvenate in Spa Luce. At Hotel Blackhawk, we strive to provide a unique and memorable experience for each of our guests. It sounds like we were successful in doing so for you and we could not be happier.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

st. louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was our second stay at the hotel. And the difference in simple management issues from a year ago is alarming. We spent two nights at the Blackhawk, the night before and the night of Valentine's Day. We are members of their iPrefer program which includes great add ons to the reservation, if you can actually receive them. The iPrefer bonuses right now are a bottle of wine and a $25 gift certificate to the spa in the hotel. Someone brought us a bottle of wine after we checked in but we had no wine glasses in our room. We never received the $25 spa gift certificate until I could identify exactly where it was on the iPrefer website the next day after check in. But the most incredible lack of service came after we had spent the morning and afternoon of Valentine's Day out sightseeing only to return to our room after 3:00 pm to find the bed still unmade, the trash full and no clean towels. I called the front desk to ask about getting our room made up and was told by Samantha that they were too busy with Valentine's Day and then asked me if I had spent the night because often they don't get to rooms if guests stay more than one night. I asked if someone was available to make our bed to which she responded probably not but someone could bring us some towels. The ice machine on the sixth floor is broken and it appears to have been broken for a long time. The only ice available is from room service and they were unbelievably rude after I was transferred there from the front desk. They would not believe me that the ice machine was broken. Somewhere in the mix of all of this Roxanne from housekeeping came to our door with a bucket of ice and told me she had just started her shift. When I explained what happened she bent over backwards to get our room in shipshape. Her boss Jacob also assisted her and apologized profusely for the mix up. He offered us drinks in the lobby bar which we accepted while our room was getting ready. When we got to the bar it was understaffed and teaming with people waiting for drinks. A young man finally assisted me but the gin my husband wanted was almost empty and he told me he did not have the key to get another bottle. So he poured a half a shot of gin in the glass and told me that was all I would get until someone let him into the supply room. Our room was finally clean a little before 6:00 pm with extra touches Roxanne had gone to so much trouble to do. Two tulips on the bed and some chocolates. Thank you Roxanne! The Blackhawk needs another ten of you!

Breakfast of Biscuits and Gravy at the Bix the last day was stone cold. And when we checked out the breakfast credit we were supposed to receive with our room was not credited to the bill. For either morning we ate there. Mike at the front desk told me if you eat breakfast after 10:00 am it is automatically billed as lunch. Even though on the website it clearly states breakfast is served until 10:30 am. Mike is another wonderful Blackhawk employee. He worked with someone in the back to credit my account for the breakfast charges but then I noticed we had been billed for 3 Red Bulls from the in room mini-bar that we never drank. All in all it took over a half an hour to check out and I am still not sure I was billed the correct amount.

Also the elevators are very frustrating. My sister was staying on the floor above me in a room booked to me and I could not go to the 7th floor with the key I had for my room on the 6th floor. During the time we were waiting to have our room cleaned we tried and utterly failed to connect with my sister waiting for me one floor above, Jacob again in his extremely helpful way went and got my sister and brought her to me so we could go to her room that was in my name. Could you not at least give me a key to access all of the rooms I am paying for?

This is a beautiful hotel. But the blemishes really tarnish the sparkle. It's such a mix of good and awful it's hards to even give it a rating. But my measure of how well a hotel is run is by how it performs at peak times. And this Valentine's Day they failed miserably.

Room Tip: Call the hotel to get the best room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear takemeout15,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Blackhawk on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you coming back as a repeat guest. I am disappointed to hear of your experience. Our iPrefer program offers wonderful amenities, although if proper glassware and convenience for the guest is not available, it defeats the purpose of receiving special treatment. I apologize for the miscommunication with this, and I thank you for pointing it out.

Also, thank you for bringing your issues with Housekeeping, Front Desk, and Bix Bistro to our attention. It is only through candid feedback like yours that we are able to identify areas in the hotel that are aiding in the creation of a negative experience for our guests. Please know that I have spoken with each department individually based on your information, and the issues that you experienced are being taken care of.

It is unfortunate that you had to experience these issues, but again, we truly appreciate you taking the time to let us know about them. Some of the things that you mentioned are completely unacceptable. At Hotel Blackhawk, we strive to create a positive and unique experience for each of our guests. I am sorry that we were not successful in providing that experience for you. I hope that you will consider giving us another chance to prove how important your business is to us.

Thank you for pointing out the positive aspects of your stay as well. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the team members that you mentioned. I agree; it does not matter how beautiful a hotel is if our guests are unhappy. I cannot thank you enough for speaking up about your concerns. I can assure you that each issue mentioned will be taken care of immediately.

I will also be reaching out to you personally to extend my apologies and do what I can to make this right.

Thank you again for your review.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

One of my best friends had her wedding here. I was standing up in the wedding so I had to be there for 3 days and was worried about the expense since the hotel is so nice. Granted we had a group rate, but it was really affordable and a great experience. The staff is wonderful and the special amenities make you (almost) feel like you're staying in downtown Chicago. I have to also say, they have these delicious bacon, egg and cheese biscuits that you can get any pretty much any time of day from room service...and they're amazing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Katherine C,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Blackhawk. We appreciate you taking the time to write us a review on TripAdvisor. Your comparison to Downtown Chicago hotels is quite flattering. With our renovation, we wanted to create a property unlike any in the area, and we thank you for your kind words. I agree; the breakfast sandwiches are delicious! I will be sure to pass along your compliments to our team members.

Thank you again for your review.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sherrard, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a one night get-away - an early Valentine's day treat. We booked through Sniqueaway at a $60.00 discount. We had a marvelous time! The rooms had extra special amenities including well stocked snacks and drinks that you purchase on the honor system. There is a TV IN the bathroom mirror and luxurious robes in the closet. The shower is huge with glass doors. The rooms are super clean and very hip and wonderfully comfortable. The lobby, bar, coffee shop and bistro are all welcoming and inviting places to just hang out. The staff knows how to make a great martini. We had a lot of fun bowling downstairs and the exercise room was clean and well equipped for our Saturday morning workout. We ate at Antonellas-a restaurant about 1/2 block away for dinner and had excellent Italian fare. Did I mention the piping hot beignets....to die for... with the Starbucks coffee in the coffee shop Saturday morning? We will go back again and again since we only live 20 miles away. It was a great treat! Hope Sniqueaway offers discounts at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear dananddonna3,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Blackhawk. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are honored that you and your husband chose to stay with us for your early Valentine's Day get-away. I agree, the Martini's in Bix Bistro are wonderful and I'm thrilled that you were able to enjoy all of the amenities we have to offer. I'm glad that you were able to find one of our great deals through Sniqueaway! At Hotel Blackhawk we strive to provide a unique and satisfying experience for each of our guests, and it is wonderful to know that we were able to do that you for you and your husband. I will be sure to share all of your kind words with our team members.

We look forward to seeing you back at Hotel Blackhawk very soon.

Tim Heim

Been to Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!