“Nice Weekend for Pet and Pet Owner” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One Harrah's Blvd., Council Bluffs, IA 51501   |
Ranked #11 of 25 hotels in Council Bluffs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kansas City, Missouri
“Nice Weekend for Pet and Pet Owner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Two of us and a small 4 month old puppy stayed in one of the rooms on the 3rd floor which is the floor where visitors with pets stay. I believe they call it a pet stay room. Since my pup was young I took my crate which she slept in and I left her in it when we went to eat. I expected the floor and room to smell of dog, but it did not....it was fresh, clean, and spotless. You would have never known it was a pet room. The staff were great. They put us in a room buy the elevator, since I was still training my pup and made about a zillion trips up and down for potty training. She got her own welcome treat bag and little place mat for eating. My dog was made to feel welcome by staff in hallways and lobbies. Lots of green space to walk dog. My only concern about this hotel was slow, poor room service- forgot cream and silverware. Great place to take your pet. We had a good time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ryan M, Manager at Harrah's Council Bluffs, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words! We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and appreciate that you took the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor. We know that pets are very much a part of our families, and we believe that they should be treated as such. While we do designate certain areas of our hotel for pet stays, this is solely because of the convenience of these rooms to the elevator - as the parent of a new puppy, I'm sure you understand why! :) Our cleaning process is very thorough, as it is important to us that our rooms are spotlessly clean and ready for our incoming guests. I hope that you'll stop back by and see us in the future - I'll make sure we have some bigger treats!

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed here twice on this trip and was not disappointed on either occasion. From the front desk through to the maids, everyone was extremely helpful and friendly.
On my first arrival, at 01.00 due to delayed flights, I was met with a friendly smiling face and allocated a room on the 7th floor. On the way up in the lift another guest advised me of a noisy child on the 7th floor. I had been allocated the next room. So went straight back down and, with no fuss was given room 605. The room was spacious and overlooking the river. Wonderful.
The 3 nights I spent here was the perfect start to my holiday and I couldn't fault anything, and as I was returning at the end of my trip, I was assured of a pleasant ending.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Ryan M, Manager at Harrah's Council Bluffs, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stays with us, and sincerely appreciate the kind words about our staff; comments such as yours are the reward for our hard work, and I assure you they do not go unnoticed. If your travels (all the way from England - WOW!) bring you back to the Council Bluffs or Omaha area, I hope that we will be able to give you a perfect start and pleasant ending to your next trip as well!

Thank You!

Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Whoever does hiring for this property should get a big pat on the back. Everyone from the valet, to check in to servers to dealers and slot attendants are so incredibly friendly. It must be an amazing work culture.

Stayed two nights on the hotel. Stayed on second floor in a double non-smoking. In the interest of full disclosure the room was comped for previous play at the casino.

Check in was lightening fast, the room was average and what you would expect. The bed was extremely comfortable with lots of pillows. I know I am strange but I like lots of pillows. Temperature was easily adjusted by a thermostat system on the wall which is always a plus on any hotel for me.

Nice complimentary toiletries. My only complaint was that the room had an odd smell. This is one of the few hotels that still has smoking and non- smoking rooms. My guess is that this was once upon a time a smoking room. Ate at both the buffet and the 24 hour grill. Buffet is what you expect at a casino. Backstage grill had some kick butt steak and eggs and some very nice desserts for your late night sweet tooth.

Machines were generous to me this time. It was a happy couple of days.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Ryan M, Manager at Harrah's Council Bluffs, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for the nice words about our staff! We are extremely fortunate to have built a great team here, and are very proud that you took the time to recognize us here on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you found our beds to be so comfortable (loving extra pillows isn't strange, it's the best way to sleep!), and that you enjoyed your experience in the Fresh Market Buffet and Stir Backstage Grill. Next time you are in town, you'll have to check out our 360 Steakhouse - not only is the food incredible, but the view of Omaha's downtown skyline just can't be beat. See you next time!

