“Great Manager Jerod” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Coralville
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
“Great Manager Jerod”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

We traveled to Coralville to spend Chritmas with family who moved to Nebraska. Jared noticed that our last names were the same and booked us with rooms next to each other. We were, by request, in rooms that took pets. The rooms were very clean and nice, but the hallway and our room smelled of smoke. It seemed that our bathroom vent drew in the odor. We slept the first night with the window open. Our son could not be in our room because it bothered his allergies too much. We reported the problem the next day. They tried to fix it , but were unsuccessful. Jared gave us an upgraded room and discount. He offered our family a different room as well, but their room did not smell of smoke and decided it was too hard to move with all their things as they have two small children. Our new room was very nice. One note...we are Platinum Priority Club members and should have an automatic upgrade when checking in if available. Thank you to Jared for making our stay better the second night.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ChrisPhillipsAGM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Coralville, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Muktown,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I apologize for the smoke smell issue you had with your guest room. I assure you that this is not the norm, and we will make every effort to ensure it doesn't happen again. I will pass along your positive comments to Jarod.

We hope that you'll give us the opportunity to make this up to you the next time you're passing through.

cphillips@kinseth.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

wow, i'm glad i didn't read the reviews before staying here. but when you use priceline or hotwire you don't get to pick a specific hotel so you take your chances. if i paid full price, i would definitely have some criticisms. but the room was clean, comfortable, and most importantly, cheap. the service wasn't friendly, but it didn't suck. the power went out at some point in the morning, so it's a good thing i set the alarm on my phone and i didn't have a flight to catch.

i'm thinkin' i'll never need a hotel room in iowa city ever again. but if i do, i'll "splurge" on a 3.5 star hotel, which would probably be the sheraton, and would probably only be slightly more $ than a 3 star like this one.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ChrisPhillipsAGM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Coralville, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Erin E:

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review for our hotel. I take all of our guest feedback seriously and would like to assure you that total guest satisfaction is the goal of our entire staff. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are performing and what can be done to better meet your needs. Your feedback is appreciated.

Kearney, NE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Although this is an older Holiday Inn, the personnel and facility is one of the best Holiday Inns we have revisited. We used our Priority Club points as a stay over on a trip to the East Coast. From the moment we arrived until departure we were treated as welcomed guests. We had stayed here last here returning from Wisconsin and the experience was equally as pleasant as this stay. We would recommend this Holiday Inn to anyone staying in the area. The attached restaurant is also an excellent place to eat. Kudos to the staff and owners of this top notch Holiday Inn.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ChrisPhillipsAGM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Coralville, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear RtripKearney:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to fill out the survey and hope the Holiday Inn will continue to be your hotel of choice in the Iowa City/ Coralville area.

Ames, Iowa, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We noted at 10:30 pm that the room was getting incomfortably warm...called for service and were notified that the service guy would be up soon to fix the problem. He arrived and did exactly as I had already done... Turned the nobs on the air conditioner unit this way and that way... Only to end up agreeing with me that the air conditioner wasn't working.

They moved us to an even warmer ...stinky smoking room at 11:00, said there were no non-smoking rooms available. Please note I was able to go online and find one on holiday inn's own web site. The front desk told me this was due to her switching rooms and that our old room was now available for others to rent. She offered us a $20 voucher for breakfast ...

She said this was all they could do for us as we rented through Hotwire.

Ok holiday inn.. If you can't refund me for this stay..or give me something to make up for your lack of service you get one star rating. Try harder next time. I felt as though the manager and staff had no empathy for our situation and, quite frankly, offering to buy two of us some crappy breakfast just doesn't cut it nowadays.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Davi P:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with our hotel. I take all of our guest feedback seriously and would like to assure you that total guest satisfaction is the goal of our entire staff.

We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are performing and what can be done to better meet your needs. I have reviewed your comments and I apologize that we fell below your standards. I have shared these comments with my front desk staff and went through training on service recovery with them on this example. Going forward we will respond better to issues like this.

