“renovation jewel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
St. Louis MO
“renovation jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Just stayed at the Blackhawk in downtown Davenport Iowa. I went to the University Of Iowa football game and then went back to Davenport to visit friends. They advised of a newly (2010) renovated hotel downtown. I would pick a "old" time hotel over a chain anyday. What a pleasant surprise. The Blackhawk is a gem to be sure. Rooms are large and beautiful with great views. Downtown Davenport did not seem all that exciting but the town itself is not that big. If you go, stop off at the beignet shop off the lobby and get some coffee and sit in the splendid lobby and people watch. Take a look at the ceiling-wow! Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to stay too long but my overall stay in this architectural gem was great and I highly recommend it. It's nice to see this type of renovation going on throughout the country

Room Tip: not sure-I just took what they gave me
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Garrison G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Allow me to thank you for your glowing review of the Hotel Blackhawk, we are delighted you enjoyed your experience and appreciate the great feedback. I am very pleased to hear you were able to take the time to appreciate the Italian Renaissance design along with modern Art Deco architecture which we were able to restore back to its original condition which dates back to 1915. Perhaps on your next visit you will be able to stay with us a little longer, I would be happy to give you a tour personally if you wish and walk you through the history of this historical "gem". I admire your appreciation of the vast renovations that are occuring through out the country, and share in your enthusiasm. Please feel free to contact me personally and allow me the opportunity to make your next trip an unforgettable Hotel Blackhawk experience.
Garrison Gardner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

This hotel is hands down the best value in the area. I come to the area a few times a year for work and have stayed at many of the other big chain hotels. They just can't compare!
The hotel was recently renovated and I found my room to be super clean, extremely large and filled with all the amenities I could ever need.
Pro's: Comfortable bed and sheets, nice clean-smelling soaps/shampoo that would be nice for both men and women, silk drapes and shower curtain, tv in the bathroom mirror, reasonably priced mini bar items (water or snacks $2). Nice coffee shop downstairs and although I didn't eat at the bar/restaurant, it looked really nice.
Con's: the hotel is right next to the train tracks so I heard train horns at night and a low hum of really long cargo trains passing by at slow speeds. There are also rooms with adjoining doors and I had one. The other person hadn't locked their door, so I opened the door and could have walked right into their room! This is not the hotel's fault, but it could have been potentially unsafe. I quickly bolted the lock on my door!
Be sure to sign up for the FREE I Prefer membership when booking if you don't already have one because I got a free upgrade to a corner room and a free bottle of wine!

Room Tip: See about getting room that does not face the train tracks due to noise at night.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear skmack,
Thank you! I really enjoyed reading the wonderful review of your recent stay. I appreciate your thorough description of The Hotel Blackhawk as well as the in room amenities we offer. I have found from past experiences that you are correct in regards to the trains in this area. Although usually quiet from time to time you do indeed hear a low hum from the slow moving trains and yes even an occasional horn can be heard which if you are not use to can be quite apparant. Fortunately as you correctly stated, a higher floor or a room facing the opposing direction is a good choice if you are not use to them and usually mutes out the trains completely. We are certainly glad it did not detract you from having a very enjoyable experience. We welcome all guest with open arms of course, but the fact you are now an I-prefer member gives us a great opportunity to enhance your hotel experience. We definitely look forward to your next stay with us, Thank you again.
Topeka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

This hotel is incredible and when booked through a service, such as Expedia, is the best value I have ever come across, and I travel a fair amount, from coast to coast. This hotel was recently renovated, and the rooms are extraordinary. Some have full kitchens, and all have top notce amenities. Great workout facility. Excellent restaurant on site. Even a martini bar/bowling alley in the lowest level. Free parking. Close to a lot of other fun things to do and bars/restaurants.

Outstanding in evey way.

Good afternoon HuskerNed,
We love it when a guest gets the opportunity to enjoy so much of the Hotel Blackhawk, and experience a number of our ammenities! For a seasoned traveler like yourself to give such a wonderful review really means alot to us. I will definitely share your review with my staff. Thank you again.
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Blackhawk in June and just again this weekend. As always, the place was jumping with wedding receptions, etc. Lots of energy in a totally renovated historic hotel. The craftmanship of the renovation is outstanding and our 2nd stay was great. The staff is always very nice and the restaurant has great food but the service has been slow both times we have stayed at the hotel. We've never been in a hurry, we've always been dining with friends of ours that meet us there for dinner. If we had a booked schedule, it would be a problem. The problem that I see is that they need to find a better way of serving their customers in the area of dining. The coffee shop "Beignet, Done That" is known for their beignets, but they didn't have any this morning. It was 10:30 am. The Restaurant didn't start their breakfast brunch until 10:30 and they were "full" with reservations. Food service is very important to customers. This is the only thing I would adjust. I would still go back. It's a great place.

Room Tip: ask for the upper floors facing the Mississippi River
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Garrison G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, October 30, 2011
Dear MWTropicaltravelers,
I hope the two of you are having a wonderful day whether you are on one of your many adventures or simply relaxing at home. The next time you are in the area and looking for a great experience please look me up personally. I would appreciate the chance to extend our hospitality to the both of you, And I am confident we can make up for past delays. I have been able to forward your great review to the Food and Beverage department and they are eager to show you the great strides they have made to guarantee timely service.We look forward to your next stay, and thank you again for the wonderful review.
Northwestern New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

The Blackhawk in Davenport is a wonderful find. This historic hotel has been renovated beautifully with marble, polished wood, crystal chandeliers, leather and upholstery. The lobby and bar area are spectacular in a very elegant, traditional but modern and comfortable way.

