“What a surprise!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Davenport
Quad Cities
“What a surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We booked a room for the Home For The Holidays special which included bowling (they have a martini bowling alley in basement) and a wonderful discount on dinner and room. The front desk was very inviting; they even upgraded us as a surprise. Our room was gorgeous - big but cozy, and a jacuzzi with a TV in the mirror. Our meal at the Hotel Bix Bistro was another surprise; Tim was a great waiter and we trusted him as he guided us through the menu. Nothing disappointed. By the way, the bowling alley is very cool.....blue lights and great martinis.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear travelling-du0,

Thank you so much for your review, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Blackhawk on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to hear such positive feedback. Our Home for the Holidays Package was a hit this year, and we will be sure to offer it again next year. Hopefully you will come back and visit us again. We also have similar packages available throughout the year. At Hotel Blackhawk, we do our best to create an exceptional experience for each of our guests. It sounds like we have achieved this for you during your time spent with us, and we could not be happier. I will be sure to pass along your compliments about our staff.

Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you back at the hotel very soon.
Happy Holidays!

Tim Heim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Made the mistake of trying to book a room using a LivingSocial voucher I purchased. Nowhere in the fine print does the voucher state that it can only be redeemed on select weekends, up to the discretion of the customer service rep on the phone. City view rooms were available, but because I said I had a voucher I was initially told there were "no Living Social rooms available". After going back & forth with cust. service I ended up getting my reservation booked, only to find out that they booked me in a room overlooking the metal roof. No city view with this room. Ended up packing my things up and went downstairs to ask for a new room or I was just going to go back home. Luckily a very helpful woman at the front desk found me a room that was well worth the voucher grief.
Tried getting dinner at the restaurant downstairs only to find out it was by reservation only. I'm sure this is stated somewhere on their website, but I was unaware that I needed to book dinner days in advance, so I ended up just going to Red Lobster.
Had a voucher to play an hours worth of bowling downstairs at the hotel's bowling alley, but that probably needed a reservation too, so I didn't bother.
The refrigerators in the room as chock full of liquor, but you're better off just bringing your own since a small shot bottle costs upwards of $7. Even the snacks were outrageously priced.
Overall I wasn't too thrilled with the hotel. The whole point of going away for a weekend is to relax and avoid having to make calculated decisions like how far in advance should Brunch be reserved, what time, when you plan on bowling, etc. I like to be spur of the moment when taking time to myself, and I have been to plenty of hotels where you can truly wing it, and still manage to access all the amenities they boast of having. The property is beautiful, the front desk was helpful; but Hotel Blackhawk definitely has room for improvement potential. My suggestion to them: If you offer a Groupon or LivingSocial deal, please include in the fine print that it is up to the discretion of customer service if you wish to redeem your voucher on a weekend.

Room Tip: If booking a stay here, make sure you also book dinner reservations and brunch reservations. Also, w...
Dear Tahiti_Heathie,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Blackhawk. Also, thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I'd like to apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced with your Living Social voucher. I agree, the notification regarding limited dates should be visible on the voucher. Please know that because of your review, we are now taking the time to look into this. If it weren't for your review, this issue may have gone unnoticed for a while. Again, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Superior service, friendliness and professionalism are critical elements of our business. I'm glad that these elements shined through at the front desk during your stay. Due to the high occupancy in Bix Bistro, we are forced to require reservations, in order to make sure that our guests receive the proper attention and service that they deserve while dining. Please keep in mind that Bix Bistro offers 24 Hour Room Service to accommodate our guests as well.

Again, thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. It is only through candid observations that we are able to become aware of things that our guests are experiencing, in order to fix them and be able to continue to provide exceptional experiences.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hotel Blackhawk.
Thanks again and Happy Holidays.

