“Great accommodations. Casino disappointing.” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One Harrah's Blvd., Council Bluffs, IA 51501   |
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Council Bluffs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ohio
“Great accommodations. Casino disappointing.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

In Omaha to visit first Grandson. Stayed in Harrah's wonderful hotel. Staff were very accommodating. Most comfortable bed at a Hotel in a long time!! No room safe tho. Casino small, but we went down the road to Horseshoe and found it perfect. Dealors very nice. Our visit to Council Bluffs/Omaha was very nice. Perry

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
MD/DE State Line
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I booked a stay here since there were no rooms being offered at it's sister casino The Horseshoe.

The clerk who checked me in at the front desk was very friendly and helpful, noted that I was a Platinum card holder and welcomed me to a delicious meal at the 360. A lot of this property is very dated, starting from the elevators, which were a blast from the 80s. The corridors are in need of updating, sure they are still maintained well but they do show age. The rooms also quite dated, CRT TVs. I had a 2 queen room, one of the beds was downright lumpy while the other was suitable. Fairly interesting of note was the refrigerator was unplugged with a notice that said we have unplugged this because of the environment, but was an obvious left wing slant that did not offend me, but raised an eyebrow or two. I've come to relax, not listen to politics. Housekeeping was fairly attentive, my requests for additional linens and such being answered promptly.

The casino is decent, the dealers are very friendly without being intrusive, which seems to be a Harrahs signature that is fading a bit in other properties.

F&B decent. Great bartender at the 360, I think his name was Keith. He engaged me in conversation and also was nice enough to give me a 3rd bottle of beer on the house. The diner on the 1st floor is a 24H, with some decent eats.

It appears to me that Harrahs has upgraded the Horseshoe nearby, I would hope they take the initiative to at least bring this proprety up to some kind of modern standard. It is not falling apart by any means, but it certainly looks very dated. I would stay again for this place being clean and some cheap gambling, but as soon as the Horseshoe starts offering rooms again, you can bet that is the 1st option on my list if I were to be back in this area. I would not recommend for a 1st time stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Cambridge, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

My wife, son and I were in the area to see my cousin compete at the Special Olympic in Lincoln about an hour away. We arrived to the hotel around 8:00 pm after watching the opening ceremonies on July 18 and stayed 3 nights. Our reservation was in order and we were able to get to our room in no time. Our room was average in size, with a nice view of the Omaha skyline. There were soda pops complimentary in our fridge. The room was clean and comfortable. All of us had slept well all three nights we stayed. The hotel is attached to a riverboat casino which we enjoyed spending time in. The casino is smaller than the other two in the area and had less to offer than what I was expecting. One dealer in particular was not very friendly and a little cocky. The rest of the dealers were very nice and accomodating. We ate at two restraunts in the hotel. On our second day we ate at the buffet. It was about 9.00 and worth it. I had a pasta dish that was made from fresh ingredients made to order right in front of you and was delicious. Other items were tasty as well. During the night a thunderstorm rolled through and my son and I enjoyed watching it move in over the Omaha skyline and towards us. On the last night that we stayed my son wanted a pizza so we got one from another restaraunt in the hotel and it was of good quality. My wife and I went to the cafe where I had the turkey dinner and my wife the roast beef dinner both were large in portion and very good, prices were in the 8.00 range. We also stopped by there on our way back to the room from the casino each night and picked up some ice cream and other goodies. We dealt with 4 different staff at the cafe during our stay and they were all friendly and GREAT. We had a couple of questions for the front desk and they were very helpful too. There is a night club on the main floor and a steakhouse on the top floor which we did not par-take in. There is no swimming pool but there are 2 golf courses adjacent. I would reccomend this property but would also consider the other two casino's also since they were more Vegas like which is what my wife and I like but those casinos have hotel properties that are not part of the casino like Harrah's is. Check out Harrahs.com and locate Council Bluffs for more descriptions.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

Me and my wife are both seven star players, When we arrived at the airport our car was not there, we had to call the casino and wait about 30 minutes for a surburban to arrive.

When we checked in our room was very small, Every wher else we have traveled we get a suite. The bath tub was so small it appeared to have been made for a mobile home.

The whole three days of gambling , never did a casino host stop by to ask if we needed anything or even to welcome us to the casino.

Other than these problems everything else was great, all black jack dealers and the pit bosses were very nice, great beverage servers and everything was very clean. as I said before this was a great place to visit for gold , platnum, or even diamond players but to be seven stars ( two times ) me and my wife, we expected a little more.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
western Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

Husband & i stayed again last night at Harrahs. We stay at hotel at least twice a month. When we checked in yesterday afternoon, went in the bathroom & there was a clump of dried dirt behind the bathroom door. I kind of scooted it with my shoe & then it spread out more. Also, there was a coin on the floor at bottom of bed, around 12 inches or so from foot of bed. Did the housekeeper vacuum, did she clean the bathroom floor? There were two housekeepers close by, i checked with one next door to our room, she said it wasn't her room, she got the housekeeper who was across the hall. I asked her to please come in & clean up the bathroom floor, she didn't sound too happy. Also, would like to know why don't they give a new clean white rug in bathroom after each guest has left. That rug last night was not the cleaniest. I think they should discontinue the rug, think of the germs, bacteria on that rug from one guest to another.

We are very pleased with the hotel & employees at the check in desk are the greatest. A very few times we've been disappointed in cleanliness of room but very seldom. We sure do like the refurnishing of the rooms, just super pleasant now & beds are so soft. You know we'll be back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

Travelling from Michigan to Utah, we decided to stay here for one night along the way. The location was just a bit off the beaten track but still fairly easy to get to. The lobby was nice , quiet and clean and check in was fast. The rooms were well appointed and spotless and there was no noise problems. Played some slots in the casino and they were tighter than tight so after losing a few bucks, we went to eat in the buffet. The food was average, the service was okay but overall, I would just eat at the small cafe in the casino. All in all, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Omaha
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

The hotel was okay. Not as nice as I would have expected for the price. The staff seemed indifferent. The 360 Steakhouse was the worst experience I have ever had at a restaurant. The manager couldn't even be bothered to talk to us about an overdone steak. I had not taken one bite out of it, I was still charged and our server seemed unable to do anything about it other than to say she couldn't do anything about it without her manager's approval, which she didn't have. Completely unacceptable.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Harrah's Council Bluffs? Share your experiences!