“Military Discount - Sometimes” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 25 hotels in Council Bluffs
“Military Discount - Sometimes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

When I called to make the reservation for a jacuzzi suite I asked about a military discount. I was informed that there were no military discounts on suites and that they only offered discounts on the standard rooms when they weren't close to being completely booked. I almost hung up at that point. Had the female stopped at "we only offer discounts on standard rates" I would have been fine. But the second part didn't sit we'll with me. Shows the priorities of this establishment.

I went ahead and asked to reserve a room despite my irritation. I was placed on hold for nearly 10 minutes before the female came back on the line.

Once we arrived, the female working at the front desk was irritated that the phone kept ringing and that she had to have a driver head out (Alice Cooper's show had just ended). We were provided with our key and pointed towards an elevator.

The room itself was fine except for the nasty ceiling above the hot tub. I'd highly recommend fixing the ceiling and placing tile there.

In the morning as we waited in line to check out we watched the same female make fun of a guest who had come down to ask for a razor. Highly unprofessional.

• Stayed July 2013
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Angie S,

Thank you for choosing to spend your time here with us even with the difficulties you faced. I will be using this example during my next staff meeting so everyone knows how important the things they convey to our guests are. I assure you that our service is one of our strong points and will ensure that your experience will not be repeated in the future. I would be more than happy to speak to you directly about this experience as well. I care a great deal about the stay of each and every one of my guests and will always be here for you when something doesn't go as well as it should. I would love the opportunity to serve you again and I will make sure that if you do visit us again your stay will be outstanding!

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Ripon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The hotel was nice and the breakfast good. Next to a casino, I don’t gamble so it made no difference to me. It was close enough to downtown Omaha which is a nice place to hang out during the day and stay for dinner. The pool was also nice.

Dear wingnut457,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy so much of our facility while you were here. Our location, pool, and breakfast are three things that many of our guests enjoy and I am very happy that you enjoyed them as well. We also have a complimentary shuttle to downtown Omaha so the next time your in town we can take you there and pick you up 24-hours a day if you don't want to have to look for parking. It is great that you enjoyed your time here with us and I look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again soon!

Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Hard to complain about this place. Updated and clean. Bathroom actually had a shower instead of tub. It's not in the greatest location but if's safe. My A/C quit at some point in the night and wouldn't come on. I let the Front desk know when I checked out and they apologized and knocked $30 off the bill. That was nice.
I rated the Value as Poor because it was $190 a night, due to the College World Series going on. Of course every hotel in the area was high so it was comparable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear awray,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and for choosing to spend your time here with us. I sincerely appreciate you showcasing some of our best features for the TripAdvisor community. Our staff worked very hard on our recent renovation and it is great to hear that you found us to be nice and modern. I am sorry for the difficulty with the air conditioning unit but am very happy to hear that you were pleased with the outcome of the situation. I appreciate your understanding in regards to the rate during the College World Series and would love to have you back the next time you are in town. I look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Williamsburg, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

First, the positives: the staff were friendly and helpful, the pool area was nice (although there is a complaint in there), the room was nice. The location is very convenient.

The negatives: the pool deck is incredibly slippery. I saw numerous people fall, and I also fell. The a/c unit in the room was very noisy. The breakfast room was chaotic. They should move the waffle iron to a place where it won't clog up the whole room. We visited during a very busy time. The College World Series was going on, so it was crowded and incredibly noisy in the middle of the night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear IowaGirl-in-Germany,