Pikesville, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed at Hotel Blackhawk December 1st - 3rd, 2012. I requested early check in and was told that would not be a problem (I had a afternoon appointment in Davenport and needed to change). Arrived as planned and was told the room would not be available for another hour; returned in a hour and the front clerk said she had available rooms but would have to check and see if she could release them. Supervisor came to the desk and said no, those rooms could not be released. This made me feel as if I was not "good enough" for one of those rooms. I am a executive in the service industry, that should have been made right by the front line supervisor, that conversation should not have occurred in front of a customer.
Bed was not made during entire stay even upon request.
I returned home on Monday evening and realized as I unpacked that I left my $180.00 sonicare toothbrush and a bottle of body-wash at the hotel. I contacted them immediately and was transferred three times to the wrong number, then told I would received a phone call back. It's Saturday, still no call. I emailed the front desk manager and the housekeeping manager asking for their assistance, again, it's Saturday, still no response.
I have plans to return to Davenport every 4-6 weeks and would have preferred to stay at the Blackhawk, it's beautiful. However, I would rather stay somewhere less beautiful, less expensive then to stay somewhere that clearly does not respond nor care for their customers.
Don't stay there....just as in life, beauty on the outside does not always mean there is beauty on the inside.
I hope the leaders of Blackhawk will see this, respond, and make changes in their Service and Service Recovery. I hope the leaders of Blackhawk will reach out and make this situation right.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear dancin418,

It was a pleasure speaking with you on telephone yesterday afternoon. Thank you for taking the time to take my call. I apologize that we played telephone tag for a few days.

As I mentioned, I was embarrassed to hear of your experience at the hotel. Superior service, friendliness and professionalism are critical elements of our business. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department managers and I have already spoken with each of them directly. I am confident that the appropriate measures will be taken to correct these issues in the future.

As promised, I will be sending your sonicare toothbrush to you with in the next week or so. The item has been ordered and your folio has been updated as discussed. I look forward to speaking with you at the first of year to make your next reservation with us.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of further assistance. I look forward to meeting you very soon!

Warm Regards,

Tim Heim

P.S. - I enjoyed our conversation regarding your cruise experiences. I hope to book a
Mediterranean cruise in the future. This is something that has been on my bucket list.
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I found a great deal on a stay at the hotel so we booked it for a weekend getaway. It is an absolutely beautiful hotel. The marble floors, the fireplace, the furnishings and the staff... everything was very nice. We highly recommend the Sunday Jazz Brunch. They only have two seatings at 10:30 and 12:30 so be sure to make reservations in advance. The buffet is not limited to hotel guests so the reservations fill up quickly.

Parking is free and convenient. The hot tub and pool were clean and enjoyable. There are lots of restaurants in the area. We had Happy Hour at The Phoenix and the food was very good. You can walk to the Rhythm City casino and the other casinos are just a short drive away.

Our only complaint would be the bowling. We bowled Saturday afternoon and it was difficult to find someone to check us in and get our shoes. The attendant was less than enthusiastic. We had numerous issues with our lane and had to track someone down to move us to a different one.

Other than this small complaint, I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Mikki B,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Blackhawk for your recent weekend getaway, and thank you for taking the time to write about your experience on TripAdvisor. We were delighted to hear your positive feedback about the hotel. We're glad that you got the chance to enjoy our award winning Sunday Jazz Brunch in Bix Bistro. I'll be sure to share your wonderful comments with our staff. Also, thank you for mentioning your experience in Blackhawk Bowl & Martini Lounge. I would like to apologize for the service that you encountered while in the bowling alley. Please know that I have addressed your concerns with the manager of Blackhawk Bowl & Martini Lounge, and I am confident that these issues will be corrected. Again, please accept our sincere apologies.

Thank you for your feedback, it is truly appreciated.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Elmhurst, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Blackhawk and attended a wedding there. Parking was convenient. Check-in was efficient. Our room exceeded our expectations in size and amenities and was decorated stunningly. The Blackhawk has the feel of a grand historical hotel and has been restored with obvious attention to all detail. It is a treasure and we are considering returning for New Years Eve!

