“Disappointing stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Onawa, Ia
“Disappointing stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I booked a room at Ameristar Casino Hotel. I asked for a King size bed and they said that one was available and I booked it. When we went to check in yesterday they told me it as a King size bed in handicap room. I told them that I didn't book a handicap room and wanted them to move me to a different room. They said that they had over booked and could not move us. If we wanted to move we would have to pay $35.00 more for a room with a jacuzzi. Well we didn't want that so took the handicap room. I will never do that again..I will just refuse the room. The bed was super hard and I don't have a clue what the sheets were made of as they were so rough...Maybe they were made the keep handicap people from falling out of the bed.. They were so rough that they would irritate your elbows if you tried to turn over in bed. I am use to a pillow top mattress and if that bed had a pillow top on it then it has been broken down as it certainly wasn't soft. We spent a lot of time at the casino and had lots of fun over there. We ate at the buffet and the food was good. Just disappointed in the room..I must say it was nice and clean and very nice smelling. The front desk employees were very nice and tried to help us out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
I'm so sorry we couldn't provide you with the room you preferred. We do our best to accommodate room requests, but it is based on availability. We appreciate your feedback and would like to follow up with you. Please feel free to send your contact information and details of your experience to AtYourServiceCB@ameristar.com. I'm glad you enjoyed our casino and buffet, and we do hope you continue to be our guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We decided to go out for our Thanksgiving feast, and after reading the reviews regarding the Council Bluffs area casinos we decided to give Ameristar a try. We were not dissapointed! The foods were all very hot and fresh, tasted very good, and the service was on point. We cant say anything negative about the buffet. They had the regular items available, but also added lots of Thanksgiving Day favorites. We walked through the casino- visited the little gift shop which was very reasonable. The casino was your typical casino, smokey and full of slots. We arent gamblers so we dint stay longer than just for a quick look around.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
I'm so glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving meal with us! Thanks for visiting and for sharing your review.
LINCOLN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Ameristar at Council Bluffs is a beautiful hotel, great food and super nice staff. They are all about making your stay extra special. The whirlpool rooms are extra nice if they are available. All the rooms are nice. Buffet is great! Casino is a little smoky, but not as bad as some others we have been to in the area.

Room Tip: if there is a BAND the night you stay ask for a room that is NOT directly above the bar.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, Suzie. I'm so glad you enjoy visiting us and we hope you can stay again soon.
Mankato, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Check in was fast and easy and staff was very kind !!
(BED WAS A LITTLE TO FIRM FOR US BUT THAT IS SO SUBJECTIVE..)
Wonderful dining in there many restaurants and superb buffet..
The Casino is the best ..More comps and bigger payout's than I have seen from any Iowa Casino.
ALSO LOTS OF INTERESTING THINGS TO DO IN THE AREA BETWEEN COUNCIL BLUFFS AND
OMAHA.. SHOPPING/ ZOO / PARKS ETC.

Room Tip: higher floors have a better outside view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thanks, Howard, for staying with us and for posting your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation and hope you can visit again.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

This is my very first review ever of any hotel.... And sad to say it was not good at all!

When we arrived at ameristar in council bluffs Iowa to check in it was a Saturday afternoon about 4pm and there was only 2 front desk people working and my wife and I along with others waited almost 15 minutes to check in, when we finally did get to the front desk we weren't welcomed and the girl really was not friendly.. I told her I was excited because my birthday was in a few days.... She didn't say anything at all she just said your room number is 323 gave us 1 card for my wife and I and that's it..... My wife said could she please have a card also and the lady acted like it was a big deal!

We finally made our way up to our room with NO offer of help at all.... We got to our room #323 and I noticed when we walked in it smelled very stale like a musty smell, when getting settled in I noticed there was a couple black long hairs one on the pillow the other under the comforter, there was also many fiber prints on the tv bezel and both the side bed table and the dresser on which the tv was on.

