“Very nice and clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Very nice and clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stopped on our way home from Glacier NP. Was pleased at the room size, the comfortable bed and the cleanliness of the hotel and the room. If need ice ask at the desk, machine is in the kitchen, they will get you some.
There was not much around but a couple of truck stops but if you walk down to 24th Street and go right, past the truck stop, past the truck repair is a mini strip mall with the Salty Dog bar and grill. The music was loud but sandwiches decent.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Indianapolis, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

No Frills, A little dated, but after 12 hours driving it was a welcome sight. Good location near gas services and the Horseshoe Casino. Our room was clean, but the comforter was stained in a few places. We just removed it an set it aside. The bathroom doesn't have a powered exhaust, just the typical grated vent. It gets steamy in there quick. The water temperature got hot fast, but it fluctuated wildly through the course of a shower....be ready to move away from either the burning or the freezing intermissions.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Okay place to stay. We had a smoking room which smelled so badly of stale smoke. Needs Febreze Fabric Spray to quell the smell. Breakfast sketchy. Eggs, sausage and biscuits, waffles, cereal. No extra meat. One working ice machine in the whole building available to guests. And it was in the front--a long walk from the back of the building. Room was clean. TV worked. Had a fridge and microwave which was nice. Close to everything pertinent to our travels. Would stay again.

Room Tip: No elevators.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

There were so nice in letting me have my dogs and made sure I was close to a door to easily get them in and out. It was also very fast to check in and out. Closr to shopping and easy access to the Omaha Zoo.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Granite City, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Hotel was clean and the rooms were comfortable. I would certainly stay again and would recommend it. Beds were comfy and the pool area was clean. Breakfast was fair for free. Updates made this hotel worth staying at. Enjoy your stay.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed here for several nights while visiting family. It was in a convenient location close to casinos, shopping, I29, and downtown. The rooms could use a renovation. The pool looked nice although we didn't use it. Housekeeping was great and tried hard. I saw a review about the fans on the air conditioners running constantly. This drowned out all noise and I actually prefer mine to run.

I would stay here again when traveling through. I did notice some people around that I thought looked suspect and I was unsure about the parked cars that never moved.

Stayed August 2014
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I recently wrote a review of the Best Western in Altoona,Iowa. To preface this new review, I will include some information about it first. The staff at Altoona acted as though the only priority they had was to get the customers payment and then get them to vacate the room as early as possible. They were not enthusiastic about accommodating the customer's request.

I went down the road to Council Bluffs, Iowa and checked into the Best Western Inn of the Bluffs. This is not an upgraded Best Western Plus or Premier, just an ordinary Best Western. Upon check-in I asked for a 12'o'clock check-out. The desk clerk responded with "Would you like a 1pm check-out?" I said "No, 12 o'clock is good enough." I later asked for directions to Harrah's Casino so I could go over there for dinner. He asked me if I would like a free ride over in the hotel shuttle. I told him no as I would prefer to have my own car. Later I asked where the ice machine is. He asked me if I would like for him to go to the kitchen and get me a bucket of ice. "It would save me a walk down the hallway to the ice machine.'

I never saw such service in a motel. The only time I experienced anything like this was when I stayed at Fairmont properties in Canada which is 5 stars. The desk clerk greeted me upon arrival with a warm smile and greeting. He made me feel like a valued customer and that they were glad I was there.

The room was every bit as good as any other and better than the Best Western Plus in Altoona. It was larger and clean and everything worked as it should. I had no complaints. The maids made it their business NOT to disturb me as I had the "Quiet Please" sign on my door. The difference between these two hotels was that the management at Best Western Altoona were not concerned about customer satisfaction. They only wanted you out so they can start cleaning the rooms. When I was asking them why a late check-out was such a problem they told me they had a full house that night and wanted to make up the rooms. This was at 11:45am. At that point an old lady came out of an office just to the side of the front desk and gave me a nasty look of absolute disapproval and then disappeared back into her office. I have to assume she was part of management. I mention this to illustrate the attitude this hotel had towards it's guests. It appeared to me to be one of contempt. This can only be laid at the feet of management. Altoona had inept management and the staff had an attitude.

The Best Western in Council Bluffs had expert management and the front desk staff couldn't possibly have been more professional and welcoming. They provided exemplary customer service which results in customer satisfaction and brand loyalty. They hired the right people for the job, including housekeeping and they were properly trained. Everything about this hotel was just the opposite of what I experienced at the Best Western in Altoona. The difference was like day and night. Altoona's management was doing what in business language is called "Destroying the Brand" and Council Bluffs management was building "Brand Loyalty."

There it is. Two hotels under the same brand with two completely opposite experiences. One made me feel unwelcome and unwanted and the other made me feel like a valued customer and they appreciated my business.

A tale of two cities.

Room Tip: I should hope all rooms would be satisfactory. If not, then I'm sure the front desk will make it...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN Crossroads of the Bluffs? Share your experiences!