My group spent our first entire evening in the bar. Drinks were good, full dinner menu and bar menu available and appealing, and service great (great bartender). Ambience also excellent because the surroundings are so attractive. The signature drink is the martini, of which there were a nice variety, and a half price martini special a couple of nights during the week.

We also ate in the restaurant, where the food was good but the service slow.

Rooms were nicely redone in a modern style reminiscent of art deco. I had a wall of windows overlooking the Mississippi River - very nice view. Bed, pillows, towels and toiletries of very good quality. Shower and separate tub very nice. Altogether very comfortable and luxurious - a very pleasant environment to come back to at the end of the work day.

Exercise room is large and well equipped, with two bikes, two treadmills, and 2-3 ellipticals, free weights and one weight universal. Pool on a separate floor also very nice. And a bowling alley in the lower level, where younger members of our party enjoyed spending evening time.

Getting breakfast was a bit of an issue. The coffee shop off the lobby doesn't open until 6:30 (too late for those on East Coast time, exercisers and people with early meetings). And service there was extremely slow a couple of mornings, with only one server and a long line waiting. Room service is the best bet - leave an order form (which is not provided in your room, but you can ask for at the front desk) and breakfast arrives. Fresh fruit plate was fresh and delicious. Room service was efficient and courteous.

I have always enjoyed staying in downtown Davenport for accessibility to the local scene, but at the Blackhawk, I felt like just staying there every evening!

Room Tip: Ask for the room service order form at the front desk and order breakfast from room service - coffee...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Garrison G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear EmptyNestedMom,
We appreciate the great review of your recent stay at The Hotel Blackhawk in September. We love accommodating our business travelers and it sounds like you had a wonderful stay. The issues in our restraunt outlets have been addressed and to ensure great service both outlets are now fully staffed at all times. We have also added room service order forms in each room. I thank you, Your thoughts and suggestions as well as those like it have allowed us to put our finger on the pulse of alot of customer service opportunities . We hope to see you back as soon as possible whether it be for business or pleasure, Perhaps to sample the half off martini's!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

The Hotel Blackhawk is a total Luxury Hotel. I’m a person that leads a more simple style of life, so it’s a bit ‘much’ for me. This was a 2 week business stay.

Valet Parking, very professional and business like staff, and “high class” all around. Restaurant, coffee shop, bar, spa, pool, fitness center, business center, bowling alleys, and airport shuttle. This is a non-smoking hotel, but if the need arises, there are rooms with outside balconies.

Flat screen TV’s in work area and bedroom, and a TV built into the bathroom mirror. Internet connections are fast. Beds are comfortable and rooms are immaculate, and quiet.

My only disappointment was that I had to be at the Airport at 5:30am, and the shuttle doesn’t start running until 6:00am.

Dozens of excellent restaurants, shops, and ATM’s are within walking distance. This Hotel would be ideal for Vacation, Social Function, Romantic Getaways, etc.

Dear Jim Davis,
Thank you for you very thorough and informative review concerning your recent stay. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. We strive to offer the best hospitality to all of our guest and make them feel welcome in any and all situations. I wish you all the best in your upcoming travels and hope to see you again very soon.
Elgin, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Booked executive suite 2 mos, in advance.Confirmed two days prior to stay in writing, Bumped from suite after waiting six hrs.for them to clean room.Horrible tiny room then. Bathroom walls replaced with shutters-yes, shutters no privacy. Horrible treatment from mgmt. No other hotels available. Too worried about being high and mighty than worried about the guest . Offered me free lunch,ordered burger, waitress went home and never told anyone. I was waiting for burger over an hour and they had no clue why I was waiting! Unacceptable. If this happened to me it must be happening to others. .Charged $1,500 to my debit cards for 99.00 room. Why did they do this? They never would explain. They had card # I gave them to book room, $900. then swiped my other card on check in for another $600. Didn't know until I checked my bank accounts prior to checking out. They wouldn't admit they were wrong !! Told them I would sue them and they took care of it immediately. So sad. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression. They too worried about their appearance and talking down to you. Beware!! Wolves in sheeps clothing!! Can you believe a hotel gets away with this?

Room Tip: Don't stay in corner room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Garrison G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Dear Kathy N,
Let me first apologize for the terrible experience you have described throughout the course of your stay. There are no excuses that I have to offer for the unfortunate series of events that occured during your time with us. I can confirm that the level of customer service you recieved during these situations is far below our standards of hospitality. Guest are our number one priority and we take your feedback extremely seriously. You are absolutely correct, you do not get a second chance to make a first impression, although In your case we would hope to rectify this treatment and experience of your past stay if given the opportunity. I would be more than happy to extend to you and your family a return stay on us at your convenience. I would like to speak to you directly about all of these problems, I assure you we can deliver a positive unforgettable experience to all of you. Please contact me, my direct line is 563-484-5911.
Garrison Gardner

Been to Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!