“Great stay for the whole family” 4 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Denver, CO
“Great stay for the whole family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We were meeting our family at a half-way point, so we chose the Council Bluffs/Omaha area. We were very happy with this hotel in general - the hotel is kept clean and is updated. The rooms were spacious and beds were comfy. We stayed on the 5th floor overlooking the river. I agree with a previous reviewer that there is residual smoke smell when you get out onto the 5th floor from the elevator, but we did not have any of that smell in our room at all. We were glad to have a refrigerator in our room, but it wasn't that big and didn't have any freezer area to keep our ice packs frozen. Also, there was no fan in the bathroom which would have been nice to keep the steam from the shower at bay. We did not use the pool, but did walk by several times - it looked like a great area for both kids and adults and seemed clean. We really liked that this hotel is connected to the amenities of the Ameristar casino - although we didn't use the casino, we liked that they had options for child care and great restaurants that were only a short walk away. The free shuttle service was great as we wanted to be able to head out for a night on the town without having to worry about driving. The front desk staff was ok - not overly friendly, but not rude either - just more matter of fact when interacting with us. The breakfast was ok - not spectacular - the standard continental breakfast fare - we did like that they had some heated (eggs, sausage) options and they were refilling the breakfast even up to the time when it was supposed to be over. Overall, this hotel met our needs and we would definitely recommend it or stay here again!

Room Tip: even numbered rooms are river-side
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear mskrugr,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your time here with us to the TripAdvisor community! I am very happy that you were satisfied with your stay and that you were able to provide us with such honest feedback. We always love hearing from our guests about both what we have done well as well as what we can improve upon for all of our guests in the future. Your feedback about the front desk as well as the comments about your room will be relayed to my proper departments to ensure that those particular areas become stronger. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of your room as well as the shuttle service and I will make sure to let my staff know that these are two areas that we can keep going strong. I am very happy that you enjoyed your time here with us and I look forward to our next opportunity to serve you!

Bill Vanderpool

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Butler, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Thus hotel was very big. The mattresses were very soft. Staff gave us extra pillows and towels when we checked in. Free water in Lobby for all guests. Free hot breakfast in the morning (normal free breakfast). Free shuttle to Omaha (excellent driver that gave us a little tour of Omaha). This hotel is connected to Ameristar Casino, which was very nice when we walked to gamble.

We had a pretty view of the river from our room. The lobby was decorated very nice. The elevators could use a little TLC. There is a strong odor outside of the hotel. It is not the hotels fault for the odor at all, but be warn there is an odor outside.

We go to Omaha at least once a year. I will stay at this hotel from now on. It was a really great stay with excellent staff.

Room Tip: Sign up for Holiday Inn rewards
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Elizabeth R,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review with the TripAdvisor community! It is great to hear all of the wonderful things you had to say about your time here with us. My staff works very hard to make our guests feel at home and I will make sure to relay to them what a wonderful job they did for you - both the shuttle driver as well as the front desk staff. It is great to hear that you enjoyed so many different aspects of your stay from the comfy rooms to the shuttle service. Return guests are very important to a hotel and I am very happy that we won you over! I have scheduled repairs to the elevator that you had mentioned so we can make sure to put our best foot forward. My staff and I sincerely thank you for such a great review of our hotel and look forward to hosting you for many years to come!

NE Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed here for a concert in Council Bluffs, and this Holiday Inn did it's job. A clean, comfortable, room with a lot of space in the room. This Holiday Inn provided us with free WiFi and also a free hot breakfast, similar to what any Holiday Inn Express offers.We also were able to get free shuttle service to our concert. I recommend this property because it had a great staff at the front desk. (I watched them handle a disgruntled customer with ease and with professionalism even though it sounded like a 3rd party booking agency had messed up her reservation) This is a good choice for the casinos, concerts, even into the old market in Omaha.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear HuskerFan1022,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review of our hotel with the TripAdvisor community! I am very happy that we were able to make your concert trip even more enjoyable. I sincerely appreciate your kind words for the service provided by our front desk staff. One of our biggest goals is to always provide the best possible service to our guests and I will make sure to pass along to them what a wonderful job they did for you during your time here with us. I am very happy that you were able to enjoy so many of our amenities like our complimentary breakfast and our WIFI. We know these are very important to our guests and it is great that they made your time here even more comfortable. We sincerely appreciate that we were able to show you such a wonderful time and we hope to have the opportunity to do so again real soon!

New lenox
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This hotel couldn't care less about its guests. We made the mistake of prepaying for our reservation and then needed to cancel and stay the following night. They wouldn't allow us to even though I explained we were stuck two states away at a softball tournament. They put me through to the supervisor and I waited 35 minutes on hold. I will never ever stay at a holiday inn again. I hope they feel good about keeping my 98 bucks! What ever you do ,don't prepay. You will be punished for it!! And holiday inn corporate please hire someone who speaks English to answer your damn phones!!!

