“Unassuming but very nice” 4 of 5 stars

Western Inn
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   1842 Madison Avenue, Council Bluffs, IA 51503   |
Ranked #11 of 25 hotels in Council Bluffs
Middleton WI
“Unassuming but very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We happened upon this nice little inn on a trip back from Denver. Reasonable, very clean and doesn't have a nasty smell like most older properties. Front desk lady explained how they converted the property to smoke free and it smells like they did it right. Nice little touches like fresh cookies and hot dogs in the evening. Nice breakfast starts at 5:30 a.m. for those that want to get an early start! Nothing fancy but a nice place to stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Not sure why there are so many 4 & 5 ratings. This is a basic highway motel. Rooms at clean, but beds, pillows and linens are a bit worn. Bathroom very clean. Towels were clean, but not quite white. Very easy-on-off access to I-80. Large parking area to accommodate our trailer. Breakfast: basic continental with hot biscuits and gravy (very good). Coffee good. Did not use pool, but it looked nice. Pets allowed, and I didn't notice any pet-like odors. We stayed on 2nd floor. Lobby and halls very clean. Front desk forgot to apply my AAA discount and couldn't undo the transaction until the manager came in the next morning. So remember to ask for your discount before handing the clerk your credit card.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Savannah, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Clean, this place looks from the outside like a hole in the wall hotel, but actually its quite nice. If you're looking for the Ritz Carlton or a five star resort this isn't that kind of hotel. But, if you're looking for a clean place to rest your head it is great. The pool was nice. The shower was great, good pressure and plenty of warm water. The people were friendly. It was funny, in the hallway I could hear the loud tv playing from the room next door. But in my room I couldn't hear it at all. It's a non-smoking hotel so there was no smoky smell. It's right of I-80 and it took less than 10 minutes to get to the zoo.

Room Tip: My room was on the I-80 side of the building and it was still quiet. If you stay on the west side of...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Co
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Western Inn provided a great value in our short stay. Rooms were clean and comfortable; service was always friendly and personable; and they added nice touches like the afternoon cookies and light meals in the evening. Also great that they allowed pets.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Council Bluffs, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I loved staying here before I moved to where I live now........ Great location, great price..... I love their hotdogs they serve..... The customer service is great........ A Highly Recommended place to stay the night..........

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

This is the first review I have ever written for Tripadvisor though I use it frequently for recommendations. As I write this I am very delicately sitting in a bed in the western inn. This hotel is so far away from the glowing reviews that I felt compelled to write my first review.

First, the hotel backs up to I80 so there is constant highway noise. Constant. I have the misfortune of being on the side closest to the highway, also closest to the parking lot, so I can also hear everyone talking in the parking lot. And those filtering out to their cars from the packed bar next door. I don't feel very confident about the safety of my vehicle.

The exterior appearance is old school, random side of the highway motel. Based on the location (stuck behind a weird gas station turned Dairy Queen, next to a bar, insecure parking and on top of a major highway) and the pay by the hour appearance.... I was very hesitant to even go in. I am traveling alone but having already paid and driven 9 hours to get there, decided since I only needed a clean bed for one night and not a vacation experience to check out the inside.

I will say the lobby appears to be redone and updated. I was pleasantly surprised. It did appear clean in the limited time i spent there. I saw no cookies and one sad looking hot dog but really those kind of perks don't mean much to me anyway.

The staff person was available and checked me in quickly but was not personable. She did give me a big speech about fines for smoking in the room. And then she handed me two old looking REAL keys for room entry. My first thought was how strange but then I decided to be strength based and think of it as quaint instead.

The hotel is 2 floors and does not have an elevator. This bothered a couple checking in right before me. It's only one flight of stairs and I assume if you have accessibility issues they would put you on the 1st floor. But just FYI.

My room, while generally clean on the surface, is horrid. These are the same gross, thin, certainly horrifyingly dirty comforters that my mother would have complained about 15 years ago. The noise from the street is loud and constant and the carpet is strained. The carpet is also certainly 20 years old as well. I will always have my socks on and used tissue to throw the comforter on the floor. Both mattresses cave in the middle and the pillows are ALL truly lumpy and offer no support whatsoever. The television is a 19 inch old school tv (what did they call them prior to HD?). The reception is horrible - very fuzzy picture. And then you have to turn it up so loud to drown out the road noise I am sure my neighbors can hear mine. I can definitely hear theirs when mine gets quiet.

The bathroom appears to have been updated in the past 5 years or so. Except for the bathroom fan which is so loud it actually drowns out the road noise. The shower itself though appears to have been updated this decade.

If you leave your room don't make the mistake of pushing the lock button on your door handle because then your key wont work. When I did it I was told that everyone makes that mistake. Which I would think begs the question of why they don't get rid of or disable the buttons? Or at least put a warning on them.

Also be aware the hotels allows dogs. So while I love the dogs the one 3 doors down that has been barking for the last 1/2 hour is slightly annoying. And frankly I know my dogs are housebroken and bathed with some frequency. But they aren't even here. I don't know, however, anything about all of the others dogs that have slept in the room I was assigned.

Look let me be clear... My lumpy, uncomfortable bed appears clean. My room smells neither bad or good. My bathroom and the lobby also appeared relatively clean. Which is a surprise based on the rest of the hotel. So all I'm saying is that you should know what you are walking into. A relatively clean crappy hotel with a lot of outside noise. And dogs. And old old old ( and likely unclean) bedding. Giant real keys that will only open your door if you don't push the lock button. And hot dogs.

Spend $10 more dollars and go somewhere else. I will if I ever have to come back to this area.

• Stayed March 2013
Marshalltown, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My family of 4 stayed here for a one night birthday gathering. The rooms were very nice, and had some nice updates to them (shower, carpets, HD flat screen TV etc). The pool where the party was very nice and accommodated the swimmers and non-swimmers. Plenty of ice for the coolers and the beverages. Easy to get in and out of. I actually stayed in this hotel over 10 years ago, and it has made strides in being a GREAT PLACE to take the family. The hot tub is gone though, beware if you need to have one of those. Priced right for out kid friendly budget!

Room Tip: The low 100 rooms are close to the pool!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Western Inn? Share your experiences!