“Love the octagon suites” 4 of 5 stars

Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2200 River Road, Council Bluffs, IA 51501   |
Ranked #2 of 25 hotels in Council Bluffs
Council Bluffs, Iowa
“Love the octagon suites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

On the shore of the Missouri River, the octagon suites are great. ( I think you need to book these rooms through a casino host) Perfect for a couple's special occasion. Offering 2 rooms with a fireplace, large hot tub, comfortable bed, and great views.

Room Tip: The normal hot tub rooms are very noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

92 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
White Lake, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I really liked this hotel as soon as you walk in you can see how great it looks inside with a few shops and a bar as well as the casino. The pool is wonderful as well, it is both inside and outside and the temperature is perfect not too hot and not too cold. It's only 3 ft deep but we still enjoyed it very much. there is also a hot tub to relax in as well. The room was great it was quiet and I was not woken by the noise of the bar which after reading some reviews about that before staying here I worried about. Overall a wonderful night to stay and would for the price it's worth it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
I'm glad you had a nice stay, Sandy, and enjoyed our pool area. Thank you for sharing your review and for visiting!
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

If you go to the casino, be ready for massive smoke. It was oppressive- So, I stayed clear.

Beyond that, the rooms were nice and well- equipped. The staff was friendly and the parking was free!

Not sure I will return because of the smoke though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
I apologize for any inconvenience. We really appreciate your feedback and are currently working on additional enhancements to our air quality system that will reduce the presence of smoke in the casino. Thank you for sharing your review and for being our guest. We do hope to see you again.
Columbus, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have stayed at Ameristar a couple of years ago and when we arrived they only had 1 room booked out of 2 . We all ended up staying in one room and my husband and I slept on a roll away bed. I had a horrible time and vowed never to go back. Well for our anniversary this year I wanted to take a couple days off and come to Omaha for some fun. My husband wanted to try Ameristar again so I reluctantly agreed. Well bad mistake once again. My husband and I arrived at Ameristar at check in time (3:15) and we were told our room wasn't available. My husband and I waited for 2 hours until our room was ready and did not check in until after 5pm. I called around 4:30 and talked to customer service wanting a comp for the buffet since we had to wait for 2 long hours and this is what the gal said to me, " We don't promise to have your rooms ready on time. We have a lot of room to clean. We do not give "comps" for waiting so there is nothing I can do." Well guess what: Hampton, Marriot, Embassy Suites, and every other hotel I stay in has the rooms ready on time and they do guarantee that. I will never stay at the Ameristar again. We have brought $500.00 to gamble with but I will not spend another penny here. We are going to go gamble at Harrah's. Do yourselves a favor and go somewhere that will have your room complete on time so you don't have to wait.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm so sorry to hear this and for any inconvenience you experienced. We want all of our guests to have a comfortable stay each time they visit and experience quality guest service. We'd definitely like to follow up with you and personally apologize. Please feel free to send your contact information and details of your stay to AtYourServiceCB@ameristar.com and we'd be more than happy to get in touch with you. We really appreciate your feedback and hope you reconsider and continue to be our guest.
Orchard Park NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

As they say - first impressions are everything. I flew into Omaha and called for their shuttle service. After three attempts of nobody answering me I finally got through to the hotel. I was told 10-15 minutes and look for a Chevy - a Chevy? Well it was a Chevy Malibu that came to get me about a half hour after the call. So I immediately wondered what type of place I was going to - heck I wouldn't have gotten in if not for the driver wearing an Ameristar Casino shirt. The guy who picked me up was awesome but it was clear the malibu was his own personal vehicle. To my surprise arriving at the hotel - they had bright and shiny shuttle buses just sitting there (which I was driven back to the airport in a few days later which by the way i got scolded at because I didn't book the shuttle in advance of leaving). The staff both in the hotel and casino itself were stand-offish. The room was clean and big with a nice view overlooking the Casino boat and the sports bar off the lobby was affordable and food was great. One night I tried the buffet restaurant also off the lobby and for over $20 got very little.

To me a casino hotel should be bending over backwards trying to impress newcomers so they return - I did not get that sense from the staff at this hotel casino and I doubt I would ever go back

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I'm very sorry to hear you were not happy with your stay, scottop. We value each one of our guests and we want to do whatever we can to make your stay pleasant. We do offer complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport for hotel guests. New this year, we have a Suburban and a shuttle bus marked with the Ameristar logo that we use to transport guests. The Chevy Malibu is out of service now, but was used as well when the other two were occupied. Hotel guests are welcome to contact hotel front desk or stop by the valet office to book their complimentary shuttle. Thanks for visiting and we do hope you reconsider and visit us again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at the Ameristar Casino in Council Bluffs on a Friday night at about 9:30pm. I walked up to the security counter in order to enter into the casino. First I was badgered about "needing my ID ready when I arrive at the desk". Next I waited patiently for about a minute while I was cleared for entrance. I was told to enjoy myself and have a good time. I entered the casino gates only to be yelled at by another security guard... 3 times he yelled at me to "stop was I was doing immediately, and turn around and walk out of the casino". I was startled, shocked and beginning to get a little nervous. The security guard asked if I had been cleared and I responded "yeah"... The security guard that had cleared me the first time looks over and couldn't remember clearing me at all. Needless to say I stood in the back of the line AGAIN and went through the entrance process. Not a single apology for the inconvenience and I was asked by the security guard "what was I thinking". Unbelievable... I even called the casino and explained what had happened... The gentlemen on the phone offered me two free buffets, then hung up on me!!! I'm dismayed at the customer service. :( this used to be my favorite casino and I deff. Don't feel welcomed anymore.

• Stayed May 2013
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
I'm so sorry to hear this and do apologize for any inconvenience or confusion. We want all of our guests to feel welcomed and I'm sorry if we fell short this time. We do hope you continue to be our guest and would like to follow up with you. Please feel free to send your contact information and details of your experience to atyourserviceCB@ameristar.com and we'd be happy to get in touch with you. Thanks for sharing your feedback and for visiting.
Oakdale, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

They were very helpful and friendly. The room was clean and modern. Nice big screen and a frig. King bed was new enough to be firm. The noise level was non-existent. We had driven from Santa Fe via Wichita trying to miss a big storm and were very pleased to find everything to our liking. The Casino was very nice, (except no Miller Genuine Draft). The restaurants were great (though a bit expensive), and time eating is cheaper than time gambling, so it was ok.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs? Share your experiences!