“"We won't be back"” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Scottsdale, Arizona
“"We won't be back"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

This motel is pretty old, so allowances must be made. It is quite close to a busy freeway, and there was a constant low rumble of traffic, day and night. We arrived around 5.30 and the front desk clerk was exceptionally friendly and helpful. The motel is very pet-friendly, with rules, which is a good thing. The front handicap doors did not work under power, defeating their purpose. Our room was clean, but the furniture was faded and dilapidated. The carpet was like a washboard, and badly needed stretching. There was a hole in the wall from a too-enthusiastic use of the doorstop. On the bright side, the bathroom was very clean and fully stocked with towels, etc. Also, the TV, microwave and fridge (larger than usual), were fine. The beds were clean and very comfortable. Freeway noise during the night turned out not to be the problem we had anticipated. Breakfast was very good, just as advertised for all AmericInns. Right next to the motel is a small Chinese restaurant, most of whose business is take-out. We dined-in there; a Spartan experience.
In summary, unless you are hard-of-hearing, really need to bring the dog along, and relish mediocre Chinese food, this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: No preferences; see review above.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Janet_D_11982, General Manager at AmericInn Council Bluffs, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experiences and compliments at Americinn Council bluffs hotel. We have received several compliments on brand new Americinn breakfast that offers many HEALTHY options and it is designed to satisfy every guest we serve. Our healthy breakfast includes fresh baked waffles, cheese omelet, fresh fruit, pastries, variety of oatmeal with three different flavors, cereals, yogurt, white, raisin & wheat toast and much more…
We sincerely wish that you had brought those issues up as soon as you learned about them and gave us an opportunity to correct the situation. We could have changed the room for you so you could have slept comfortably and free of any worries.
We hope to be of service to you in the future. If I can provide any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Janet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Iowa City, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

When I checked in on the afternoon of April 5, the desk clerk was about as rude as one could be for a service-oriented industry. Here's how my check-in went:

Me: "Hi, we have a reservation; my last name is [Guy]."
Clerk looks at computer and states: "No. You don't have a reservation."
End of conversation.

Dumbfounded, I explained that my reservation was part of a group reservation and that it should be under my name. Then I asked her if a confirmation number would help, because she was making no attempts to find my reservation. I looked up the confirmation number, gave it to her and she said quietly, "There it is." I asked her what the problem was, and she never answered. She just asked if I wanted it on the credit card that was used to hold the reservation. I said yes, she prepared the magnetic key card and handed it to me, with directions to the room. No pleasantries or welcome at all.

The room was nasty. Stains on the carpet and bedspreads.The bathroom had mold on two corners of the bathtub and bath curtain. Bathroom floor was dirty. The heating unit didn't work properly (high heat all the time or no heat).

My spouse has stayed at a number of AmericInn's in Iowa and has always raved about the service. She couldn't believe that this was part of the same chain.

Me? I'll stay away from now on.

Room Tip: Choose a room that's not at this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Janet_D_11982, General Manager at AmericInn Council Bluffs, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
The Americinn in Council Bluffs, Iowa would like to thank you for your comments. We are truly sorry that your experience at our hotel did not meet your expectations. Our goal at Americinn Council Bluffs is to provide a full-service experience with an emphasis on providing excellent guest service and creating an exceptional experience for our guests.

Please be assured, that I have addressed these comments and spoke to each individual department concerning your experiences with us. This is not how our front desk agents or as we call them "Welcome Committee Members" are supposed to behave. Our team members are always willing and ready to assist in any need that you may have. I am sorry that you did not call the front desk or even myself during your stay. Our property operations team would have immediately addressed your concerns. We take great pride in our rooms and again would have jumped on the opportunity to address any concerns.
We hope to be of service to you in the future. If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Updated rooms, a pool, and quiet.... Can't ask for much more. Didn't have the breakfast but it smelled good. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Good location but no good restaurants within a quick walk. I can say I have NO complaints'

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit to the Americinn Hotel in Council Bluffs, Iowa and chose our hotel on your business trip.

As you are aware that our AmericInn Council Bluffs hotel is ideally located off I-80, just across the river from Omaha, Nebraska and we are very close to Epply Airfield, downtown Omaha, Harrah’s & Ameristar casinos, Mid-American Center, the Old Market District and the Henry Doorly Zoo.