Going in to use the restroom I noticed another strand of black hair stuck to the bathroom door up high.. And what appeared to be a few stubble hairs by the sink from someone who had shaved, we were going to go downstairs and say something however the way we were treated when we were checked in was unpleasant so I did not . We left for a while and came back to meet our friends in the lobby area of the hotel for dinner.. We wanted something fast and not to heavy so we went to the little perkins/Dennis type diner for food.... When we walked up we were asked how our night was going.... However there was a waitress I never found out her name Caucasian maybe 23 years old or so with black hair and a blonde streak that seemed very irritated to have us eating there... Unsure if she was upset at a worker or ready to go home, we ordered some sodas and the pibb extra we ordered tasted funny our friend let his soon to be wife taste it she even said it was off tasting.... Our friends had the chicken Noodle soup and both said it was very very salty.. 1 friend ordered the sunrise burger and said it was pretty good a little over cooked our other friend got the chicken fingers and she said they were just ok, my wife and I shared the fish and fries and for I believe was 12.99 we got 3 small pieces of fried fish and about 20 French fries....... The fish was over cooked and so were the French fries... Needless to say it was not a big hit......

We went out for a while and came back with our good friends from out of town, we went up to the room to relax for a bit and talk before we headed downstairs to the casino, immediately upon walking into the room our friend said yuck your room smells like my grandma's house old and musty, it was embarrassing! I tried turning on the lamp next to the bed and the light bulb blew also, we sat and talked in our room for a while and then proceeded downstairs to the casino area which is even for a once in a while smoker very very very smokey... We stayed for a while and then our friends left and we we went back upstairs about 1am......on our floor it was very loud with people laughing and a little what sounded like a drunk man yelling.... Finally got to sleep and then went downstairs to check out.... We were going to tell the front desk about the TERRIBLE first stay HOWEVER AGAIN only 2 front desk people working.. So we just dropped our keys and asked the valet for our vehicle...... We waited a good 15 minutes for it........ I left ameristar very disappointed and feel there was many things that could have been better........ Hopefully a manager will contact me... If not this will definitely be a NEVER stay again and only have unkind things to say about this property........

• Stayed October 2012
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
I'm so sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your recent experience. We work hard to provide a quality stay and service to our guests, and I'm sorry if we fell short this time. We would definitely like to follow up with you, as we are continuously working to improve. Please feel free to send your contact information to atyourserviceCB@ameristar.com and we would be happy to contact you. Thanks for taking the time to post your review and we hope you give us another try.
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We recently stayed at the Hotel, it was wonderful, all of the staff were more than accomodating, I was impressed with lack of cigarette smell, the room was spacious, VERY clean, the buffet was really good, pool was great, the lobby is probably the nicest lobby I have ever seen, it was like a small city, very much different than others I have seen. Will stay again.

Room Tip: Can't say about other rooms, we had a king bed room, it was large, comfortable and CLEAN. One th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for staying with us and for sharing your review, Deana! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to your return.
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Overnight Stay in King Jacuzzi room for 34th Anniversary.
Check in with Jo-Ann (?) was very pleasant.
Room was very clean, well appointed, comfortable bed.
Room service delivered the wine and snack tray right on time.
We decided on our evening meal at Bourbon and BBQ, glad we did as the line to the buffet was almost out the door! I had the halibut special and would not recommend it. The crab bisque soup was very salty. Our service was OK but did observe two other servers making talking at length with a couple of tables near by.
Casino was fine, had a late snack at the bakery which the server was very good and the coffee and carrot cake was fine.
Staff we encountered in walking thru your facility were always greeting us which showed very good training and they should be recognized for making one feel welcome and appreciated.
Overall a good stay but would not recommend Bourbon and BBQ based on our experience.

Room Tip: River view if available is nice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thanks, Don, for sharing your review and for visiting us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, however I'm sorry you were not satisfied with your experience at Bourbon's. We value our guests’ feedback and we would like to follow up with you; please feel free to send your contact information and details about your visit to AtYourServiceCB@ameristar.com.

Been to Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs? Share your experiences!