“Amazing breakfast!! Clean hotel - great prices!” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   87 Second Street, Coralville, IA 52241-2603   |
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Coralville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Amazing breakfast!! Clean hotel - great prices!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I love this hotel. It's the perfect distance to U of I and the breakfast just blew me away. They had a wide selection of fresh fruits,yogurts, muffins, bagels, breads, cereals, hard boiled eggs, coffee, juices and two different flavors of cappuccino to choose from plus hot cocoa. That was plenty for me, then I turn around and they have staff making fresh made to order omelettes for you!

The hotel is clean and quiet and the staff is great. The grounds are NOT neglected and this is most definitely a "normal" hotel. (?) I stay here everytime I go to U of Iowa. I cannot recommend this place enough.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Newton, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Had a not so good experience in March but they offered to let us come back at half price so we came back. Rooms were much cleaner and they're obviously trying to update the outside and grounds. Free Internet, breakfast and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are best.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Great staff!! Rooms are clean and love that they provide breakfast and some dinners. But the outside grounds are very neglected!!!! The tables and chairs are never wiped off . There is trash laying all over the grounds in the back of the hotel and the trash out back it seems never to get changed. I would highly suggest having a grounds keeper. A hotel should be nice from the outside in. Out of everywhere I have stayed from iowa all the way down to flordia worst kept grounds ever.

• Stayed July 2013
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that you were staying during the period that we were replacing the roof on the hotel. I know that there was all kinds of roofing debris outside the hotel while the roofers were here. I do apologize for this. Plus, the city has been doing maintenance work along the river behind the hotel to further add to the problem. Please consider a return trip and I promise we will be neat and tidy again very soon!!! I do hope that your travels will bring you our way again!!
Willard, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Heartland Inn is our favorite hotel in the Coraville, IA area. The room we stayed in was large, we enjoyed free wireless internet, an amazing breakfast, dinners, the indoor pool, and even complimentary cookies. The staff was friendly and helpful. My husband and I LOVE the Heartland Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Springtown
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This place is more for long-term residents. I didn't see *anybody* else bring luggage. One guy was napping on a couch just inside, a desk lady was processing ?medical paperwork for someone, other folks were being served a hotdog supper in a soup-kitchen-like fashion. The room was fine. The people working seemed very nice. It just was still uncomfortable to me. Also, it is non-smoking inside, but dozens of folks blocked the entrances smoking by every door. The parking lot had lots of workman trucks and local people cars, not the packed minivans of travellers. It just was NOT normal! But, if this is what you need at a juncture of life, I am sure they would welcome you. Bless them.

• Stayed June 2013
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. We do a certain amount of long term stays, due to our proximity to the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics and the Veterans Hospital. Many guests require long term stays, however not all. Some of our guest are like yourself and only stay a night or two. We do welcome a variety of guests....from hospital guests to guests working in the area to folks just passing thru the area. I guess I don't know what a" normal" traveler would be. We do offer a complimentary grill out every Wednesday night as well as light dinners other nights. Our guests really appreciate the extra amenities we offer, especially the fresh baked cookies!!! We are 100% smoke free, but, do allow smoking outside the building. We are welcoming to all guests and hope that you will try us again sometime!!
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed over on way to Des Moines, got room for $40 on hot-wire and it was worth it. Yes it is old and in need of updating, but it was quiet and comfortable enough. Needed new pillows, gave us neck aches, but bed was nice. Went for a swim at 11 pm which was a nice way to wind down after road trip, again needed updating but was nice enough. The seem to talk a lot about 'non smoking', but we walked through clouds of smoke in the hallways on our way to the pool, so I don't think it was enforced. Breakfast was honestly the worst hot/cold breakfast we had in years, need to revamp it some too. But free is for me. :) over all was worth exactly what we paid for it and would use it again.

Room Tip: Ask for river side room for less noise from late night restaurants.ask for extra pillows, bring own...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate your opinion. We recently completed installing all new furniture in the rooms. So, we are continually updating and making upgrades. If your travels should bring you our way again, please just request extra pillows or different pillows, we are more than able to accommodate your needs. I am thinking that perhaps you missed our breakfast?? That is an area that we get many positive comments in ....guests love our made to order fresh hot waffles or pancakes. Plus, the fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels, English muffins and biscuits/gravy are solid hits as well. We are 100% smoke free, we do allow smoking outside of the building and do our very best to enforce that at all times. I hope that your travels will bring you our way again. Again, thank you for your feedback!
Rochester, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff help us checkin quickly and get different rooms because I didn't book correct number of guests and we needed two beds in each room(2 rooms). The staff was really accommodating. Rooms were a bit small in this dated, but clean hotel. Breakfast was an expanded continental buffet, mediocre at best. I wouldn't want to spend my vacation here, but it was clean, quiet, had courtesy staff, and was an outstanding value booked through hotwire.com

I will stop here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for taking time to let us know how your stay with us was!! Thank you for noticing our excellent housekeeping staff....they do keep us clean and tidy!!! At Heartland Inn, we strive to provide the best customer service possible and we appreciate you noticing the accommodating staff. We do hope that you will stop by again!!!

Been to Heartland Inn - Coralville? Share your experiences!