Dear Julie B,
Thank you so much for your outstanding review, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Blackhawk on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to hear such positive feedback. At Hotel Blackhawk, we do our best to create an exceptional experience for each of our guests. It sounds like we have achieved this for you and your husband during your time spent with us, and we could not be happier. Our New Years Eve celebration in the Gold Room will be one to remember, and we would be honored to have you and your husband in attendance.

Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a Thanksgiving road trip from Colo to Illinois.
We stayed at the Blackhawk after a 12 hour drive. We were transporting an album collection and 16 houseplants to our friends who had moved to Champaign, Ill.
When we made our reservations we told Kristina (front desk) about our plants and albums, she assured us they would help us if the weather was too cold to leave them in our covered truck. We arrived at 5:00 P.M. and with temps in the 30's Greg the bellman was waiting with three luggage carts and we put all of the plants in a locked storage closet.
We went to our eighth floor room and dropped the luggage and cooler off.
The room had a wonderful view of the Mississippi river and my wife especially liked the fridge which had a freezer to put our cold packs in for our cooler.
We freshened up and headed down to the Bix Bistro Restaurant.
The Bix was great for munchies, hors d'oeuvres, and two complimentary cocktails. They also were having half price on bottles of wine so we bought a nice pinot noir and saved it for after our try at riverboat gambling which was two blocks away.
After a most comfortable nights rest we got up and prepared for our last 3 hour drive.
When we got downsairs the morning bellman (Edmond) had our plants ready on the carts and our valet pickup was warming up.
We really can't say enough about the service of this place, from Kristina at check in to Nick and Ashley at the Bix and Greg and Edmond at the bell stand.
If only we had more time to stay at this fine Hotel, we definitely would have spent some time at the martini lounge/bowling lanes. It's worth a look, classy and retro.
I would highly recommend this hotel for anybody travelling to or through Davenport.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear noodle28,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Blackhawk as one of the stops on your road trip. We are honored that out of all the places you could have stayed, you chose us! We are beyond delighted to hear your positive feedback. We pride ourselves on service and exceeding our guest’s expectations here at Hotel Blackhawk, and I’m so glad that we were successful in exceeding yours. Thank you for your wonderful comments. I will be sure to share them with our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Blackhawk next time you are in the Davenport area.

Champaign, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The lobby is beautiful and the staff is very friendly. The rooms are very small and are missing a desk. I have never been in a hotel that did not have a desk or a table or someplace besides the bed or toilet to do work or use a laptop. The other problem with the room size is to close the drapes one has to climb over the bed. The rest of the room and the bathroom were very nice. As I stated before The lobby is beautiful but it was impossible for us to enjoy because of the loudness of a wedding reception. The check in process was a little slow, they only have two check-in desks and both had four people in line each. All of the previous problems were minor but the parking is a major issue. When we checked in the lot was completely full because of the Festival of Trees and a wedding reception and we had to park 2 blocks away on the street. After 10pm I was able to move our car to the hotel lot. Without the parking issue I would have given the Blackhawk a very good rating. I will recommend this hotel to my friends but I will tell them to avoid it during the Festival of Trees.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear spackler43,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Blackhawk for your recent stay in Davenport, and thank you for your review.
We do apologize for your wait at check-in. We take pride in the fact that we want to make each guest feel welcomed, and we do so by taking the time to explain all of the amenities that we have to offer.Thank you for your compliment about our staff.
The lobby is a wonderful place to relax, and I hope that you got a chance to enjoy it on Sunday while the Jazz band was playing during brunch.
Next time you stay with us, please be sure to mention that you'd prefer a sleeping room with a desk, and we will do all that we can to accommodate your request. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your room overall.
Since Hotel Blackhawk is located in a downtown area, parking is limited. We are fortunate to have a parking lot for our guests to self-park in at no charge. Our bellmen monitor the lot, and reserve our parking spaces for hotel and restaurant guests, although these limited spaces do fill quickly. I'm glad that you were able to move your vehicle back to our parking lot later that night, and I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you again for choosing us and for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Blackhawk very soon.

Tim Heim

Been to Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!