IF you do find yourself in the Iowa City/Coralville area again please let me know and I’ll personally make sure your stay is completely satisfactory. I hope we get the opportunity to make this up to you.

Schaumburg, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

A quiet experience overall, but we were worried when we saw there were 2 weddings there that weekend. The staff (Jarad) was great from reservations to check-in and check-out. The room was a little worn but it was clean, although a change in carpet would be first up. The hotel has the oddest layout/configuration - and we never even saw where the restaurant was (maybe it's in the front of the hotel?) as we only used the side/lobby entrance. For a $10 off coupon we figured it was high-priced for breakfast so we opted to go to a nearby restaurant or McDonald's. Convenient to an exit off 80, as well as nearby Univ. of Iowa. There is road construction for a few miles and at that exit for the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ChrisPhillipsAGM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Coralville, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear njm0058:

I am writing you today in regards to the survey which you recently filled out. I was pleased to see that our hotel met your high standards and am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

It’s great to hear that my Front Desk Supervisor Jarod was so helpful. I will share your positive comments with him. Our main goal in the hospitality industry is guest satisfaction and it is encouraging to receive such high regards from a guest.

I do apologize for the configuration of the hotel and the location of the restaurant. Sometimes they layout can be confusing. We do have plans to renovate in the future to resolve some of these issues.

Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to another opportunity to have you as our guest.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Pleasant stay. No problems. Funniest front desk clerk I have ever encountered.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Iowa City, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

After a long flight in I arrived at the hotel at 11:30 at night. The woman at the desk was very nice and gave me a room on the first floor. It turns out that this is the pet floor. The only way to get to the first floor is to go down a flight or narrow stairs. When I stopped outside of the room to key in, there was a horrible smell, like dog urine and feces mixed with cigarette smoke. I thought it was just the hallway, but when I opened the door the smell was so overwhelming I gagged. And to add insult to injury, the dogs in the room next door barked incessantly the entire time.
I hauled all the luggage back up the stairs to the lobby and asked for another room. The woman said the rooms were all full but eventually found two rooms open, both smoking rooms. She took me to see them. We stopped at the first room and the employee said "this won't work" before she even opened the door. The smell of cigarette smoke was so horrible you could smell it in the hallway. She opened the door enough for me to see in and then shut it before I said anything. The second room was noxious also, just not quite as bad as the other rooms. While we were at the front desk talking about it, four or five other guests checked in and went straight to their rooms. I asked why I didn't get one of their rooms, as I had already pre-paid, was a member of their priority club and had arrived earlier. She said she couldn't do that but couldn't explain why. After 2 hours of phone calls between the front desk and the manager's home, I left. The manager wanted me to stay in the smelly room for a night and wait to see if any other room became available the next day. He wouldn't guarantee a different room and refused to pay for a room at a different hotel for the first night. He also wouldn't even consider comping part of the stay. The woman at the front desk was embarrassed to tell me this but didn't have a choice. I ended up leaving at 1:30 in the morning to find another hotel room.
The rooms I saw were some of the worst I have ever seen, and believe me, I've seen some bad ones. The manager was horrible and could have cared less that the rooms were inhabitable. Please, please, please avoid this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear sweepergrl:

On behalf of the Holiday Inn I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided about your recent experience at our property, and apologize for what was clearly an unsatisfactory stay. We are extremely disappointed that we let you down, particularly with our communication regarding your reservation and room type.

We’ve talked about your feedback as a team and I want to assure you that we’re committing to give more clarity to our guests about room types and their locations.

I would like the opportunity to welcome you back at my property and I’m sure that your next stay will be much more delightful after we are able to fulfill your room location preference. Please contact me directly at 319.351.5049 ext. 100 the next time your travels bring you into Iowa City/Coralville. I will personally take care of your room assignment and I will ensure that you next stay with us will be perfect.

cphillips@kinseth.com

Been to Holiday Inn Coralville? Share your experiences!