Thank you for staying with us while you were in the area - we truly apprecaiate your business. I also thank you for pointing out both the positives about your experiences as well as the things we can do better next time. I have reported your concerns with the pool deck being slippery to Ameristar's Facilities department to have the issue corrected immediately. I am also reviewing with my breakfast department about moving the waffle-maker. I think that it is a great idea and I appreciate you sharing it with me. I also thank you for pointing out the things that went well for you while you were here with us. Our service and quality of our rooms are things we take a great deal of pride in and I am glad that these areas were positives during your time here with us. I would love to have another opportunity to serve you if you are in the neighborhood again!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel while on a family road trip. The attached Ameristar Casino would privide some great entertainment if you are interested. The fitness center and pool provided a great way to exercise after being in a car all day. We stayed in a room facing the river, and our son enjoyed watching logs float by while we got ready in the morning. The hot breakfast was exceptionally good, and the staff did a nice job of keeping the food stocked and tables clean. The room was clean, and tastefully decorated. We hope to stay here again on out way back home.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Stacey502,

It is great to hear that we were everything you were hoping for on your recent road trip. I always enjoy hearing how we have been able to make memories for our guests. Watching the logs float down the river is something only our guests can enjoy and I am happy that you were able to be a part of that. I appreciate you showcasing some of our best features for the TripAdvisor community such as our connection with the casino as well as our breakfast and cleanliness. I will make sure to relay to my staff how much you enjoyed your time here with us and we would love to host you again on your way back through.

Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed here overnight on our way to another destination. When booked we did not realize it was attached to a casino. We didn't mind that other than parking was a mess. The lobby was nice and staff was pleasant and friendly. As others have stated, the property needs some updates as it is showing some wear in places. The wall paper in our room had started to peel in one spot.

However, it did seem clean and has a great location next to the interstate. Breakfast was also adequate and all in our group found something to eat.

Room Tip: When booking know this is attached to a casino and at least one other hotel property. Parking can b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear ksugans,

Thank you for choosing our hotel on your trip through the area - we really appreciate your business. I am happy that you were able to report such positive things as the service of the staff as well as the lobby updates that we have completed. We have been steadily working on improving our entire hotel for everyone to enjoy. We work very hard at showcasing our best features and I am glad that you left here feeling that these areas were up to par. I am sorry for the difficulty in parking and I can understand your feelings about sharing the parking lot with the casino - it can make it difficult when they have events going on. Overall I am happy that you left here satisfied and would love to have the opportunity to host you again if you are ever passing through!

Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is the first time that I have stayed at this hotel, my company usually puts me in the Holiday Inn Express about a mile from this property.

I have stayed at several full-service Holiday Inn locations in the past, so this is what my comparisons are based off of. I would describe this hotel to be on the 'lower end' of what other full-service HI locations are. The hotel property is dated. The common areas are pretty run down, and the corridors could use updating. There is a smell of cigarette smoke throughout the property. The staff did welcome me as a Gold member, and I found the staff to be the best part of my 3 day visit. The breakfast came in a close 2nd. Upon entering my room, it was also pretty dated. The through-the-wall air conditioner was noisy, & the furnishings had seen some better days. The bathroom had been updated recently, and the bed was comfortable. I needed to sleep with ear plugs to overcome the sound of the A/C.

Restaurants at the Casino were ok, and it is better to walk then to have to drive somewhere, but the smoke throughout the facility was a huge turnoff.

As this compares to other "full service" Holiday Inn locations, it is below expectations. As it compares to the Holiday Inn Express down the street, it is also sub-par. The facility simply does not meet the bar to be a full-service HI location. It needs to be updated, or to be turned into a lesser quality chain hotel such as a Comfort or Best Western.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear HI-Gold-Member,

Thank you for choosing to spend your recent business trip to the area with us. I am happy that you found the service of my staff to be a bright spot in your stay. We care a great deal about each of our guests and I am happy that you felt that during your time here. It is also good to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast as well. I will make sure to relay your kind words to my staff in each of these departments. I am very sorry that you found our property to be dated. We are constantly improving our hotel and have recently completed the majority of public areas including the lobby, breakfast area, and banquet facilities. I would love to speak to you directly to talk about how we can improve for everyone in the future so we can be better prepared to serve the needs of all of our guests. I always take every opportunity I can to hear feedback from the people who matter the most to us - our guests. Please don't hesitate to contact me as I would love to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and show you a better experience the next time around.

Bill Vanderpool

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!