• Stayed June 2014
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Seville5,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our hotel with me. I sincerely appreciate any feedback I can get to make our hotel better for all of our guests in the future. I assure you we care a great deal about each and every one of our guests and would never do anything intentionally to upset them. I would be very happy if you would reach out to me directly so I can have the details necessary to research what happened with your particular reservation. If you book your reservation directly through IHG.com we have the ability to cancel and refund your room for you but if you book through any third party agency than the hotel does not have the ability to issue you a refund. I would be very happy to straighten this out for you as I can give you my word that my entire staff and I care a great deal about each of our guests. I sincerely hope to speak to you soon.

Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We stayed here because it was about the closest hotel to The Omaha Zoo. We were glad that we stayed here. It was just off the freeway, & a short 5 minute drive to the zoo, & a short drive to Downtown Omaha. There was 6 of us staying here, so we had 2 rooms, next door to one another. I had asked when I made the reservations if we could have a river view? When we checked into our room, we were very pleased, with the nice view. My sister & her boyfriend & his 2 kids had the room next to us with a view also. The hotel was sold out, because Union Pacific was having a conference there. The hotel was very busy. We stayed there for 3 days. We had a room right next to the front desk, so it got a little bit noisy at night. I just put a towel under our door & no noise. Our room was a handicapped room with 1 King size bed, Roll-in-shower, microwave & a refrigerator. Very roomy. Our hotel was in the middle of a Hampton Inn & The Ameristar Casino. The hotel also had a nice big pool, hot tub, fitness room, sauna. The walkway in between the hotel & the casino had a Bakery, a Buffet & a Steakhouse. There was also a Sportsbar & a little Gift shop. They also had laundry facilities. They also had room service, we didn't use the service, but my sister did. They also had a free shuttle that would take you to anywhere within 5 miles. We used it one time to go to Harrah's for dinner one night. The front desk people were so nice & friendly too, even though they were very busy the whole time we were there. If we ever went back there we would stay there again. The hotel was also very clean too. Free breakfast was great too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear teenytinyterri,

Thank you for sharing such an amazing review of our hotel with the entire TripAdvisor community! It is great to hear that everything with your stay was flawless. These are the types of experiences we work very hard to provide to all of our guests and I am very happy that you will have such fond memories of your time here with us. I will make sure to share with my entire staff, from my front desk, to my housekeepers, to my breakfast attendants that they did a perfect job for you. It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy so many of our amenities during your stay and it is wonderful that you had such a great experience with them. I am very happy that we were able to make such a positive impact on you and your family during your time with us. We love our guests and I am very happy that you left here feeling that way. If you happen to visit the area again don't hesitate to stop by and see us - we will do our best to make sure you are glad you did!

Grand Island, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I stayed here with my sister and daughter. It was late, after a concert, that we actually got into the room. We did have problems with the microwave, kept shutting off, so our meals could not be heated up. Talked to front desk in the morning and was satisfied with results.
We also had ordered a room with 2 beds but got a room with a king bed, called down to desk and a roll away was promptly broiught up. Besides the inconviences the breakfast was good and all other ammenities was awesome!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear jennifer n,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with the TripAdvisor community. We always appreciate reviews like yours so we know what we are doing well and what we can improve upon. I am very sorry for the difficulties you did face during your time with us but I am very happy that my staff was able to come to a quick resolution that you were satisfied with. That is something we focus on a great deal, that if something does happen to go wrong, what we can do to make it right for our guests. I will make sure to relay to my staff that they did a great job in this regard for you. I am also very happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our breakfast and had a good overall stay while you were here with us. If you find yourself in the area again we would love to have the opportunity to serve you again!

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed here for our family vacation to Omaha and were not disappointed. It was 10 min to both the zoo and downtown Omaha. The hotel was nice and clean. It's on the river so we enjoyed walking along the river each night with our girls. The hotel is linked to the ameristar casino and was convenient to have their restaurants on site to walk to. I was nervous it would be noisy at night having a room on the main floor close to the ameristar walkway but it wasn't at all. The pool was great and not to busy for our small girls. Breakfast was good just a little crowded, not sure if that was due to our stay over a holiday weekend as I know the hotel was sold out. We would definitely stay here next time!

Room Tip: Ask for a river/downtown Omaha view!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Cassie M,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review of our hotel with the entire TripAdvisor community! It was great to hear that we were able to help make your family trip more special. I am very happy that you were able to enjoy so many of our best features like our free breakfast and nice central location. Also our walkway along the river is one of our more unique features and I am very happy that you and your family were able to enjoy it each evening. It always means a lot to us to hear that one of our guests would definitely return to us the next time they visit and I sincerely appreciate the compliment. I look forward to making your next trip even more special than your last!

Bill Vanderpool

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29? Share your experiences!