Regards,

Dallas TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed here out of necessity for the Berkshire annual meeting, as all other reasonable options booked. Possibly one of the worst places I've ever stayed at. The entire hotel reeked of smoke and "pardon our dust" signs. The actual room was minimally appointed. Overall there was clearly a lot of deferred maintenance. The treadmill I tried to use in the fitness center sparked and smoked once I got up to full speed, forcing me on to the one other treadmill in the place. Avoid at all costs, unless you really want to gamble. Surprisingly, there was $5 blackjack and craps even on the evening of the meeting.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ryan M, Manager at Harrah's Council Bluffs, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor. We strive to exceed the expectations of each of our guests, providing thorough training to our staff continually throughout the year. I do apologize for the "Pardon our Dust" signs; your visit this past week took place during a very exciting time for us here, as we are nearing the end of construction for our brand new, land-based casino which opens on June 8th. Combined with our guestrooms which were renovated in 2010, we will soon be featuring an exciting new product which will offer the best value in town.

I invite you to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the Council Bluffs or Omaha area. I believe that your experience will be nothing short of excellent. Should you feel that we are falling short of your expectations in any way, please do not hesitate to contact a Hotel Supervisor or Manager, and we will assist you to the best of our abilities.

Hospitably,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

This is an avg. riverboat casino hotel, bare bones services, avg. to poor Buffet & 24 hr grill. There is no person to handle your bags @ check-in. Saw a woman pushing her own bags on a bag roller cart. There is heavy cigarette smoke in the lobby of this non smoking bldg. Rooms rates should not exceed $120 per night ever. Now The good, nice check-in workers,waiters, & maids, dated but cared for rooms.
Lots of room for improvement.

• Stayed May 2013
On behalf of our staff, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here on TripAdvisor. Please know that we do share these surveys with our entire staff, and your kind words about our service are very much appreciated. I do also want to let you know that we are one month away from opening a new, land-based casino. We are very excited to open this June, and know that you will absolutely love it! In conjunction with this, we are re-opening Stir Live and Loud, as well as making changes to the Fresh Market Square Buffet, Stir Cove Backstage Grill, and our Hotel Room Service. It is certainly an exciting time for us here, and we hope that you will be able join us!

In addition, we do offer numerous services at the hotel. In addition to complimentary Valet Parking, our Valet staff are more than willing to assist you with your luggage. Should you ever have a question about our services, please let any of our staff know and they will be happy to help!

Regards,

Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This one was not. While it was good it was still about 150 bucks with tax. Location was pretty good and the room was comfortable and reasonably quiet. The staff was good too. I got sick while here and while it might have come from the buffet it is hard to say. My wife got sick the next day also. It was likely something we ate as we were better as soon as we" laughed at our shoes." The staff was nice and we gambled a small amount. It was not our aim but we came across it and stayed. Don't think I would go back as there were good, less expensive places to stay in the area. My main objection would be the price as it is high for a casino and I have stayed in many nice casino rooms for very little money including this road trip. Council Bluffs just ain't no Las Vegas.I can't give it a higher than average because of the price. Again there is not enough nuance in the rating system.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan M, Manager at Harrah's Council Bluffs, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We very much appreciate your comments about our comfortable rooms, and have made sure to pass your words on to our staff. We believe that we offer an incredible value here, as our product and services just cannot be matched by any other hotel in town. In addition, through our various Promotions, Events, and Room Types, we can customize a package which can fit any budget. We are only a month away from opening our brand new casino, and we know that you will be amazed. Should you have any questions about what we have upcoming, please do not hesitate to contact us at (712) 329-6000.

We hope to see you soon!

Wahoo, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a night in March, and the room was nothing fancy, but it was clean and functional. The last time we stayed our room faced the river, and the Omaha skyline at night is very nice looking. This time we had a view of the parking lot. Best to request the river view side. Other than that, we had a great time in the casino (we left with more than we came with).

Room Tip: Pick the riverside!