“Great value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Colorado Springs, Co
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Western Inn provided a great value in our short stay. Rooms were clean and comfortable; service was always friendly and personable; and they added nice touches like the afternoon cookies and light meals in the evening. Also great that they allowed pets.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Council Bluffs, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I loved staying here before I moved to where I live now........ Great location, great price..... I love their hotdogs they serve..... The customer service is great........ A Highly Recommended place to stay the night..........

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

This is the first review I have ever written for Tripadvisor though I use it frequently for recommendations. As I write this I am very delicately sitting in a bed in the western inn. This hotel is so far away from the glowing reviews that I felt compelled to write my first review.

First, the hotel backs up to I80 so there is constant highway noise. Constant. I have the misfortune of being on the side closest to the highway, also closest to the parking lot, so I can also hear everyone talking in the parking lot. And those filtering out to their cars from the packed bar next door. I don't feel very confident about the safety of my vehicle.

The exterior appearance is old school, random side of the highway motel. Based on the location (stuck behind a weird gas station turned Dairy Queen, next to a bar, insecure parking and on top of a major highway) and the pay by the hour appearance.... I was very hesitant to even go in. I am traveling alone but having already paid and driven 9 hours to get there, decided since I only needed a clean bed for one night and not a vacation experience to check out the inside.

I will say the lobby appears to be redone and updated. I was pleasantly surprised. It did appear clean in the limited time i spent there. I saw no cookies and one sad looking hot dog but really those kind of perks don't mean much to me anyway.

The staff person was available and checked me in quickly but was not personable. She did give me a big speech about fines for smoking in the room. And then she handed me two old looking REAL keys for room entry. My first thought was how strange but then I decided to be strength based and think of it as quaint instead.

The hotel is 2 floors and does not have an elevator. This bothered a couple checking in right before me. It's only one flight of stairs and I assume if you have accessibility issues they would put you on the 1st floor. But just FYI.

My room, while generally clean on the surface, is horrid. These are the same gross, thin, certainly horrifyingly dirty comforters that my mother would have complained about 15 years ago. The noise from the street is loud and constant and the carpet is strained. The carpet is also certainly 20 years old as well. I will always have my socks on and used tissue to throw the comforter on the floor. Both mattresses cave in the middle and the pillows are ALL truly lumpy and offer no support whatsoever. The television is a 19 inch old school tv (what did they call them prior to HD?). The reception is horrible - very fuzzy picture. And then you have to turn it up so loud to drown out the road noise I am sure my neighbors can hear mine. I can definitely hear theirs when mine gets quiet.

The bathroom appears to have been updated in the past 5 years or so. Except for the bathroom fan which is so loud it actually drowns out the road noise. The shower itself though appears to have been updated this decade.

If you leave your room don't make the mistake of pushing the lock button on your door handle because then your key wont work. When I did it I was told that everyone makes that mistake. Which I would think begs the question of why they don't get rid of or disable the buttons? Or at least put a warning on them.

Also be aware the hotels allows dogs. So while I love the dogs the one 3 doors down that has been barking for the last 1/2 hour is slightly annoying. And frankly I know my dogs are housebroken and bathed with some frequency. But they aren't even here. I don't know, however, anything about all of the others dogs that have slept in the room I was assigned.

Look let me be clear... My lumpy, uncomfortable bed appears clean. My room smells neither bad or good. My bathroom and the lobby also appeared relatively clean. Which is a surprise based on the rest of the hotel. So all I'm saying is that you should know what you are walking into. A relatively clean crappy hotel with a lot of outside noise. And dogs. And old old old ( and likely unclean) bedding. Giant real keys that will only open your door if you don't push the lock button. And hot dogs.

Spend $10 more dollars and go somewhere else. I will if I ever have to come back to this area.

• Stayed March 2013
Marshalltown, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My family of 4 stayed here for a one night birthday gathering. The rooms were very nice, and had some nice updates to them (shower, carpets, HD flat screen TV etc). The pool where the party was very nice and accommodated the swimmers and non-swimmers. Plenty of ice for the coolers and the beverages. Easy to get in and out of. I actually stayed in this hotel over 10 years ago, and it has made strides in being a GREAT PLACE to take the family. The hot tub is gone though, beware if you need to have one of those. Priced right for out kid friendly budget!

Room Tip: The low 100 rooms are close to the pool!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Schuyler, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights while skiing at the nearby ski area. We choose it because of the good reviews and awesome price ($49 online). I had a bad experience booking online before so called and they gave me the online price in person, which they didn't have to do, and I appreciated! Staff was nice and helpful, even offering to check movie showings at the theatre for us!
Location convenient to downtown Omaha, I80, casinos, ect. There is a gas station, and restaurants right across the road. Pool was heated, clean and a big hit with the kids! our room was clean and big, and with 5 in one room, that's important! Breakfast had biscuits that gravy we all enjoyed, plus regular continental fair.
Overall it was a nice stay, well worth the money, and we would recommend it to our family and friends.

• Stayed December 2012
Colorado Springs CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I decided to try something different than the Super 8/Motel 6 hotels I usually stay at when I visit Council Bluffs and I was not at all disappointed. Easy to get to, reasonable price, pleasant staff, decent rooms. I'll plan on staying here there next time I visit Council Bluffs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Remember going to Aunt Agnes' house and staying in her guest room? Well, the Western Inn will remind you of those times. Great breakfast in the morning, fresh cookies baking in the oven in the afternoon and lest I forget, hotdogs are roasting for your snack before dinner. Or better yet, that could be dinner. The rooms are simple but have a homie feel. The front desk staff are friendly and very helpful. I feel like I'm staying at someone's house (Aunt Agnes) rather than a motel. Next trip to Council Bluffs or Omaha, I'll be there.

Room Tip: Motel is in a shopping mall. When you get off the freeway, look for the DQ (Dairy Queen)!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Western Inn? Share your experiences!