I am glad that you noticed that we have updated our rooms, and that we feature a pool, that can be used by both our corporate guests and families with children.

I wish you had called our front-desk team members and they would have gladly given you all the details about several dining options because we are surrounded by both local and chain restaurants.
On your next stay, please make some time to start your day with a hot cup o’ joe and enjoy a hearty American Council Bluffs breakfast that features fresh baked waffles, eggs, fresh fruit, pastries, Variety of Oatmeal, Yogurt, White & Wheat Toast and much more…

We look forward to welcoming you back to Council bluffs soon and we hope you’ll stay with us at the Americinn Hotel again!
New York State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Absolutely one of the cleanest and most comfortable hotels we have stayed at on any trip and the price is right, the staff accommodating. We arrive late at night, and everyone is still as cheerful and helpful as if it were noon.

Room Tip: We ask for our favorite room, top floor, at the east end, facing the parking lot. Large and warm.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Janet_D_11982, General Manager at AmericInn Council Bluffs, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for taking your time out of your day to let us know how we are doing, Just as your time is important to you, your comments are just as valuable to us.

Thanks so much for choosing AmericInn. We look forward to serving you at the end of your day!
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

This was a very nice stay. Had a room with 2 nice Queen Beds. Room 124. Jeff, the desk clerk was very friendly and knew alot about the area. We were the only ones to use the pool, very nice. Had a very nice breakfast. Nice quiet Hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time out of your day to let us know how we are doing, Just as your time is valuable to you, your comments are just as valuable to us. We are constantly trying to improve so that each guest has an enjoyable stay the AmericInn way. Thank you for choosing AmericInn.
Mount Horeb
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

The check-in was great! We had a dog with us. She was very friendly and accommodating getting us close to the side door. General room was comfortable and breakfast was nice. No hot tub though, I was bummed. Room 102, heater fan noise, LOUD! Broken night of sleep. Bad fan, I think. Not much interest by check-out staff, different girl, just "Ok. I'll tell maintenance." Like I was making it up. I did not receive any reassuring perks or "I'm sorry about that. Here's what we can do..." Nothing, a bit disappointing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with AmericInn Hotels and Suites

Janet_D_11982, General Manager at AmericInn Council Bluffs, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experiences at Americinn Council bluffs hotel. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our associates have been trained to address and resolve any situation that does not meet our high standards.

When problems or issues are reported during the stay, we make sure that a fix is provided right away. However, it is hard to fix problems when they are addressed after a guest stay. The sooner we are notified the faster we can address and find resolutions.

As you have stated, we have done well for you in the past and so all we ask is to please give us another chance when you are back in town so we may make this right for you.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.
Des Moines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed in room 203 which overlooks the parking lot (I like this because regardless of where we are I like being able to keep an eye on the vehicle.) We opted for a room with a king and the bed was nice and comfortable. The room itself was very clean, no bugs. Looks like the hotel has undergone a facelift in the past couple of years and the room didn't have the typical motel look to it. The walls were a nice sea green with green and brown carpet. The bedding was a chocolate brown which went with the furniture as well. The pictures were leaves in greens, reds as well as brown. All of the bathroom fixtures had been replaced with I think the exception of the tile around the tub. However, that tile was very clean. The front desk was helpful and nice as well. I'm giving this hotel an average rating because the hallways were pretty dirty, the carpet there had lots of stains, and the walls were scuffed as well. This surprises me because the room itself was great. The hotel use to be a Heartland Inn so does not have the typical AmericInn look. We didn't have breakfast because a tour bus was there as well so the breakfast area was packed. This is the first AmericInn that I have been a little disappointed in.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your compliments. I am glad that you noticed that we have renovated our rooms and public areas.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. I have shared your kind words with the entire Amricinn Council Bluffs, Iowa team and I am sure you would agree that such feedback enables us to encourage each and every associate to always ‘go that extra mile’ in order to ensure that all guests enjoy the true ‘Americinn ” experience.

I apologize that our hallways did not impress you and you did not get to enjoy a hearty American Council Bluffs breakfast. I have addressed those issues with our housekeeping leadership and team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Council Bluffs soon and hope this time you would make some time to enjoy Americinn Council Bluffs special breakfast that features fresh baked waffles, eggs, fresh fruit, pastries, Variety of Oatmeal, Yogurt, White & Wheat Toast and much more…

Been to AmericInn Council Bluffs? Share your experiences!